MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: December 15, 2018, 11:03:43 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by Monroe Native
Here is a fun fact I learned today in regards to the Nortel Fire.

Now - we have all been told that Professional Full Time Fire Departments have tremendous advantages which result in faster response times and better outcomes.  This makes sense I guess.

So clearly you would believe that the first fire department to respond to the Nortel Fire would have been the City of Monroe.  I mean - it only makes sense.  They have a full time department, and one of their stations is probably a mile or less away from the fire.

Well - if you would have bet on that - you would be wrong.

The first department I was told responded was Monroe Township, and it sounds as if they commanded the attack - despite what the paper said.  Now - Monroe Township is a voluntary department - so this just doesn't make any sense.

Now - the City of Monroe Department HAD to be second on the scene - right?  Wrong again.

The second department was Frenchtown Township.

I was told the vaunted City of Monroe department only showed up when the Monroe Township commander called them and told them that if they didn't respond and provide some relief soon - that they were going to pull out.

Now - when I heard this story - I thought no way.  This is just people spreading lies.

But then I was shown pictures of the equipment on scene - and there was Monroe Townships ladder truck attacking - and there was Frenchtown Townships ladder truck attacking.  What was missing?  The City of Monroes Ladder truck - and frankly any equipment from the City of Monroe - was no where visible.

So I ask myself - and the leadership of the City of Monroe - if you are going to by policy let the Townships fight your fires for you - then why don't you just pay them for it - and then we don't need a new 6 or 7 million dollar fire station?  Why pay people full time pay and benefits if they are just going to sit in their station while the volunteers do the work?  I tell you what - if I was a volunteer that night - I would have been peeved.

Again - the City of Monroe is lacking leadership.  They lack leadership at City Hall, and they lack leadership in Public Safety.

Sounds to me like lots of people need voted out of office and fired.

on: December 15, 2018, 08:52:08 PM 
Started by John Kopke - Last post by John Kopke
Lame duck Michigan legislature delayed increase in minimum wage by a lot of years. Good.
My take is the current minimum wage is way too high. The other day I paid $ 9.52 for 2 quarter pounders, without cheese. When I got home I opened them up to see how the fixens  were laid out, as is my custom. One had the catsup only on one side, with one slice of pickle,
my extra onion was dispersed properly. I only had to add a little catsup and 3 pickle slices. The other had the catsup spread ok, only had to add a little catsup, had 2 pickle slices, only had to add two, and the onion was satisfactory. So what's the deal?

The deal is I'm paying big bucks for a couple burgers to cover the cost of McDonald employees that aren't providing a quality product. So I, and McDonald, have two
problems. The cost of their burgers is too high given the quality of product they provide,
plus McDonalds, thanks to government mandated minimum wage, is forced to raise
prices to the point they're going to turn away customers. Me being one.

Here's the problem as I see it. McDonalds has a good number of people working for them
that are barely worth, or not nearly worth, $ 7.00 per hour, but they're forced to pay them
$ 9.00 per hour. So how can they justify giving them a raise when they perform better when their improved performance only makes them worth maybe $ 7.50 per hour. See what I mean.

Things are all messed up. Thank you Government.

on: December 15, 2018, 06:58:28 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by Maverick
Cutter

on: December 15, 2018, 06:42:05 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by SidecarFlip
Box

on: December 15, 2018, 04:13:27 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by FritzTheKat
theater

on: December 15, 2018, 03:10:38 PM 
Started by SidecarFlip - Last post by SidecarFlip
I just wrote a letter to the Monroe News as well.  I was a bit nicer than I am here....lol

on: December 15, 2018, 03:09:35 PM 
Started by SidecarFlip - Last post by SidecarFlip
CL and I have lived out here for around 35 years now and every year the secondary road out front has gotten worse.  No amount of grading and gravel helps, the gravel just vanishes in a day or two in the quagmire, replace with goo and potholes.  Every secondary road in Moron (yes, moron) County that I drive on is the same, a quagmire, saturated road bed, laced with deep potholes...

The MCRC don't seem to care for if they did, they'd recognize the obvious issue, something that don't take a rocket scientist to understand...

If the road bed is lower than the berms on each side and there are no below grade drainage ditches for the water to flow into, the roadbed remains saturated and any application of gravel just vanishes in the sand in a day or so.

If the MCRC got off it's lazy arse and instiuted a comprehensive program of cutting roadside ditches and berms, the secondary roads in this county would look like those in Lenawee County.  I live about 3/4 mile from Lenawee County and the road I live on (Mc Carty) makes an astonishing change when you cross the county line.  Why?  Because the road bed is higher than the berms and there are drainage ditches at least on one side of the road for the water to drain into.

Amazing how a simple solution that totally escapes the MCRC, but then I expect no less from them.  The MCRC is a total waste of tax dollars from what I see.

Finally, the MCRC owns a Gradall with a ditch bucket that sits in their facility on Telegraph.  They need to use it instead of it being a ornament paid for with tax dollars.

Idiots.

on: December 15, 2018, 02:55:12 PM 
Started by eriemermaid - Last post by SidecarFlip
All about the 'me too' society we live in today.  They should make a public apology actually and grow up and act like responsible adults.  Glad they don't live next door to me.  Not that they could in as much as I own the property on both sides....lol

on: December 15, 2018, 01:25:59 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by Monroe Native
1/1000 of a percent maybe?

You are being generous.

on: December 15, 2018, 01:22:40 PM 
Started by eriemermaid - Last post by Monroe Native
The kids parents should button it up and not make it so public..

Amen.

I think they owe more than a few people an apology.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10