MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Anyone ever had their mower decks 'undercoated' with spray truck bed liner?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone ever had their mower decks 'undercoated' with spray truck bed liner?  (Read 7045 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker

Maybe... i once had a Jensen Healey with alum wheels.  The inner part was coated with something that as the car got older the stuff kept breaking off and would work it's way into the seal and i would continue to lose air.
But if you are talking about tractor tires with inner tubes that's probably not a problem.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Tractor trailer tires have been tubeless for at least 40 years now.  The last tube type were 10:00 x 20.00 on split rims that went away a long time ago.

We mount on aluminum and steel rims and use sealant on aluminum...always.  Even steel corrodes and gets rim leaks.

Tubeless has a distinct advantage in that you can run a dual with one low or flat without a tire fire because there is no rube and boot causing internal friction and heat plus a tubeless is safer to mount and dismount.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.

Tractor trailer tires have been tubeless for at least 40 years now.  The last tube type were 10:00 x 20.00 on split rims that went away a long time ago.

We mount on aluminum and steel rims and use sealant on aluminum...always.  Even steel corrodes and gets rim leaks.

Tubeless has a distinct advantage in that you can run a dual with one low or flat without a tire fire because there is no rube and boot causing internal friction and heat plus a tubeless is safer to mount and dismount.

When I was first out of high school I worked for a local Goodyear Farm and Fleet service store.  We did a lot of truck tires and tubeless was just starting to get popular.  Would see tubeless on the steering wheels and tube type on the rest. 

Of course we had to work on some of the older tube type wheels that were probably fairly safe when they were built but had gotten out and out dangerous after 20-30 years of road salt and pounding along the roads.

There were some strange setups and locking geometry on some of those old wheels.  There was one I remember...  only saw it a couple of times.  You would have to spend more time cleaning the rust and corrosion out of the 'lock' than it took to fix the tube. 

Those had to go into a cage before inflating no matter what.  Even had to drive back to the shop with one because that truck didn't have a cage on it.  We'd just wrap a chain around some of the newer wheels and then use a long hose and a clip on inflator then control it from the compressor until the tire 'popped' and was set on the rim. 

That's when my Mentor would tell me I should start smoking so I'd know how long to wait before the tire was 'safe' to handle :D :D :D
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

The first tractor I owned, a 1963 Kenworth cabin over with a 318 double breasted Yamaha (Detroit) had spit rims with a locking ring on the drives and Alcoa aluminum steers.  Only truck I ever drove that had so much power you had to downshift to go over a cigarette butt..... ;D

Classic 'Dragonfly' truck.  Flew sown hill and dragged up the other side.....

Was a 2 stick 4x4 roadranger.  4 on the main and 4 on the auxillary.  What a POS.  never changed the oil, just added.

Wheels have progressed quite a bit from split rim Dayton's and Empi-Guards to 10 hole bud style to pilot mount 10 hole today.

The stuff I drive today.....  500 horsepower, 1800 pounds feet torque, 13 and 18 speed Roadrangers with air ride suspension all around, digital cruise, climate control, air ride swivel seats heated of course....  Drivers have it made today and some cannot even shift a manual so lots of trucks now have automatics, fully electronic controlled.  Put it in D and mash it.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

The first tractor I owned, a 1963 Kenworth cabin over with a 318 double breasted Yamaha (Detroit) had spit rims with a locking ring on the drives and Alcoa aluminum steers.  Only truck I ever drove that had so much power you had to downshift to go over a cigarette butt..... ;D

Was a 2 stick 4x4 roadranger.  4 on the main and 4 on the auxillary.  What a POS.  never changed the oil, just added.

Wheels have progressed quite a bit from split rim Dayton's and Empi-Guards to 10 hole bud style to pilot mount 10 hole today.

The stuff I drive today.....  500 horsepower, 1800 pounds feet torque, 13 and 18 speed Roadrangers with air ride suspension all around, digital cruise, climate control, air ride swivel seats heated of course....  Drivers have it made today and some cannot even shift a manual so lots of trucks now have automatics, fully electronic controlled.  Put it in D and mash it.
That reminds me on how an automatic transmission is very much like the Democrats and Republicans...D moves you forward...and R moves you backwards.   ;D
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

That is actually funny.

blue2

• Hero Talker

Yeah but it's not original.  I've seen that over the last week appear in various places. 

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

Yeah but it's not original.  I've seen that over the last week appear in various places.
I haven't seen it in a long time but it is old.

Sometimes oldies are goodies...like Bernie.  ;D
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

I'd recognize one of the old wheels if I saw it (apart, not mounted with a tire.  It was a two piece rim with no locking ring.  They were rough to break down because you had to get the pieces real close together and then twist one at an angle and then the two pieces will release.  They were a big safety issue because if they didn't 'latch' they might come apart while being inflated.  If you took time to clean them up good (and junk the ones that the lips were rusted away on) they were really a pretty decent rim.  The big thing when inflating them was the pieces had to remain parallel while inflating.  Could't use a cage so had to wrap them with chains.  Then inflate, check, inflate check.  Use lots of lube to make sure one side doesn't start raising more than the other...   check the back side, add air, check both sides, add air. 

They were only used on a very limited use truck but I can't remember what exactly.  Never had to take one off a truck but just ones they dropped off at the shop.  Seems like maybe it was some kind of a utility truck for a power company.  I did some work in the UP in a mining area but I'd also seen these in central Michigan.  I was doing them right at the time they were finally 'outlawed' and we had to post a sign saying we would not work on them anymore. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
Re: Anyone ever had their mower decks 'undercoated' with spray truck bed liner?
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »

Been busy working on mower decks...

While doing some research yesterday I found a guy that has the same exact combination of Cub Cadets that I do (I don't count the Low Boy...  not a lot of those out there anymore).

I know these are not my tractors because the safety shield (belt drive cover) is removed from both mower decks!!!  I've left it off to 'test and adjust' but never to mow.  Can't imagine stepping down on those belts spinning :o :o :o

The one on the left is a gear drive.  I've had one of those for years.  I've really never been a big fan of hydrostatic drive mowers...  not sure why...  never had any bad experiences but just always preferred a clutch and select my own gears!

Bought the one on the right 'for my wife' so she could work on the lawn too.

I found the picture while looking for some 'how to' info on one of the CC forums:

http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9914

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:38:59 AM by BigRedDog »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

While we were in Florida I was across the street helping the neighbor work on his mower deck.  I saw a spray can on the shelf of a Gunk brand of spray for treating mower decks.  He said he'd been using it about a year and it does seem to help but he still has to scrape or wash every few times he mows.

Lawn Mower Deck Spray - Non Stick Mower Spray

A note on the above video...   this is an electric mower!  If you have a gasoline powered mower do NOT turn it over like this unless you drain the fuel and the engine oil (assuming it's not an old 2 stroke Lawn Boy or similar) or you're going to have more issues to deal with than a dirty mower deck :o :o :o

I also just found this video which is more along the line of what I want to do with some of my antique decks.

LAWN MOWER DECK UNDERCOATING !

Rust Oleum rubberized spray undercoating.  I've used it on cars and trucks and I kind of want something a little harder but it may still do what I want it to do :-\ :-\ :-\

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

I though i was the only guy to spray Rustoleum on the underside of the deck.  It doesn't seem to last long once i start mowing but i think it helps keep it from rusting over the winter. If you can't find anyone that will spray the bedliner material perhaps the spray undercoating you can buy at auto stores will work too.  I use it for axle, springs etc on my truck so it doesn't look so nasty..
I haven't tried the graphite.  But i do use silicone on the the inside of the snowblower chute and around where it swivels.

Rustoleum every chance I get...

Anti seize compound on every possible threaded connection the first time I have to take them apart. 

If I have time to get to the hardware store I'll usually get stainless hardware with elastic locking nuts when I can.  It all makes for easier work the next time I have to work on something.  When you keep tractors and mowers running for 40+ years you need to make whatever you can a little easier ;) ;) ;)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up