MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Monroe Evening News Letters to the Editor

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe Evening News Letters to the Editor  (Read 925 times)

wolfman

• New Talker
Monroe Evening News Letters to the Editor
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:21:18 AM »

I've written letters to the editor at the Monroe Evening News for years. Recently I'm having trouble with having them published. I haven't changed my progressive views but feel the local newspaper has decided to restrict my letters. I've had people come up to me asking why they don't see my letters anymore. I tell them to call the Monroe Evening News.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Monroe Evening News Letters to the Editor
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:07:37 AM »

Post em here!

Just use your moniker instead - and you don't have to put your address down either
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:52:49 AM »

I've written letters to the editor at the Monroe Evening News for years. Recently I'm having trouble with having them published. I haven't changed my progressive views but feel the local newspaper has decided to restrict my letters. I've had people come up to me asking why they don't see my letters anymore. I tell them to call the Monroe Evening News.

You must have hit a sore spot with someone in 'authority'...   

which is a sign it was probably a pretty good letter ;) ;) ;)

Our of curiosity...

do you by any chance have a golden voice like 'the' Wolfman?

Wolfman Jack!!!! Howlin' On The Air part 1
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

wolfman

• New Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 01:33:46 AM »

You must have hit a sore spot with someone in 'authority'...   

which is a sign it was probably a pretty good letter ;) ;) ;)

I had a problem with the last letter I wrote. They were two weeks before they printed it after I called them. I figured the new editor was not familiar with me. When editor Deb Saul was still there it was never a problem. Every month like clock work she printed it. Now I'm getting people coming up to me wondering what happened that I don't write letters anymore. Well we had a talk about the newspaper last week at a weekly breakfast I attend and another writer is having trouble too. Seems the newspaper is discriminating against free speech. Could it be that the paper is now owned by GateHouse Media who is owned by New Media Investment Group Inc. They own over 400 newspapers across the country. This begs the question: is our hometown newspaper now just another corporate media outlet? We talked about several theories but when I call the paper its a cold shoulder feel to it now. I've written the new editor with news suggestions pertinent to our area and they refuse to reprint them. They now are  printing propaganda pieces from the Koch Brothers Mackinaw Center for Public Policy. This is not a real news outlet, strictly a extreme right wing outlet. I'm now wondering if they forced Deb Saul into retirement. They cleaned house at the Columbus Dispatch soon after they bought them. http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/public/2015/dispatch-news.html
Then my last letter was in response to their failure to report real news. It was a Freep story, "DTE gas supply line may cost customers," I suggested they reprint. They did not so I wrote a letter about it and they dragged their feet in printing it. Now they refuse to print my letter about Walberg and the TPP. The Trans-Pacific Partnership will hurt this area and Walberg has voted for Fast Track for it. Many of us are seeing changes at the paper. We didn't like when a few years ago they reduced the opinion pages by half. Now they want to print propaganda and fluff. WTH!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »

It's no longer Monroes paper. The owners could care less

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »

Walberg is for the TPP - the same one that Hillary and Obama want?   

I find it hard to believe
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 10:42:47 AM »

You can bet when politicians are all in for something that the public is against they are raking in the $$$ and don't care.  We are stupid and keep reelecting them

wolfman

• New Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »

Got an Email from the Newspaper yesterday. They say it will run this week. I submitted it on August 22. Took three weeks to get some attention. We'll see if it runs this week. Thanks for the feedback and exposure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up