MonroeTalks.com > Categories > BlogsMonroe.com > News notes

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: News notes  (Read 2939 times)

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
News Notes: Same topics attract students to Web site
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »

Same topics attract students to Web site
5 October 2010, 5:48 pm

It probably comes as no surprise, but college students are interested in about the same kinds of stories as the rest of us. The top stories on the student Web site at Monroe County Community College so far this semester – www.mcccagora.com – involve television, death, sex and religion. I remember when the Internet first [...]

Source: News notes

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
News Notes: Students hopeful they’ll have jobs in journalism
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »

Students hopeful they’ll have jobs in journalism
26 October 2010, 1:02 pm

I recently reconnected with an old friend in the newspaper business, who now edits a community newspaper in Wisconsin. One of his first questions was, “What’s the attitude of students taking journalism classes these days?” He didn’t have to explain further. It was clear that he meant, “Are they worried about the state of jobs [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
News Notes: NPR hurting more than Juan Williams
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »

NPR hurting more than Juan Williams
27 October 2010, 1:20 pm

The Juan Williams affair is doing more damage to NPR than to Mr. Williams. Williams walked away with a $2 million contract with Fox News; NPR has a serious perception problem that is more of a reopened sore than a new wound. For most of its history, National Public Radio and the Public Broadcasting Service [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
News Notes: Long hours, low pay – I’m jealous
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 09:37:09 AM »

Long hours, low pay – I’m jealous
17 November 2010, 4:24 pm

I’m jealous. There’s a side of me that would trade places in a heartbeat with the young woman who recently took a job advertised as, “Long hours, low pay…” Joe Grimm, in his blog at the Poynter Institute, told about Darcy Wallace, a new graduate of the University of Oregon journalism school, who began work [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
News Notes: Shakespeare or Web Design?
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 09:37:09 AM »

Shakespeare or Web Design?
24 November 2010, 11:16 am

Part of my job is to advise journalism students on what courses they should take at MCCC. Intro to Shakespeare, or Web Design? Often, the choices are obvious. Students should take the general education courses that transfer easily and will fill the basic requirements at any university where they decide to enroll. And they should take the journalism courses and related subjects [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
News Notes: WikiLeaks: a tale of two thoughts
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »

WikiLeaks: a tale of two thoughts
17 December 2010, 4:27 pm

I’ve been struggling since the WikiLeaks episode began nearly two weeks ago to come to terms with where I stand.For most of my life, I’ve defended the concept of open government and the public’s right to access to government records and meetings. Yet, partly because of the many hours I’ve spent – and lawsuits I’ve [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
News Notes: Obama urges a return to civility – nice idea
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »

Obama urges a return to civility – nice idea
14 January 2011, 11:29 am

There was a time, when I was younger, when I would have responded with enthusiasm to President Obama’s call for a return to civility in our public discourse. The president, speaking during a memorial service in Arizona following the shooting of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and others at a street corner rally, urged Americans to [...]

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up