MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Business Openings

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]   Go Down

Author Topic: Business Openings  (Read 52333 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: Business Openings
« Reply #840 on: October 07, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »

Looks like Sells Equipment went for a zoning change there recently.   Page 3.  http://www.frenchtowntownship.org/admin/files/minutes%20planning%20commission/7.20.17%20PC%20Meeting.pdf

I don't know Sells real well but have gone to their present (Allen Road) location a few times for some parts. 

http://www.sellsequipment.com/
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #841 on: October 07, 2017, 09:14:58 AM »

I don't know Sells real well but have gone to their present (Allen Road) location a few times for some parts. 

http://www.sellsequipment.com/

Years ago went to their original place on Telegraph - they were a Ford Tractor dealer at the time
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #842 on: October 07, 2017, 12:47:32 PM »

They acquired J&R on Dixie after J&R lost their Ford / New Holland franchise.  I know the Wagonkenects personally.

New Holland is no longer affiliated with Ford either and NH, just like JD consolidated their franchises into large multi-outlet single owned businesses.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #843 on: October 09, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »

Sells is probably the closest Exmark dealer to Monroe.   I would personally be glad to see them selling that line here.  I'm surprised they aren't already carrying it at J&R?   Maybe I'm misunderstanding--did they buy J&R or J&R's New Holland franchise?

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #844 on: October 09, 2017, 09:39:07 AM »

Sells is probably the closest Exmark dealer to Monroe.   I would personally be glad to see them selling that line here.  I'm surprised they aren't already carrying it at J&R?   Maybe I'm misunderstanding--did they buy J&R or J&R's New Holland franchise?

They bought J&R, not the franchise.  J&R lost the franchise because CNH pulled it.  The closest CNH franchised dealer is now in Hudson, Burnips, which is a multi-store dealership.  J&R can still order and sell CNH parts, but not machines.  Why they now carry Kioti tractors.

I find zero turn mowers to be pretty generic.  All do the same thing, cut grass.  All share the same components, Hydro Gear trans axles, Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki or Honda motors (if gas), Kubota or JD if diesel.  Really, the only major difference is deck design, the good ones have a fabricated (welded) steel deck, the less expensive ones have a deep drawn stamped steel deck.  Good ones have grease fittings, cheap ones have sealed bearings.

Great Plains has a patent on their suspension and Bad Boy copied it with discrete changes.  Zero turn's are nice for smooth lawns but will beat you to death on a bumpy lawn because you sit almost directly over the rear axle so the shock is transmitted directly into your tailbone.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #845 on: October 09, 2017, 09:50:07 AM »

They bought J&R, not the franchise.  J&R lost the franchise because CNH pulled it.  The closest CNH franchised dealer is now in Hudson, Burnips, which is a multi-store dealership.  J&R can still order and sell CNH parts, but not machines.  Why they now carry Kioti tractors.

I find zero turn mowers to be pretty generic.  All do the same thing, cut grass.  All share the same components, Hydro Gear trans axles, Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki or Honda motors (if gas), Kubota or JD if diesel.  Really, the only major difference is deck design, the good ones have a fabricated (welded) steel deck, the less expensive ones have a deep drawn stamped steel deck.  Good ones have grease fittings, cheap ones have sealed bearings.

Great Plains has a patent on their suspension and Bad Boy copied it with discrete changes.  Zero turn's are nice for smooth lawns but will beat you to death on a bumpy lawn because you sit almost directly over the rear axle so the shock is transmitted directly into your tailbone.

Carleton Farm Supply is in a similar situation.  They can still sell Case IH parts but no more big red machines or equipment. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #846 on: October 09, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »

So, any speculation if Sells will keep J&R on S. Dixie or move everything to the N. Telegraph location? 

They were one of the first local places I did business with when we moved down here.  I bought a very, very nice used (but well maintained) Gilson from them.  I actually still have it but it's sitting in the barn collecting dust until I get around to restoring it. 

Also bought an oversized Cub cadet (Cub LoBoy 154) from them.  Still got that one too.  I was in there not long ago and bought some tie rod ends for one of my smaller Cub Cadets.  Tie rod ends are pretty much universal and don't care what color paint is on the tractor they're going on. 

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #847 on: October 09, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »

So, any speculation if Sells will keep J&R on S. Dixie or move everything to the N. Telegraph location? 

They were one of the first local places I did business with when we moved down here.  I bought a very, very nice used (but well maintained) Gilson from them.  I actually still have it but it's sitting in the barn collecting dust until I get around to restoring it. 

Also bought an oversized Cub cadet (Cub LoBoy 154) from them.  Still got that one too.  I was in there not long ago and bought some tie rod ends for one of my smaller Cub Cadets.  Tie rod ends are pretty much universal and don't care what color paint is on the tractor they're going on. 

I was curious as well - not sure the size of the new location but the move north attraction seems to be growing - to the detriment of LaSalle/Monroe Twps      -  and those who love congested traffic! 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #848 on: October 09, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »

I find zero turn mowers to be pretty generic. 

Zero turns yes, but the walk behind machines are what I was thinking of.   Still a lot of commodity parts but how they combine them tends to be more unique there.   

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #849 on: October 09, 2017, 01:53:16 PM »

Carleton Farm Supply is in a similar situation.  They can still sell Case IH parts but no more big red machines or equipment.

Keith does very well with Kubota and Kubota has been slowly expanding into the large Ag market.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #850 on: October 09, 2017, 01:56:07 PM »

I was curious as well - not sure the size of the new location but the move north attraction seems to be growing - to the detriment of LaSalle/Monroe Twps      -  and those who love congested traffic!

I suspect they will keep the Dixie location.  The building is old but paid for and there is a huge storage lot out back.  I'm pretty good friends with Dave Wagonconnekt (Parts manager) and he's never said anything one way or another.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #851 on: October 09, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »

I suspect they will keep the Dixie location.  The building is old but paid for and there is a huge storage lot out back.  I'm pretty good friends with Dave Wagonconnekt (Parts manager) and he's never said anything one way or another.
I'm picking up my mower tomorrow - Plastic gas tank issue/warranty work -  Its a zero turn hustler brand -
Cut my mowing time down 1/2 hour! 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #852 on: October 18, 2017, 09:56:38 AM »

Lot's of activity around JJ's new location the last couple of days.  Some big box trucks making deliveries although I couldn't tell exactly what they were delivering. 

No more fresh concrete though.  They finished the pad closest to Monroe Street and haven't done anything else.  Maybe they're going to put down asphalt on the rest of the lot :-\ :-\ :-\

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]   Go Up