MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
 on: January 14, 2019, 08:03:30 PM 
Started by Chips - Last post by Gottlieb
Funny that people are just now noticing that Monroe has been struggling 15 years after the Ford plant shutdown.  It’s been going on for a very long time so congrats for catching up.  This same phenomena happens with the stock market. 

Some good things are actually starting to happen though.  The plans for the National Battlefield Park are really nice and will help the east side, reduce blight, create some nice walking paths (think connectivity) and add green space which draws people to cities.  Not everyone wants to live out in the boonies of Monroe County, stranded on your 5 acre property on 60 mph dirt road.  Wow, that’s freedom.  It’s nice to be able to walk or bike somewhere, to a park, to a friends house, to get some ice cream. That’s what a small town is about.

Tearing down the old homes is exactly what they should be doing.  If not, some wanna be slum lords will just continue to buy them cheap, rent them out to people who could give a crap less about the properties all while doing just enough repairs to avoid getting fined by the city.  At some point, they become worthless.  The key is getting more home OWNERS with skin in the game and less renters.

A lot of what plagues the city has also hurt the entire Midwest.  Globalization and exporting of blue collar jobs left communities with high school level educations with nothing to do.  The parents that worked the blue collar jobs that have left the city no doubt did not guide their kids to college because, hell, they never went to oollege. Now those kids are milling around popping pills....like rest of the country.

Monroe can have a come back though.  It’s on a Great Lake and has a major river running right through it.  Those natural resources are priceless and can’t be duplicated elsewhere.  Getting rid of the dam(s) to let the wild fish spawn is great.  Think fly fishing if you don’t sit in front of the big glowing talking box.  Having lived in the big city for 26 years (spouse’s family is from Monroe), the traffic is brutal, it’s one big faceless bedroom community after another and is still very dependent on a tenuous auto industry. 

on: January 14, 2019, 06:19:09 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by Monroe Native
It always amazes me the type of idiots that some news papers chose to employ.

A prime example of this can be read weekly in the Monroe Evening News.

Caitlin Taylors wonderful poorly thought out column this week was on how wonderful it is that our fine Governor has ordered that employers provide contraceptives.

My first thought - wasn't this part of Obscure?

Why would a Governor even need to order it?  Barry already took care of this.

Next thought - was on how naive this young lady is.

Her closing statement was:

So basically, I’d say Whitmer’s decision was a positive one — and one that’ll help no matter your side of the political spectrum.

So this young lady is totally oblivious that some people find contraceptives morally wrong based on religious convictions?  Are you kidding me?  Where was she as multiple businesses went to the supreme court over this issue?

I just don't understand how this individual can consider themselves a journalist with this level of understanding on issues like this.

Baffling.

https://www.monroenews.com/news/20190114/caitlin-taylor-whitmers-order-on-contraceptives-good-for-women

on: January 14, 2019, 06:08:12 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by Monroe Native
half

on: January 14, 2019, 04:22:54 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by Maverick
breed

on: January 14, 2019, 03:41:10 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by FritzTheKat
extinct

on: January 14, 2019, 12:26:53 PM 
eliminated

on: January 14, 2019, 11:34:57 AM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by SidecarFlip
removed

on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:49 AM 
put

on: January 14, 2019, 10:28:02 AM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by blue2
shot

on: January 14, 2019, 10:04:45 AM 
Started by SidecarFlip - Last post by blue2
I know if I voted for the man and thought the board was about to usurp my vote id be at the meeting.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10