MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:45:21 PM 
Started by Monroe Native - Last post by Professor H
Just got back from SEC land...  LSU  (New Orleans)   it was funny watching all the Bulldogs puffed up all week - and the razzing they took as they got their butts whipped...   

Only good news is that one of them could potentially do it to Bama  but not likely -   
It would be funny to see the year the SEC is left out but Pac 10 and Big 12 look that way this year with ND in...

As far as Sparty -  I don't see Lewerke beating the D and we finally saw the gloves off on the offense! 

on: Today at 12:24:35 PM 
Started by John Kopke - Last post by SidecarFlip
Most of the politicians doing nothing about the current financial situation will be dead before the bottom falls out.

Fair statement.  Why should they care anyway.  They have cush to death...

I see Stormy Daniels lost in court and has to pay Trump's legal fees.  How nice. and....

Liz Warren is like 1/259th percent American Indian.  Another patent liar.

The beat goes on...

on: Today at 12:11:12 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by BigRedDog
I've posted about this before in the 'neighbors' thread but it's time it had it's own thread.

Prior info:  http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=30714.msg731544#msg731544

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=30714.msg744623#msg744623

We spent a few days over at Lake Hudson last week and made a slight detour (actually two of them) on the way home.  We went to the middle of nowhere to the actual site of the crash.  The roads aren't too great in 2018 so I can only imagine what they must have been like in 1901.  Even an emergency response must have taken several hours. 

Unfortunately there is no marker or memorial of any type at the actual location of the crash.  Maybe the property owner doesn't want a lot of traffic and for sure the road isn't wide enough much traffic. 

I wanted to take a photo of the scene but decided to do a 180 degree panorama to show the general location and to make sure I got the actual crash site in the photo. 

I was out taking pictures and a gentleman pulled down the road behind us in a Jeep.  I knew he had enough room to squeeze by but he stopped and got out.  I though he was maybe going to challenge me for taking pictures.  He was a neighbor and familiar with the crash.  He told me that they used the old midwest foursquare farmhouse at the right of the photo for an emergency hospital to treat the relatively few people that survived the crash. 

One day I'll take our son and a couple of his drones and we'll do some aerial photos and videos of the actual site.  At this point there is no way to reach it without trespassing on either farm property or the railroad itself.  I'd rather deal with a mad farmer than the Norfolk Southern Railroad Police!

The crash site is somewhere near the center of my photo along the railroad grade (obviously).

The 2nd detour involved heading back Northeast to Adrian to the Oakwood Cemetery which is where the burial site and memorial to those who died in the crash is located.  The cemetery is huge and the streets are not real wide.  We were hauling the camper and although I could have navigated ok I may have had to force someone off the road going the other way.  Plus we didn't know exactly where the memorial is so we headed on home.

We did stop and have our lunch at the old Wabash railroad terminal in Adrian. 

I'll post more on this again.  We're planning a trip to go take pictures of the memorial.

on: Today at 11:07:14 AM 
A different perspective:

Does't look like they've made any effort to block the entry for this one. 

Looks like someone has had to do a minor repair at the base of the 'chimney' at some point.

on: Today at 11:02:50 AM 
Obviously some of the same artists have found both places.  This looks like the overflow pipe going out.

Long and low:

I was running out of time so didn't bother checking directions. 

on: Today at 10:57:34 AM 
The next day we got loaded up and headed toward Lake Hudson to spend a few days there.  Before we completely left the area we headed across Hwy 124 to the 'beach' side of the park to look for the other water structure that was built about the same time according to what the park staff has told me.

If you're familiar with the beach and the playground you've stood below the water tank. 

This is the current water system for the park.  There is a 4" well just out of view to the left.  The 'old' structure I was looking for is up the hill to the right.  There are probably easier routes but this one wasn't too bad.  I went down the hill later right behind the tank and it would be a good hike going uphill.  I had the dog with me and on his leash so he kept trying to pull me down along with gravity.  He's a lot shorter and has 4 wheel drive so he definitely had an advantage.

Anyway, the trip up the hill was definitely worth it.  Completely different style and more interesting design.  The park ranger told me they refer to it as 'the tomb'!  I can see that!!!

on: Today at 10:44:14 AM 
Looking SouthWest.  Not another hill in sight anywhere.  Everything from here is downhill.

I did measure while I was there but don't have my notepad with me right now.  I'll post those later. 

At this point in my 'journey' we got rained out so I retreated to the camper and watched the campfire slowly get overcome by the rain. 

on: Today at 10:35:49 AM 
Looking North:

Looking NorthEast.  I did remember to grab my gloves when I went back down the ladder.

Looking southeast:

on: Today at 10:30:22 AM 
Well, it will still definitely hold up 200 pounds!

The  park ranger told me that they have tried to keep that plate in place to keep explorers out but it just keeps getting bent back down.  Pretty sure I could fab something that would keep most of them out but short of a 24 hour security system I'm sure someone would figure out how to get in.  I know I would ;D ;D ;D

Those are my gloves and notepad and 25' tape measure on top of the 'chimney'.  All I found up there was lots and lots of leaves.  I was surprised there were no signs of squirrels getting up there.  I saw several scurrying around while I was up there.  Some fox squirrels and some black squirrels. 

Lots of leaves down but still a lot hanging on the trees.

There have been more than a few 'artists' and explorers down there over the years.

You can see the inside of the overflow pipe circled in blue.

on: Today at 10:18:48 AM 
I forgot to take a rake along but did clean around the parts of the base that weren't exposed and found these pipes.  One in and one out?  May be able to tell more once I get inside.

This appears to be an overflow and it looks like it may have been retrofitted or replaced.  You can see the 'patch' around it.
It's in the area of the 'chimney' which is also where the possible entrance is.  More pictures of that shortly.

Finally I'm up the ladder and seeing my first glimpse of the top.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10