MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > 25 People Dead, Mostly Children, at Connecticut Elementary School Shooting

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 People Dead, Mostly Children, at Connecticut Elementary School Shooting  (Read 11568 times)

Monique

• Hero Talker
Re: 25 People Dead, Mostly Children, at Connecticut Elementary School Shooting
« Reply #180 on: December 16, 2012, 10:00:18 PM »

Thanks, Skit. I finally found the entire speech on Fox News, of all places.  ;) Watching now.

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2012, 10:09:30 PM »

Everyone who spoke at the vigil gave very heartfelt and moving talks.  It was inter-faith and very sincere.  I particularly liked the two young boys who spoke.  Very emotional.  Very emotional.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »

I found it on YouTube...hope this link works for you

http://youtu.be/M1gSsm5xlKQ
Lost it when he named the children. Awesome speech.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2012, 08:23:06 AM »

A few details on the school in Monroe they will be attending when they go back to school...

http://news.msn.com/us/conn-survivors-to-attend-school-in-neighboring-town
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2012, 09:11:43 AM »

Article with video of the memorial service held in Monroe yesterday:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2012/dec/16/local-memorial-remembers-lives-lost-conn-tragedy/

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2012, 05:27:55 PM »

So many heart touching stories coming out of this.  I don't cry easily, but this one brought a tear to my eye.

Neighbor took 6 young survivors into his home

http://news.yahoo.com/neighbor-took-6-young-survivors-home-205020443.html

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) — Gene Rosen had just finished feeding his cats and was heading from his home near Sandy Hook Elementary school to a diner Friday morning when he saw six small children sitting in a neat semicircle at the end of his driveway.

A school bus driver was standing over them, telling them things would be all right. It was about 9:30 a.m., and the children, he discovered, had just run from the school to escape a gunman.

"We can't go back to school," one little boy told Rosen. "Our teacher is dead. Mrs. Soto; we don't have a teacher."

Rosen, a 69-year-old retired psychologist, took the four girls and two boys into his home, and over the next few hours gave them toys, listened to their stories and called their frantic parents.

Rosen said he had heard the staccato sound of gunfire about 15 minutes earlier but had dismissed it as an obnoxious hunter in the nearby woods.

"I had no idea what had happened," Rosen said. "I couldn't take that in."

He walked the children past his small goldfish pond with its running waterfall, and the garden he made with his two grandchildren, into the small yellow house he shares with his wife.

He ran upstairs and grabbed an armful of stuffed animals. He gave those to the children, along with some fruit juice, and sat with them as the two boys described seeing their teacher being shot.

Victoria Soto, 27, was a first-grade teacher killed when 20-year-old Adam Lanza burst into her classroom. It wasn't clear how the children escaped harm, but there have been reports that Soto hid some of her students from the approaching gunman. The six who turned up at Rosen's home did apparently have to run past her body to safety.

"They said he had a big gun and a little gun," said Rosen, who didn't want to discuss other details the children shared.

Rosen called the children's parents, using cellphone numbers obtained from the school bus company, and they came and retrieved their children.

One little girl, he said, spent the entire ordeal clutching a small stuffed Dalmatian to her chest and staring out the window looking for her mommy.

And one little boy brought them all a moment of levity.

"This little boy turns around, and composes himself, and he looks at me like he had just removed himself from the carnage and he says, 'Just saying, your house is very small,'" Rosen said. "I wanted to tell him, 'I love you. I love you.'"

Rosen said Sandy Hook had always been a place of joy for him. He taught his 8-year-old grandson to ride his bike in the school parking lot and took his 4-year-old granddaughter to use the swings.

"I thought today how life has changed, how that ground has been marred, how that school has been desecrated," he said.

He said it wasn't his training as a psychologist that helped him that day — it was being a grandparent.

A couple of hours after the last child left, a knock came on his door. It was a frantic mother who had heard that some children had taken refuge there. She was looking for her little boy.

"Her face looked frozen in terror," Rosen said, breaking down in tears.

"She thought maybe a miracle from God would have the child at my house," he said. Later, "I looked at the casualty list ... and his name was on it."

Support the local economy as much as possible!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2012, 06:17:43 PM »

I have no issue with you, excelsior.  I just quoted you to establish context.

Out of respect for the victims in this tragedy, I won't take your bait, and tell you where to go, frog.  I was spending the day with my family, and did some work this evening, and didn't have time to bow to your excellence. 

Now, go ahead and post all of my "other identities". 

You have my permission, because I don't have any.
LOL...guess you forgot you created "livewire" to become your own cheerleader.
Don't worry, Gary, Frenchfry just likes to argue - with everybody.  He's battling with Momem on the jokes thread, too.

I'm sorry you lost the election, Gary.  I voted for you!  I think you would have easily won if more voters came out to vote.  The paper said only 17% of the voters bothered to vote.  That is pitiful, and the people that didn't vote better not complain when things get worse in London Township - and they will get worse.

So, according to your post, you haven't given up yet, right?  Are you making plans on running for office in 2008?  Please say YES!
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2012, 06:35:05 PM »

OMG can you imagine!?!?!  Finding those little babies huddled on your driveway?

As these stories emerge, the emotional roller coaster of this week will continue.

I missed it, but I just watched on YouTube, SNL's opener on Saturday night was beautiful.  (Note:  I do not go back and scour the threads, so it may have been discussed already)  It was a very simple but sweet opener with a children's choir singing Silent Night:

'SNL' Opens With 'Silent Night' in Honor of Shooting Victims

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2012, 06:44:40 PM »

Wasn't that beautiful and just right? I feel like I've been weeping since Friday afternoon, but that brought even more tears. "Sleep in Heavenly peace...."  :'(

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2012, 07:29:14 PM »

Very touching story fuzz...I saw a compiled picture of all the victims from the shooting and it just breaks my heart seeing those kids faces...I can't look at that little girl in the center without crying... :'(

"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »

The RAGE in me is overwhelming; and the heartbreak is almost unbearable. 

As much as I refuse to look at the face of the killer, I dreaded the time I looked at the faces of the little babies . . . . but there it was. 

They're so beautiful. 

This is all just too much.  Just too much.   :'(

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »

I made the mistake of looking at their pictures this morning. Devastating. I mourned each one. The little redheaded boy and girl got me the worst.

Way too close to home.

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »

OMG.  Turn on The Voice right now.

They're singing Hallaleuja holding a card with each name on it.

(I don't care that I spelled it wrong)

Oh, it's over.  But it was BEAUTIFUL!   

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2012, 09:14:45 PM »

OK, if it makes you happier . . . ACCIDENTAL heroes.

They were slaughtered like fish in a barrell that resulted in bringing this country together to mourn their loss.

Anything that can bring this country together (for whatever reason and for whatever short period of time that is) is heroic. 

That is my opinion and I'm really not interested in a challenge to my opinion. 

It is my opinion. 

And, CK, you can take the above and apply to yourself as well.

The end. 

I understand.

I can't help but think of all the accidental hero's our government creates in our name with drone strikes taking out booger men who live in caves half way around the world.

26 dead in a school? Yep, a tragedy of horrific proportions for those involved. For the Nation no. Not for those who are paying attention.

Thousands of our folks killed fighting BS wars and draining the coffers of a Nation to do what?
Find one guy in a cave that was most likely dead years prior, while systematically bankrupting a whole Nation?

Now, that is a heinous crime beyond description that hardly gets a mention today!

And, we know right where the criminals are!

Sad part is, two weeks from now it will be all about the Bowl Games.

The Roman's had the Coliseum we have the TV.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Up