MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Driving While Distracted: Why can't we ignore the pings?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving While Distracted: Why can't we ignore the pings?  (Read 567 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Driving While Distracted: Why can't we ignore the pings?
« on: August 05, 2016, 10:48:13 AM »

Interesting...

there are people that study this subject.  CNN is having a series all week and then they will have a TV special on tomorrow.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/03/health/distracted-driving-addiction-brain-impact/index.html

We've had some comments recently on some of the distracted driving situation we've observed.

Another pet peeve I have is people (at any age) who no longer have the ability to drive.  This typically 'senior' citizens but in all reality it can happen at most any age.

Just this morning we were heading north on S. Monroe in the number street area...   saw a car with a little old lady (not from Pasadena) pulling herself up on the wheel to see over the dash.  By holding herself up on the wheel she couldn't turn the wheel very fast so she swung south on Monroe street and crossed the first lane and the 2nd lane and finally got straightened out in the left turn lane after crossing the yellow line.  I figured she was going to turn left but as I watched in my rear view mirror I saw her slowly move from the left turn lane to the 'fast' lane to the curb lane... 

I kind of wanted to see where she ended up going but I had to turn left myself so lost sight of her.  I will keep my eyes open for her when I'm in that area though :( :( :(
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Driving While Distracted: Why can't we ignore the pings?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 07:55:17 PM »

I recall my friends mom having to look through the area between the steering wheel and the dash...  back in the 60's-70's when steering wheels were much thinner and bigger - sounds like what you just witnessed.    Apparently a seat lift cushion wasn't in the family plan.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 09:05:40 PM »

This looks like it's part of the same series by CNN...

http://www.wtol.com/story/32691256/new-devices-help-prevent-distracted-driving

this is a device that will lock your phone out of receiving or transmitting 'distractions'!!!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 09:15:13 PM »

They need to start putting little flashing lights on top of vehicles that blink if the driver is on the phone. That way we can be extra cautious

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:21:46 PM »

They need to start putting little flashing lights on top of vehicles that blink if the driver is on the phone. That way we can be extra cautious

Excellent idea!!!

Newport-Bill

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 10:34:59 AM »

Yesterday driving down Nadeau just past the steel plant entrance and the white Taurus in front of me is doing 30 mph.  Finally I see they are talking on the phone - not using Sync which is standard on that model/series.  They put the phone down just before the ballpark and got up to the posted 45 mph.  Suddenly back down to 30 as I see them put the phone back up to their ear.  As we approached the GREEN light at Dixie they put their brakes on and slowed more until the light turned red.

I was in no hurry other than I had frozen food in the car as I was coming home from Meijer but geez!
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 11:20:25 AM »

I've noticed that too with some drivers that are texting.  They slow down hoping the light turns red so they can text more freely.
And then there are those texting when the light turns green and they don't move. I like to honk and wave my phone.  I get the bird sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:02:26 PM by blue2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up