MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:46 AM 
Started by nails - Last post by nails

Didn’t Pelosi refer to the tax cut $1000.  as “ crumbs “.

on: August 14, 2018, 10:28:21 AM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by blue2
It's not the money.  It's the idea that governments generally just ask for more instead of cutting back where you suggest we do.
They never made a good case for the extra funding.  Only needed a million bucks but put a surcharge on forever..

on: August 14, 2018, 10:23:29 AM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by blue2
"I could sit around the house in my underwear all day if I operated like that 8) 8) 8)"

I don't know if we'd want to see that.

on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:25 AM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by BigRedDog
Well its the same builder that did all the expansion at the storage place across the street.  They are pretty well land locked so maybe they are expanding across the street?

Why do people have so much crap to store?

That would make sense.  They could easily operate both units from one location. 

Years ago in Atlanta (GA not northern MI) my uncle operated two service stations on one main corner diagonally across the street from each other.  One was a Pure and eventually Union 76 and the other was a Texaco station.  They actually serviced vehicles and didn't just sell gasoline...   what a concept!!!  He would wear a grey service uniform without either decal but it did have his name on it above the pocket.  He had a 'cap' with each brands logo and he would walk between the stations all day long.  I never once saw him forget to swap caps as he reached the halfway mark on his walk.  Of course, no cell phones to distract him then...  but I suppose with cell phones he probably could have stayed home and ran the two stations up to a point.

There's a new storage business on the east side of Dundee at 5 corners.  I was in the area and reading their info one day last week.  They apparently operate completely online.  You can pick out your unit from a chart online and pay with a card.  Then it looks like they send you a password or number for the keyboard at the gate which gets you in and out.  I'm guessing you have to provide your own padlock but I didn't actually get that far. 

The internet has definitely taken 'human interaction' out of some business plans. 

I could sit around the house in my underwear all day if I operated like that 8) 8) 8)

on: August 14, 2018, 10:03:01 AM 
Started by Mayonnaise - Last post by BigRedDog
What if---people staff that second guessed politicians the boss offered a reasonable solution to what they were complaining about

I don't have any staff these days (well, my wife, but she's never been shy about sharing her 'opinion' with me anyway).

I always had an 'open door' policy and was willing to listen to criticism and opposing opinions for my business policies. 

My 'policy' for me listening to your criticism is you weren't allowed to just say you didn't like something.  I wanted to hear your well though out solution and if possible a second 'middle of the road' solution that might work and be a bit of a compromise between our opinions.  In other words...   think...   don't just 'b i t c h'!!!

on: August 14, 2018, 09:40:18 AM 
Started by nails - Last post by BigRedDog
Won't happen,  Besides if the mandate passes, the tax collected will be minimal.

Maybe Mr. MoneyBags can put a little more precise figure out there than 'minimal'...

minimal to you and your money is probably a lot more than a poor working stiff like me.

Please predict a more precise figure.

Would you say $5M a year?

$20M a year?

$50M a year?

Certainly no where near $100M a year!

$500M? 

"minimal' to one person can be a lot of money to someone else! 

on: August 14, 2018, 09:29:35 AM 
Started by nails - Last post by BigRedDog
BRD  You're a veritable sponge !!

I'm told I am related to God !!  Or at least to Adam and Eve !!

I've been called a sponge before, but thank you.

NBC Megan Kelley (however you spell her name) is on right now discussing DNA and solving cold cases with some of the family tree sites.  Not sure I want to know who all I'm related to out there ;) ;) ;)

on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:10 AM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by BigRedDog
Well its the same builder that did all the expansion at the storage place across the street.   They are pretty well land locked so maybe they are expanding across the street?

Why do people have so much crap to store?

Some of us are definitely pack rats or hoarders.  We see too many good ideas on Pinterest or elsewhere and start the project and then never finish it because we've seen something else we want to do.  In children it's ADDA but in adults it's just everyday life.

In the commercial world Monroe is the center of 'everyone wants to be a pizza magnate' so you have a lot of pizza equipment and 'opening soon' signs that has to be stored somewhere while they're between storefronts. 

I have only ever used a storage unit one time during my business history.  When the big 'downturn' was pending about 15 years ago we were following it pretty closely and made a decision to downsize.  We had office equipment that filled 2400 square feet of office space but we managed to pack it into an 80 sq ft storage unit and a corner of my basement.  We got busy quick trying to sell the stuff so we wouldn't have to keep paying rent on the storage unit.  We finally pretty well had to give the stuff away because we weren't the only other people in the process of downsizing at the time.  We were there for 3 or 4 months and it helped us out.

When our son was in the process of buying a home a couple of years ago he rented a unit about halfway between the new home and the old one and he started moving seasonal items and spare stuff to the storage unit.  That gave him room to make the old home 'show' much better and his stuff was already halfway 'home'.  It cut back on the rush, rush, rush at closing on both homes. 

on: August 14, 2018, 09:26:51 AM 
Started by nails - Last post by Maverick
BRD  You're a veritable sponge !!

I'm told I am related to God !!  Or at least to Adam and Eve !!

on: August 14, 2018, 09:25:02 AM 
Started by nails - Last post by nails

“ touché “

By the way. I have a good friend who’s on the ATF SWAT team.

Doesn’t mean anything, just thought I’d play too.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]