MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline  (Read 5527 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2017, 09:04:03 AM »

You are being pretty nosy BRD..... ;D

I read in the Adrian paper (never showed up in the MN) that Enbridge reports that sections of coating are missing on the line, which one, I'm not sure.

Anyway, another day closes closer to the eventual failure of the lines.

I figured we were there so I might as well do some snooping!

I will say that at this point there appears to be a fury of activity going on but since it's all 'under' the straits it's not easy to verify. 

And at least I got another nice closeup view of the 'real' Mackinaw Ice Breaker...   always been my favorite ship on the Great Lakes.  We went to do the on board 'farewell' tour when it was in Toledo several years ago.  Very fitting that it is sitting so close to the straits these days. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »

Could be the 'gooey' straits at anytime.  I just hope that when it (line 5 pukes), it's in the summer and not when the straits are iced over.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »

I haven't had time to read much local news but I do have a Google alert set for Line 5 info and those get sent to my email.  Here's thew basics of what I've seen in the last week or so!!!

Apparently Enbridge has been a little less than 100% honest with their reporting on their own analysis.  Imagine that!

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/09/line_5_coating_inspection.html

Little doubt what the massive underwater project was that my wife and witnessed going on in the straits the week of Labor Day!!!  I'm sure they're hurrying so they can claim it's all hunky dory again >:( >:( >:(

My Comcast is going on and off...   someone must be playing with it...   Duke Energy is here now repairing some of the above ground power lines.  Unfortunately everything then goes underground and anyone with an underground issue is being told it may be 'several' weeks before anyone will be able to even look at the problem!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/09/15/detection-larger-thtest-enbridge-straits-mackinac-oil-pipelines-missing-coating-riles-state-official/670016001/

This one is an audio from Michigan Radio.  I haven't had time to listen to it yet.  I know they can get a bit radical at times but they're also usually pretty good at reporting the facts.  I guess anyone can have an opinion on the topic.

http://michiganradio.org/post/just-shut-line-5-down

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2017, 05:09:33 PM »

I would never expect Enbbridge to be honest and forthright.  Not in their makeup.  It's an oil company after all.  Profit first, safety second, public welfare, dead last...

One day closer to rupturing...  I bet when it does, the people who are supposed to monitor it will be asleep at the switch (valve), just like the Kalamazoo River incident.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »

I would never expect Enbbridge to be honest and forthright.  Not in their makeup.  It's an oil company after all.  Profit first, safety second, public welfare, dead last...

One day closer to rupturing...  I bet when it does, the people who are supposed to monitor it will be asleep at the switch (valve), just like the Kalamazoo River incident.

I like oil.

It makes the cars run.

It heats houses.

I'm glad companies supply it to us.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2017, 01:06:47 PM »

I like oil.

It makes the cars run.

It heats houses.

I'm glad companies supply it to us.

I do too but that don't excuse being honest and safe about supplying it.  Enbridge is neither and has proven that before.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »

I do too but that don't excuse being honest and safe about supplying it.  Enbridge is neither and has proven that before.

Shite happens Flip.

I'm sure you've had plenty of truck drivers tell that to you?

Some of the time it was probably true?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »

Speaking of oil. Isn't this ridiculous??

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Toledo-Refining-says-government-mandate-could-cost-jobs--445446413.html

What is ridiculous is lobbyists for the farmers have had regulators and lawmakers pass stupid laws and regulations that says I have to burn ethanol - which is hard on the fuel systems of my vehicles, and lowers my mpg's, and raises my cost per gallon.

That is what is ridiculous.

And oh yes - the US Ethanol MUST be made from CORN - not sugar cane - per the lobbyists demands.

That causes the cost of FOOD to go up too.

It is a double screwing - at the behest of special interests - but hey - it will stop global warming - right?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2017, 12:20:24 AM »

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »

Speaking of oil. Isn't this ridiculous??

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Toledo-Refining-says-government-mandate-could-cost-jobs--445446413.html

Don'r need to be there anyway.  I don't see Marathon in Ecorse whining.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2017, 08:52:00 AM »

What is ridiculous is lobbyists for the farmers have had regulators and lawmakers pass stupid laws and regulations that says I have to burn ethanol - which is hard on the fuel systems of my vehicles, and lowers my mpg's, and raises my cost per gallon.

That is what is ridiculous.

And oh yes - the US Ethanol MUST be made from CORN - not sugar cane - per the lobbyists demands.

That causes the cost of FOOD to go up too.

It is a double screwing - at the behest of special interests - but hey - it will stop global warming - right?

Wrong.

I bet you'll find it interesting that the large majority of corn cookers are owned by offshore companies.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2017, 07:28:10 PM »

Wrong.

I bet you'll find it interesting that the large majority of corn cookers are owned by offshore companies.

Where did I say they weren't?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2017, 08:03:40 PM »

More on the missing patches of coating that have apparently been missing for 3 years!

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/10/enbridge_line_5_damage_2014_de.html#incart_river_home

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up