MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Semi traffic

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Semi traffic  (Read 548 times)

rwwjr

• Hero Talker
Semi traffic
« on: August 16, 2016, 11:54:40 AM »

I have a question I hope someone can help me with.  Why is it with all the truck traffic coming through town, more specifically the stone haulers on Telegraph Rd coming from the quarry, why do they always seem to drive in the fast lane?  It takes forever for them to start the traffic moving causing traffic hazards with other drivers switching lanes, darting in and out.  And for the few trucks that DO use the outside lane, invariably they pull side to side with the fast lane trucks causing a REAL traffic slowdown.  I'm hoping there is possibly a truck driver on here that can explain things.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Semi traffic
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »

Usually when I see them on Telegraph you have two side by side have a low speed drag race.

It is a surprise and a delight for all around for sure.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »

My guess and why I use that lane - is the people who drive in the right hand lane that don't signal and then stop suddenly -   
At least the left turning people have their own lane.

If I were driving in that type of area in a vehicle that took time to stop/start I'd go in the lane with less of that action.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »

This increase in stone truck traffic out of the Telegraph rd pit is because of a massive order for stone at Detroit Metro Airport for a new runway projest. Monroe Township just approved extending their hours and the volume ramped up about 2 weeks ago. There is probably 150 trucks or more hauling all day every day to fill the order in a timely manner.
I suggested a temporary traffic light at the quarry entrance to ease congestion at least there.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:41:09 AM »

This increase in stone truck traffic out of the Telegraph rd pit is because of a massive order for stone at Detroit Metro Airport for a new runway projest. Monroe Township just approved extending their hours and the volume ramped up about 2 weeks ago. There is probably 150 trucks or more hauling all day every day to fill the order in a timely manner.
I suggested a temporary traffic light at the quarry entrance to ease congestion at least there.

I wonder if the runway project is related to this Mlive article from last year.  Probably would have taken them that long to get everything ready to move forward.

I wonder how much of this ended up being one of those Federal grants...

you know...

FREE MONEY (NOT) >:( >:( >:(

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2015/01/report_225m_detroit_metro_airp.html

Modified to add the link!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 10:05:54 AM »

My guess and why I use that lane - is the people who drive in the right hand lane that don't signal and then stop suddenly -   
At least the left turning people have their own lane.

If I were driving in that type of area in a vehicle that took time to stop/start I'd go in the lane with less of that action.

Sometimes they have their very own lane...

and sometimes someone in opposing traffic is using it for a left turn...

or as an 'accelerate and merge' lane...

and sometimes those damned emergency vehicles are using it to get somewhere to save a life or put out a fire ;) ;) ;)

and occasionally there is the driver in a major hurry that uses it to pass all those 'slow poke' drivers :o :o :o
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 01:49:21 PM »

If I was pulling loaded doubles, I'd do the same thing.  Easier to merge into the inside lane than go all the way over to the slower lane.  People don't yield right of way, anyway.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: [1]   Go Up