MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 06:20:04 PM 
Started by overDoseMonroe - Last post by Monroe Native

Oh, yes. Very violent. I've seen where a 20 year old was bugging, relentlessly, to her 72 year old grandfather, for $20.00. She was in a crazed state, when she woke from her last binge. He told her NO!. No money. She reared her arm back and hit in straight in the chest area. It knocked him out cold. An ambulance was called, cpr started by another daughter, but he came to right before they got there. Police came, too, but the granddaughter did not go to jail. She took off out the door before any first responders came, and he didn't press charges. Just think, if he had pressed charges against her then, she wouldn't be in the trouble she is today.

I am guessing she would be in even more trouble today.

on: Today at 06:17:33 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by Monroe Native
I see the City of Brian passed a resolution last night prohibiting suburbs like Maumee from drilling into the aquifier.

Sounds to me like the fine politicians that run Bryan like wasting their time.

on: Today at 06:14:28 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by BigRedDog
Not selling mine.  It gets average 41 mpg. with the ac on.

I didn't realize you were subject to the recall...  I thought Ford quit using Takata bags before that.

on: Today at 06:12:15 PM 
Started by Monroe Native - Last post by Monroe Native
The fee vote isn't about putting in Smart911.

The fee vote IS about raising money in fees so they don't have to pay 1.3 million out of the general fund to run the 911 system anymore.

I am guessing at the end of the day the County Commissioners think we will all be like BRD and anxious to pay more for our phones for "safety."

They are lying to you.

Vote NO.

on: Today at 06:08:20 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by Monroe Native
Again - this ballot request is being marketed incorrectly.

The vast bulk goes to free up 1.3 million from the general fund.

A very small portion - for 2 years - goes to pay for the Smart911 equipment.

They are hoping that people don't mind shelling over 2, 4, 6 or whatever dollars per month so the County Commissioners have 1.3 million to spend on something else.

I for one would vote NO.

If it was only for the equipment - and only for the time to pay for it - I might feel different.

No more taxes.

on: Today at 06:08:15 PM 
Started by Mayonnaise - Last post by BigRedDog
The Wisconsin is the oldest operating tug boat in the world btw.  Started out with Skinner Steam engines and was diesel repowered in the early 60's I think. I read the keel was laid in Buffalo in like 1919.  Sucker is ancient.  It's also reported to be a very 'seaworthy' tug.

Sank a couple times, burned twice (in Detroit) and rebuilt many times.  Lots of stuff about it on Goggle.

One of the links I posted said it was built in 1897 so one of the articles is off by almost 20 years. 

on: Today at 06:03:35 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by BigRedDog
I'm no lawyer but who is going to stop a community from drilling within their own area. I can see Bryan not wanting a company setting up shop in their community and piping water elsewhere..

I think that is exactly what is going to happen if that's what those communities decide to do.  The aquifer doesn't go far enough east for them to drill straight down.  Will be an interesting scenario to watch I'm thinking.

on: Today at 06:01:17 PM 
Started by Frenchfry - Last post by BigRedDog
When I look at that pristine picture, I envision a huge oil slick from a busted pipeline.  The thought sends shivers up my spine.

The only thing positive is that if the pipes ruptured the crude would end up all over the Enbridge dock and property too. 

This is a zoomed in Google Aerial of the Enbridge building and pier.  You can see the shadow of the building shows how tall it is.  You may have to hit the link to switch to aerial view.  That doesn't always carry over when I link maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mackinaw+City,+MI+49701/@45.7776949,-84.7186589,197m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4d358b3940a9ad83:0xeac771ab20cc7a7a!8m2!3d45.7774987!4d-84.7271465

This one shows their pump station.  2.7 miles between them 'as the crow flies' but about 3.5 miles of coastline.  Looking at the aerial below you can see where they've clear cut the ROW going west out of the pump station and then making a turn to the north and into the water.  Look just to the west of the pump station and you can actually see the wires following the ROW for the electric service that was severed by the dragging anchor. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mackinaw+City,+MI+49701/@45.7864925,-84.7740457,458m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x4d358b3940a9ad83:0xeac771ab20cc7a7a!8m2!3d45.7774987!4d-84.7271465

on: Today at 05:55:16 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by NewDawn
According to the Monroe News article, 911 Dispatch currently has an annual budget of $2.4 million.  ($1.3 million of that comes from the county general fund.  Current Local surcharge is:$740,000.00 and shared state surcharge is $380,000.00.) The new $2.00 per line, per device per month, will add $3.2 million to that. It looks like wording on the ballot, makes this fee/tax a forever charge. The County Commissioners can lower the fee, though to $1.56 per line, per device, per month once they feel all equipment and up grades are completed. 

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180714/central-dispatch-asking-voters-to-help-improve-services-for-county   

on: Today at 05:49:56 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by blue2
I'm no lawyer but who is going to stop a community from drilling within their own area. I can see Bryan not wanting a company setting up shop in their community and piping water elsewhere..

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10