MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > Dog Stories

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog Stories  (Read 9971 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Dog Stories
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2017, 05:19:03 PM »

That is nasty ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »

Article in the Free Press this morning...

I'm not sure how anyone could just turn loose of their 'old' dogs but it's what the story discusses...

I give big kudos for the woman who is taking these old dogs in to share some love with them.

Warning...  parts of this story and video may make you emotional :-\ :-\ :-\

http://www.freep.com/story/news/columnists/john-carlisle/2017/04/15/dogs-hospice-silver-muzzle-michigan/99490688/
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2017, 08:07:21 AM »

I found this interesting and full of little facts by breed.

http://frank151.com/the-most-loyal-dog-breeds/?utm_source=taboola&utm_campaign=taboola_US_desktop_frank151-mostloyaldogs3-us-d-taboola_24_5afj_20170307_dl_4859&utm_term=usatodaydemo&utm_content=https%3A%2F%2Fconsole.brax-cdn.com%2Fcreatives%2Fc257b396-7bd6-476c-bac6-6ad061526256%2F17587137_1466016196803481_6179860732331425792_n_02bf2ec05c6824ded00fa2f10686b747.600x500.png&utm_medium=usatodaydemo

We had Schnauzers for years...   they are everything that article says they are. 

We didn't have any rats for them to hunt but we did have ground moles.  Old 'Gus' would sit on our front porch for hours just watching around the yard.  Eventually he would see or hear something and he would slink down off the porch and go in the direction of whatever he had seen or heard.  About 30 feet away he would get right down on his belly and do the low slow crawl and finally stop.  Then he would wait and finally 'pounce' and dig with his front feet like crazy for a few seconds...   9 times out of 10 he would come up with a big old ground mole. 

Maybe it's time for us to get a Schnauzer again...   the ground moles are making a return ;) ;) ;)

They are bred as Miniatures, Standards and Giants.  Even though Gus was papered as a mini he was the size of most standards. 

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »

When the time comes to get another dog I'm not sure which way we will go.  I don't think it will be a big dog, I think I am ready for a smaller lap dog of sorts.

If size didn't matter, I do believe I'd go with a mutt again......a Lab mix.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2017, 08:20:55 AM »

My wife had a Sheltie when she was quite young.  They raised cattle and it was so cool to watch that tiny (by comparison to an Angus steer anyway) dog literally herd those cattle.  She also had a horse and sometimes the dog would try to herd the horse...   but the horse didn't want to be herded so he would try to get the dog directly behind him and then try to launch him with his two back feet.  The dog was way quicker than the horse and it was fun to watch them play their game.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »

When the time comes to get another dog I'm not sure which way we will go.  I don't think it will be a big dog, I think I am ready for a smaller lap dog of sorts.

If size didn't matter, I do believe I'd go with a mutt again......a Lab mix.

We're not going to rush into another dog right now either.  We have our youngest daughter's Staffordshire Terrier (talk about a loyal critter) for the time being.  I'll be on the lookout for another outdoor alert dog though.

Most likely we'll go back to a Schnauzer is my guess right now. 

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2017, 09:00:25 PM »

http://www.mlive.com/sports/2017/06/check_out_all_these_very_good.html#incart_m-rpt-2

I can't imagine taking my bad azz dogs to a Tigers game.....

They would be chasing the ball all night long!!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »

Here's a lost dog story with a happy ending.  I know it's in Toledo but one of the gals does live in Bedford.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Dog-reunited-with-owner-after-more-than-a-year-437089003.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2017, 09:30:44 PM »

Muskegon is not one of my favorite Michigan destination cities but I might make an exception to go see this:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170826/museum-display-honors-military-dogs?start=2

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #130 on: August 30, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »

EMD just finished the 'last Wednesday 10 am' siren test.  We've still got quite a bit of fog outside and we have the front door open so the dog could really hear the guy talking before the test.  He stood in the door looking around...   trying to find the 'intruder to his territory'.  Once the siren started he calmed down and just stood there.  We had a dog that would go crazy anytime he heard a siren up close and literally start howling at it. 

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up