MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?  (Read 8944 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: What do you Like and Dislike about Monroe ?
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2018, 03:09:26 PM »

Downtown Chelsea is awesome.

Chelsea, Dundee, Tecumseh, Milan and others are all smaller (basically have one main street) unlike Monroe.  For a valid comparison, use Adrian.  Adrian has the same issues as Monroe, it's downtown is mired on political postulation and the atmosphere is stagnant.  People in Adrian go outside downtown to do everything, just like Monroe.  I think it has to do with size, age of infrastructure and poor vehicular planning (one way streets and go nowhere streets)

I find downtown Monroe and Adrian depressing.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2018, 07:34:46 PM »

Agree downtown Adrian is confusing.  I've bee thru it many times in last 20 years going to the schools.   On the way home I almost always end up where I didn't want to be

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2018, 07:43:28 PM »

Chelsea, Dundee, Tecumseh, Milan and others are all smaller (basically have one main street) unlike Monroe.  For a valid comparison, use Adrian.  Adrian has the same issues as Monroe, it's downtown is mired on political postulation and the atmosphere is stagnant.  People in Adrian go outside downtown to do everything, just like Monroe.  I think it has to do with size, age of infrastructure and poor vehicular planning (one way streets and go nowhere streets)

I find downtown Monroe and Adrian depressing.

I do too - that is I find them depressing.

I find it depressing how far down hill Monroe has went in the last 10-15 years.

I think the more telling demographic between Monroe / Adrian and all those other places is Median Income.

I have this crazy theory that there is a direct correlation between Median Income and Education.  I also have a crazy theory that higher education levels are found around nice places to live and work.

Monroe - and probably Adrian - long prided itself as blue collar union towns.  Now - Monroe had some money - La Z Boy, Monroe Auto Equipment, Paper Mills, but all those people are long dead, and their kids took a look around town and have appeared to leave.  Now - I have no issue with blue collar at all - but you have to admit that with the decline of Auto Manufacturing Jobs - the ability to get a 6 figure job with a high school diploma went by the wayside.

Did you know that Monroe's Median income is half that of most of the other cities I listed?

Monroe has become a commuter town if you want a high paying job for the most part.

The reason to move their is location, the lake, the fishing, and low housing prices and low taxes.

I'm not sure how long those will be compelling reasons to live there if it continues on the course it has been on the last 10-15 years.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2018, 09:26:14 PM »

...and they both have poor governance.  The only thing Adrian has going for it is the colleges on the north east side of town.  Adrian has a big drug issue, just like Monroe but Adrian has very few blacks and more Mexicans whereas Monroe has very few Mexicans and more blacks.

Didn't bother to compare Ann Arbor to either because Ann Arbor is a different ball game.  Jackson is like Monroe and Adrian, downtown is depressing.

Don't know about unemployment figures or people on public assistance bit I'd say both Adrian and Monroe have plenty.

Of course the City of Adrian is allowing a mary-jane operation in, across from Inteva on Beecher Street diagonally across from Gus Harrison.  That will be interesting in itself.  At least Adrian and Madison Township have a full time police department, they are going to need it.  I have a feeling that it will wind up a net loss enterprise for the city.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2018, 09:30:40 PM »

Agree downtown Adrian is confusing.  I've bee thru it many times in last 20 years going to the schools.   On the way home I almost always end up where I didn't want to be

Supposedly it's fixed but you could fool me.  Before it was a cluster fudge going north or south on M52.  Now, it's jut a PITA.

Like Monroe.  I've never understood why city planners designate one way streets.  I wonder if any of the have ever negotiated them.

Something else that Adrian has in common with Monroe is back alleys.

...and Adrian, like Monroe is loosing retail tenents in their Mall.  It's basically a ghost town.  people don't do malls today but Monroe has 2 losers, Adrian only has one.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:33:59 PM by SidecarFlip »

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »

Like Monroe.  I've never understood why city planners designate one way streets.  I wonder if any of the have ever negotiated them.

I think the answer to that would mainly be to get more parking.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »

Something you appreciate if you spend a lot of town downtown is that it is much easier for a pedestrian to cross a one way street as you only have to really watch for traffic coming at you from one direction.  It is a good idea to double check when you first start across the street though for that occasional out of towner that can't read the 'one way' signs.

I think the answer to that would mainly be to get more parking.

That would make sense.

Seems to me most of the towns i see that have one way streets are the older towns and in the older areas.  Monroe and Ann Arbor immediately come to mind. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up