MonroeTalks.com > Categories > BlogsMonroe.com > Hunting with Mike

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunting with Mike  (Read 13711 times)

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Find Beavers – Find Brookies
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 12:40:48 PM »

Find Beavers – Find Brookies
3 October 2009, 12:32 pm

One thing that the beavers do an excellent job of, is make some wonderful trout habitat.  The water behind the dams are usually teaming with fish, as they swim downstream and are...

Source: Hunting with Mike

arpydave

• Hero Talker
Re: Hunting with Mike
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »

ooops, my bad

I thought this was a one night stand pick up thread. :P
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Beaver Stik’s
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 11:00:20 PM »

Beaver Stik’s
4 October 2009, 9:52 pm

I mentioned that I collect some of the limbs that beavers cut from trees and make walking sticks out of them.  Most of the ones I get have the bark already stripped off of ...

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Little Tiger
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »

Little Tiger
8 October 2009, 4:29 pm

Every now and then you have to shift gears and put the old hunting stories on the back burner.  Ain’t much to talk about anyway as the deer seem to be winning most of th...

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Hauling Dear
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 10:12:28 PM »

Hauling Dear
13 October 2009, 10:11 pm

Well if you aren’t going to haul deer with it, you might as well haul something “dear!”  Here it is the 13th of October, and I’m ashamed to say I have not...

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Rambling Man
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 02:08:55 PM »

Rambling Man
21 October 2009, 12:16 pm

This is my little grand-daughter Addisyn giving me a birthday peck on the cheek.  It was a true test of her love, as I just recently grew my scruffy hunting beard back.  Sh...

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Where The Wild Ferns Grow
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 12:34:58 AM »

Where The Wild Ferns Grow
23 October 2009, 12:12 am

What does this look like to you?  Could it be the path back to the barn after grazing all day.  It could be, but it’s not!  This is a genuine southern Michigan deer run.  I f...

afveteran88

• Hero Talker
Re: Hunting with Mike
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 02:40:10 AM »

Nice trail you have there. Have you seen any rubs/scrapes yet? I have been out quite a bit latley and have seen some does, but all cameras show is movement of the bucks at night. Pre-rut now, but give it a week or so and they should start moving. By the way....Nice Blog.
"If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier."

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Darryl Does It Again
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 12:50:35 AM »

Darryl Does It Again
23 October 2009, 11:41 pm

Thank God for my brother Darryl!  Because of his ability to put meat in the freezer and a rack on the wall, I have something to write about.  This evening I got a phone ca...

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Fall Colors
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »

Fall Colors
27 October 2009, 2:12 pm

The fall colors have reached their peak around here.  In some places the reds, oranges, yellows, crimsons, and various shades of green are nothing short of breathtaking.  A...

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: My Little Pumpkins
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2009, 02:02:32 AM »

My Little Pumpkins
29 October 2009, 12:32 am

What do you do, at this time of year, when you can’t make it out in the woods to hunt?  Why, you carve pumpkins for your grand kids.  This is the first of several I’...

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Five Little Treats
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 01:53:04 AM »

Five Little Treats
1 November 2009, 1:35 am

From left to right.  Kyle, Jacob, Nina, Ava, and Addisyn getting ready to ring some doorbells.  It was a little chilly, but no rain or wind, so all in all it was a g...

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Priorities and Perspectives
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 12:25:01 AM »

Priorities and Perspectives
4 November 2009, 12:11 am

As of yet I have not taken my bow in the woods.  I have not spent one minute in a tree stand.  This has been a very unusual year to say the least.  I officially started deer hunting when I was 14 years old.  This  marks my 49th. year for trying to put some venison in the freezer, or put a nice ...

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Let the Games Begin
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2009, 07:32:22 PM »

Let the Games Begin
5 November 2009, 7:16 pm

The Lord works in mysterious ways!   As of today I have a tree stand up and a ground blind in place.  I was able to do it while watching my grand son Kyle this morning....

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Hunting with Mike: Joe Giarmo A True Friend (RIP)
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »

Joe Giarmo A True Friend (RIP)
10 November 2009, 2:49 pm

PhotobucketI have not been able to bring myself to do any writing due to the fact that my good friend, and father figure died this past Saturday morning.  Joe Giarmo was 93 years young, but those of us who knew and loved him just could not imagine life without him around.  He was at Fountain-View rehabilitation home after having a small heart attack a couple weeks ago.  He was progressing nicely, except he didn’t want to be there at all.  He even took a short visit to his house the day before he passed away, to see if he could be released to go home the next week.  He went peacefully as his body and heart just were wore out.

Joe was a local legend, as he coached boxers for more than 60 years.  Hundreds and hundreds of boys owe Joe a debt of gratitude for teaching them, not just about boxing, but about life.  Many a young boy Joe took off the street and turned their lives around for the good.  From our former mayor, to CEO”s, to police captains/lieutenants, coaches, union officials, and just plane old working people Joe showed them how to treat people and how to  believe in yourself.  Respect others and respect yourself is what Joe taught.

Joe put Monroe on the map in the 50’s and 60’s with his championship boxing teams.  He had Golden gloves champs, state champs, AAU champs, national champs, Olympic hopefuls, and world champions.  Joe’s trademark “left hook” was the bread and butter punch for many of Joe’s boys.  Many will give honor and tribute to him over these next several days.

The last e-mail Joe ever wrote was to me, his Pal.  He signed it “I love you, Joe.”  He was a man of passion and compassion, and me and my family are so blessed to have known him.  Joe was a faithful Catholic, as is his huge Italian family.  It is kind of ironic though that God surrounded him with many Baptist/Evangelist/Spirit Filled  friends (myself included.)  If you are numbered among us (Protestants) you will know what the sinners prayer is.  Back on Oct. 19th. 2005 my wife and I knelt with Joe in his living room, as he repented of his sins and asked Christ into his heart.  Joe wept with us as he was assured of his home in Heaven.  I am comforted that one day soon I will see Joe again and we will have an eternity to explore the vast reaches of the heavens.

Who would of thought that one simple kid, from the east side of the tracks, could of left such an impact on his community.  You left a legacy of love  Papa Joe, and your memory will be cherished forever.  Till we meet again.  I remain your son, brother, pal, and admirer.

Because He lives

Mike

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up