MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > History next door

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: History next door  (Read 7067 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: History next door
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »

I'll stand corrected (and come clean) then.  RTA Cleveland Regional Transit Authority's predecessor, CTS (Cleveland Transit System) operated an electrified system from Hopkins Airport to the east side of Cleveland with a spur to Shaker Heights, Ohio and the Shaker Heights spur ran those cars but they were painted 2 tone cream, not green.

I used to ride the 'Interurban' style trains regularly.  They were pretty neat compared to the light rail cars the main line ran.  I remember that the gauge (of the trucks) was slightly different than the light rail cars the main line ran so the wheels always squeaked on the rails.

They looked exactly like the one in the picture that was posted.  At the end of the line in Shaker Heights, there was a Wye (similar to the one off Adrian / Deerfield Road, where the train would reverse direction.  The Light rail units that CTS/RTA ran were double ended, that is, there was an operator station at each end so the cars never turned around, the 'operator' just went from one end to the other....

The one thing I miss about Cleveland was riding the light rail.  If you ever go there, I suggest riding and get a window seat.  Lots of interesting things to see.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Boblo Boat Ste. Clair restoration hits docking dilemma
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2016, 09:41:39 AM »

I wish they'd move it down this way.  I'd enjoy spending some time working aboard!

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/206526621-story
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »

I'll stand corrected (and come clean) then.  RTA Cleveland Regional Transit Authority's predecessor, CTS (Cleveland Transit System) operated an electrified system from Hopkins Airport to the east side of Cleveland with a spur to Shaker Heights, Ohio and the Shaker Heights spur ran those cars but they were painted 2 tone cream, not green.

I used to ride the 'Interurban' style trains regularly.  They were pretty neat compared to the light rail cars the main line ran.  I remember that the gauge (of the trucks) was slightly different than the light rail cars the main line ran so the wheels always squeaked on the rails.

They looked exactly like the one in the picture that was posted.  At the end of the line in Shaker Heights, there was a Wye (similar to the one off Adrian / Deerfield Road, where the train would reverse direction.  The Light rail units that CTS/RTA ran were double ended, that is, there was an operator station at each end so the cars never turned around, the 'operator' just went from one end to the other....

The one thing I miss about Cleveland was riding the light rail.  If you ever go there, I suggest riding and get a window seat.  Lots of interesting things to see.

It's easy even for the experts (and that's not me) to misidentify some of these old streetcars.  There were only a limited number of builders and they all tended to have similar 'style'.  The colors were frequently the identifying factors and over the years many of the remaining cars have faded to where they'e harder to identify.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:51:49 PM by BigRedDog »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2016, 09:53:11 PM »

An MLive article with several photos of some of the old Detroit streetcars.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2016/03/take_a_historical_look_at_detr.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »

Back in the mid 50s (I barely remember as I wasn't very big) my Mom's sister lived in Royal Oak.  We would take the 'Bee Liner' from Midland right into Royal Oak and spend a few days and then return!

The 'Bee Liner' was built by the Budd Corporation (I've changed a lot of their split rims) and it was a double ended self contained diesel powered single car.  They could also be coupled together if necessary.  Anything over a few cars it became more efficient to go with a conventional set of cars and a diesel locomotive.  They built about 400 of them over a few years and some of them are still in regular service in other parts of the world.

Here's some info I Googled up!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Rail_Diesel_Car

Here's some very old video (8mm film maybe) of a Bee Liner on the route from Jackson to Grand Rapids.

New York Central Beeliner, Grand Rapids - Jackson, MI, 1956.

Also found this video while I was looking for the Budd info.  It's just some rail video around the greater Detroit area in the 60s and 70s...   nothing on Monroe but you can imagine that at one time or another all of these had spent time traveling the rails of Monroe or Monroe County!

Detroit Passenger Trains 1960s & 1970s

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2016, 11:31:33 AM »

Here's one more history 'next door' related to the railroad...

I'm only posting the link so you can open and read all the additional info below the video.  This locomotive was developed in New York but the test runs were done just SW of Toledo at Stryker over to Butler IN.  A straight stretch of railroad was required and that is where they found it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8ZIJFlU_pA

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2016, 08:28:19 AM »

The Detroit News had an article on this today too.  Not as detailed as the one from The Blade though. 

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/02/25/train-wreck-victims/80944190/

Both used Adrian as a landmark for the crash which actually happened between the small burg of Sand Creek and the even smaller burg of Seneca.  Although there are no markers at the site of the crash you can literally drive to within 100 yards of the site and it is very well referenced by the bridge over Bear Creek.

Here's an older article which was originally in the Adrian Telegram.

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/MichRRs/News/2001/WreckOfWabash.htm

And one from January of this year.  I'd guess this article is where The Blade and The News picked up on the idea for their articles.

http://www.lenconnect.com/article/20160113/NEWS/160119713

This one is actually a geocaching article that gives the precise location. 

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1ZWK6_the-wreck-on-the-wabash-1901?guid=46f6f9a2-a6bb-4a4f-ae86-633c01b0f89c

It mentions how after the investigation one of the corrective actions taken was to change the name of the station at Seneca because it sounded too much like Sand Creek.  Apparently their cell phones back then weren't real clear ;) ;) ;)

Map to crash site from above article:

If you drive to the site this is pretty much what you will see...

don't go in the fall if they have corn planted because then all you'll see is corn!!!

There are several other photos on this website too.

Here's a link to the Google map if you want to 'explore' the location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sand+Creek,+MI/@41.7979185,-84.1526948,889m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x883cf804ea91353f:0x2f684aea6c8a52fb!6m1!1e1

Here's a follow up article...

the memorial has been installed!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20160927/monument-remembers-victims-of-deadly-1901-train-wreck

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2016, 10:27:04 AM »

I realize Marquette is quite a distance from 'next door' but this article touches on the shipwrecks in the great lakes and we have Lake Erie 'real close'!

My paternal grandparents had a home on Lake Superior built on a high bluff with a fantastic view.  This was back in the 30s and 40s...   it was destroyed in a huge storm in 1949!

I recall them talking about the 'ghost ship' several times when I was little.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifestyle/video-ghost-ship-appears-over-lake-superior

A Ghost Ship Appears on Lake Superior

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2016, 11:42:37 AM »

I realize Marquette is quite a distance from 'next door' but this article touches on the shipwrecks in the great lakes and we have Lake Erie 'real close'!

My paternal grandparents had a home on Lake Superior built on a high bluff with a fantastic view.  This was back in the 30s and 40s...   it was destroyed in a huge storm in 1949!

I recall them talking about the 'ghost ship' several times when I was little.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifestyle/video-ghost-ship-appears-over-lake-superior

A Ghost Ship Appears on Lake Superior

Looks like it would have to be a 200 foot tall ship.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »

I spent my younger years mostly up around Midland.  If you've been there you may remember that it's had a traffic 'circle' since before I was born.  When I got out of high school my first job was at a Goodyear Farm and Fleet tire store which was located just off the circle.

The Midland paper has been doing a series of throwback photo sections online and this one is about the circle:

http://www.ourmidland.com/lifestyles/article/Throwback-Ashman-Circle-Dartmouth-11124428.php#photo-12851108

The historic photo below is from that series and was actually taken in 1970 and a year or so after I had last worked there...   I was already in the Army and overseas by then:

If you're up there driving around it is now a Discount Tire store I believe. 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up