MonroeTalks.com > Categories > BlogsMonroe.com > All things green

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: All things green  (Read 10282 times)

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: How Deep to Plant Fruit Trees
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »

How Deep to Plant Fruit Trees
29 April 2010, 3:21 pm

Some confusion seems to surround the notion of dwarf, semi-dwarf and full sized (standard) fruit trees.Virtually all fruit trees sold these days have started out their life as a normal bud or twig growing on a tree.  A nurseryman cut the bud or twig (now called a scion) from that tree and grafted it onto [...]

Source: All things green

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: 30th Annual Plant Sale
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 09:32:52 PM »

30th Annual Plant Sale
4 May 2010, 8:16 pm

Still not decided what to do for Mother’s Day Weekend? Why not take Mom out to the big plant sale at the Matthaei Botanical Gardens in Ann Arbor.  This is a wonderful chance to see what’s new in the world of horticulture  and purchase some plants that may be very hard to find elsewhere. Members of the [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Critical Fruit Tree Spray Application
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2010, 09:20:07 AM »

Critical Fruit Tree Spray Application
10 May 2010, 8:14 am

Every year I get comments from people saying that they can’t seem to grow good fruit.  I ask if they have done any spraying to control insects and diseases, some say “not really”, others say “a little” and others say “yes, quite a bit”. Digging deeper I find a common thread, they all missed the [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Chance of Spring Frost Nearly Over
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »

Chance of Spring Frost Nearly Over
14 May 2010, 12:45 pm

We have arrived at the middle of May and that signals the  beginning of the main part of our gardening season here in Southeastern Michigan. According to records kept by the National Weather Service, the  chance of a late spring frost happening at this time of the year is  around 10% in the [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Chickens or Not?
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »

Chickens or Not?
19 May 2010, 3:26 pm

I’ve debated on whether or not chickens should be included in discussions about gardening. Judy and I are into our 4th year of keeping  chickens and have a current flock of  88 including laying hens and young pullets as well as cockerels for meat. Back when I was an Agriculture Agent decades ago, the answer to [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Better Luck With Carrots
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »

Better Luck With Carrots
26 May 2010, 10:20 am

One frequent complaint I hear from gardeners  is the bad luck they have with getting carrots to grow.  Often they mention that it hardly seems worth it since only a few seeds sprout and they end up with just a couple of carrots in the row. The problem can be traced back to improper planting; specifically [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Still Time for Planting
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2010, 09:14:29 PM »

Still Time for Planting
1 June 2010, 8:54 pm

Did you spend a lot of productive time in your garden over the Memorial Day weekend, or did you go out to the lake?  I hope you got a chance to do both, that’s what we did. Memorial Day  is the target date for getting gardens planted here in southeastern Michigan.  I’m guessing that a vast [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Backyard Chicken Related Post
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »

Backyard Chicken Related Post
2 June 2010, 11:54 am

I have posted an introduction to baby chick feed at our other website. There I discuss some of the types of feed commercially available for baby chicks. Bob

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Insect Attack on Fruit Trees
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2010, 10:24:39 AM »

Insect Attack on Fruit Trees
9 June 2010, 9:38 am

Back in May I wrote about the need for early sprays for your fruit trees and how critical those early sprays are. If you didn’t take my advice, you may have noticed some of the fruit on your trees have marks on them caused by insects. These developing fruits are the first casualties of the battle [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Wireworms
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »

Wireworms
14 June 2010, 1:55 pm

I decided to expand our vegetable garden this year by converting some of the wild area behind the existing garden into usable garden space. While tilling and planting I found these subterranean dwelling insects known as “wireworms”. You can see by the photo how they got their name, they sort of look like a piece of copper [...]

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: All things green: Better Luck With Carrots
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2010, 03:12:29 PM »

Better Luck With Carrots
26 May 2010, 10:20 am

One frequent complaint I hear from gardeners  is the bad luck they have with getting carrots to grow.  Often they mention that it hardly seems worth it since only a few seeds sprout and they end up with just a couple of carrots in the row. The problem can be traced back to improper planting; specifically [...]

The trick, if you will, for planting carrots, is to plant them in well, deep tilled soil with leaf lettuce.  That way, the faster sprouting lettuce marks the row and the slower carrots develop below the surface rooting lettuce.  When the lettuce is done, pull it and the carrots continue to grow.

Lettuce seed and carrot seed is very fine so it's much easier to plant it using a large eyedropper to space the seed properly.

Lettuce as well as carrots can be bought in pre-spaced seed tapes as well that you can plant on top of each other.

Sow the seed in a shallow trench about 1/2" deep.  Make the trendh with your finger.  Cover the trench with fine crumbled soil and pat lightly.

Prior to germination frequent watering is a must.

(I should be writing the gardening blog....... ;D)
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Apple Codling Moth
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »

Apple Codling Moth
23 June 2010, 12:26 pm

Growing good apples is a little tricky because of all of the pests that feed on them and cause damage to the fruit. We discussed the Curculio a couple of posts ago, this time we need to talk about another major pest on apples, the Codling Moth.  This is the proverbial “worm in the apple” that [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Lichens on Trees
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »

Lichens on Trees
30 June 2010, 3:21 pm

A few days ago a gardener proclaimed to me that an expert had told her that Lichens are found only on trees that are no longer growing. I don’t know what expert might have told her that but I’m sure she misinterpreted whatever may have been said. The study of Lichens is a huge branch of [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Transplant Poppies Now
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 11:22:35 AM »

Transplant Poppies Now
8 July 2010, 9:27 am

Oriental Poppies, once established reliably bloom year after year, sometimes for decades. They don’t like to be disturbed or moved unlike some other perennials that need to be divided every couple of years or so. Those other perennials can be handled more easily for moving. There are times when plants need to be relocated for [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
All things green: Keep Weeding
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »

Keep Weeding
14 July 2010, 12:23 pm

Here we are, well into July and have progressed this far in the garden with all of our planting,  fertilizing, controlling pests and so on.  It takes a lot of work to keep up a garden and it’s easy to get distracted by other summer time activities… the pool, the lake, golf. Make sure you [...]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up