MonroeTalks.com > Categories > BlogsMonroe.com > Pet Talk

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pet Talk  (Read 946 times)

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Pet Talk
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »

monroe humane,   per manager request.
17 November 2008, 12:32 am

Here we go again. The manager of the shelter has requested that I write yet another posting. Like I said before,  that is not the reason for this blog.

I do have to give the shelter some credit this time. I think that is GREAT that they donate food to people in hard times for there animals. Ann Arbor advertises the same thing. This is a much better thing to do with the food, than putting it in the garbage.  Thumbs up to the shelter for this policy change.

To clear a few things up for both blue berry & confused. You should read the entire article before commenting on them. If you were to read them you would notice,

1} I have never said anything negative about a Volunteer, or shelter employee.   It is there policies that i have complained about.

A VOLuNTEER is a person who gives time, energy, and money to the shelter. An EMPLOYEE is a person who gives time, energy, and receives money from the shelter. A MANAGER is a person who gives time, energy, and also receives money from the shelter. A BOARD MEMBER is a person who also gives time , energy, and money to the shelter.   The volunteers and employees do NOT set policies.   These are the people who clean up feces and care for the animals.  As all of you know, there are NO long term employees at this shelter.  Blue berry said they must be working at McDonalds.  I think most of them are fed up bad policies and bad attitudes, A Manager is the one that sets these policies.  The board members are the people who over see these operations. It is these failed policies that are causing problems. Not the people.

I was at a board meeting a few moths back.  There was a volunteer there, voicing a complaint. There also was a girl adopting a dog from there, voicing a complaint,  as well as my wife and I.  When I was asked by the president of the board if I had a problem with the manager I said NO. The manager was at this meeting as well, So she knows this is true.  At the next meeting, There was a volunteer, a customer and my wife and I again. We were�told to be there to hear the results of are complaints. We were told, That the complaints were valid,  they did not know why they happened, then they thanked us for coming.  At the last board meeting there was another volunteer with a 5 page complaint, And a board member with a 10 page complaint.  They were also told if they attended this meeting they would tell them the results of ther complaints. This is the first time I heard of any person talk about the manager by name.  These�complaints were also dismissed. All 15 pages of them.

2} This is not a personal vendetta, as you claim.  I have not mentioned people or names. I have only mentioned failed policies. The management and the board are the people who set these policies that is why I have talked about them. NOT the employees or the volunteers.

3}  These issues HAVE been going on for years. I have talked to 3 different shelter managers, 2 shelter directors, I even emailed the newspaper a few years ago about this. No one seems to care.  Just by the comments from blue berry,  confused, and learning to spell,  you will see this.  These people are ignoring the failed policies, they only comment on the work being done by volenteers and employees.

4}  I think it is great that they are donating food to a volunteer to give food to the cats behind K mart. This is NOT an employee who is doing that though.  She also no longer works at this shelter. If you read the first comment from the shelter manager you would see that she disagrees with the feeding of these cats. She said they should not be on the streets, or out in the cold, with no shelter.

5} I have volunteered my time at this shelter for several years now.  However I have NEVER went into that shelter and asked if I could train these dogs.  Every single time that we have worked with these dogs we were asked by the shelter.  I do feel it is wrong for anyone to point fingers at volunteers, like my self that is just doing what was asked of me.  It was a board member and the president of the board who contacted me about starting the U of Pit program. This program was funded by donations It was to give these dogs training for one year, give them AKC canine good citizen certification, and the new owner a years worth of dog food donated by NUTRO.  These were all dogs stuck in the shelter for more than 2 yrs. The shelter claims they were unadoptable and did what they could to stop these dogs from leaving. When these dogs started getting adopted anyway, they stopped the program, and forced the volunteers and board member out. This board member has given many many years to this shelter, and many many dollars as well. It is a shame to see people treated this way. BLUE BERRY shame on you for supporting this decision

6}  Dog walking is NOT bad for a dog. I have never heard anyone applauded for not walking a dog. I have been training dogs for many years, been through dog training schools, have read 100’s of books on training dogs, have seen many dog training video’s, Watched show’s like dog whisperer,  Its me or the dog,  and good dog U,  I have talked to dozens of vets,  groomers, breeders, rescue groups, and other shelters, and I have never heard any say dog walking is a bad thing. As a matter of fact is you were to ask all of the people in these positions they would tell you play in a back yard is not enough DOGS NEED TO BE WALKED.

7} It is my opinion that sick animals should be separated from the general population until you have had them treated and they are not contagious. I heard your comments about not having room. This was also addressed at the last board meeting. The board said the parvo dogs were put into quarantine after 48 hrs. of being in the shelter. I feel this should have been done before exposing the other animals, not after. If space was truly the issue, they would not have been moved after. Again onther BAD POLICY.  Also If space were the issue they should not try to stop animals from being adopted to GOOD homes.

8} Here at DUNDEE K9 we DO NOT ALLOW the use of pinch collars, prong collars, spike collars, or choke collars. All dogs are fitted with premier collars or standard collars.  It is the humane society that has the policily that all there dogs must wear a choke chain when coming and leaving the shelter. We even donated these collars to the shelter. It is against there policy to use them. A choke chain is a metal chain wrapped around a dog neck designed to choke them into submission.  A premier collar is a wide nylon collar that is designed so a dog cannot slip out of a collar without the chance of choking.

As for the hanging you speak of,  you must be talking about NOEL.  She is a dog that was a fence jumper.  There policy was to put her in a 4ft kennel out back on a tie out. Yet another BAD POLICY. No person that loves dogs would even consider doing this.  Let alone do it with a metal chain wrapped around her neck.  As you can see she is a known fence jumper. so when she jumped the fence she was wearing a collar designed to choke her. BAD POLICIES from humane society,  NOT Dundee K9.

9}  If you agree that  trained dogs have a better chance of getting adopted, and the shelter people do not have time for this. Why do you find it so horrible for board members and volunteers to do this for them.   After all that is how the humane society postings started.  Just look at what happened to TOBY he was a little puppy at the shelter. There policy of NO training is not good for a small puppy. There are basic things all puppies need to learn, housebreaking, manners around other dogs, manners around people, manners around FOOD. These failed policies allowed TOBY to become food aggressive. This alone would not be a problem. {Stupid maybe, all dog owners know to prevent food aggression.] Any dog trainer in this country can tell you how to solve food aggression with a puppy. None of those methods include DEATH.

10} There are  animal control shelters {dog pounds}. They are to look out for the safety and well being of the community as a whole. Stray or rabid dogs running the streets pose a danger to society. These are the people that take care of this for us. They have an open honest relation ship with the public.   There are humane society’s. They are to look out for the safety and well being of the animals in there community. These are the people that pick up starving, abused, and neglected dogs.  Monroe humane will not pick up these animals they refer them to animal control.  There are both kill and no kill shelters. Kill shelters also are open and honest about there policies. These shelters use volunteers to help clean shelters, care for animals, walk dogs, and train dogs. These shelters also use rescue groups to help place animals that they are not equiped to deal with. This places the dogs in a foster home so they are not stuck in a cage developing more issues.  I only wish monroe humane could be more open and honest about there policies. Not the board members stating there policies are private matters and don’t concern any volunteer.

Source: Pet Talk

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Heated dog beds, and large dog coats
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »

Heated dog beds, and large dog coats
17 November 2008, 9:21 pm

Winter is coming soon, the weather is getting colder.  My older mastiff will be 11yrs old in a few weeks. He is not as heavy as he used to be. This is a good thing for his joints, but not for the cold. I have tried different dog coats on him, nothing seems to fit large breed dogs. They say they are x large but only fit dogs around 90 lbs or so.  If they fit around his chest they are not long enough to go to his rear. Dogs wearing coats is silly looking to me.  I used to pick on my wife for making him wear one.  Until last year in the training barn, He keep poking at his coat hanging on the rack. I new he must really like it. This coat did not fit very good, and did not stay in place very well, But he liked it. So I did some checking and found that RUFF WEAR makes a really nice dog coat, It truly does fit the large breed dogs. I also know of a man in Milan who has one on his service dog,�a Great Dane. This is a nice product, Fits well, looks nice, and stays in place. This is one birthday present for Justice.

The other one is his new dog bed. PET SAFE makes a dog mat, a dog bed, and a dog sleeper. These have heat and massage, The mat is good for putting in a crate, and it is heated,  Like an electric blanket. The dog bed and the sleeper both have heat and massage. The sleeper is a bed with sides on it. Not necessary for my dogs, they just lay over the sides anyway. But more than likly the little dogs would like them.  These beds are awesome for dogs with arthritis. It not only helps keep them warm,  it also seems soothing to there joints. Just like a recliner with heat and massage.  When your cold, stiff,  and tired that chair sure feels good.

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Oxygen masks
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »

Oxygen masks
30 November 2008, 9:21 pm

Suzette Swies understands firsthand the relationship people have with their pets.

”I would risk my life to save my dog,” Swies said of the 4-year-old lab-mix Sammy. “Pets are a huge part of people’s families.”

And that is why Swies is such an advocate of providing area fire departments with the equipment necessary to save pets’ lives in a fire.

“You save a life of someone’s pet and they don’t forget it,” said Novi Fire Chief Frank Smith. “When a fire happens, the people will get out, but the animals sometimes don’t

Friday, the Novi Fire Department received animal rescue oxygen masks through a donation from Invisible Fence of Tri County, based in Wixom.

“In 2006, it was estimated more than 40,000 pets died in fires and most were due to smoke inhalation,” said Swies, who is the marketing development coordinator of the company. “These have been used on everything from dogs, to cats, to birds.”

Each of Novi’s four fire stations received a kit containing small, medium and large oxygen masks with different oxygen flow settings, specifically designed for pets.

“We’re going to put one bag on each of our four engines,” Smith said. “In year’s past, we kind of did the best we could with what we had, but when it comes to animal care, this is state-of-the-art.”

Invisible Fence of Tri County also donated kits, worth $60 each, to the Walled Lake Fire Department

Invisible Fence Brand Tri County

29242 Lyon Oaks Drive

Wixom, covering Washtenaw, Livingston and Oakland counties

(248) 437-9663

www.invisiblefence.com

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
good citizen testing for puppies
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »

good citizen testing for puppies
9 December 2008, 8:34 am

AKC is now offering, AKC canine good citizen testing for puppies.  The canine good citizen program is designed to prove your dog is trained to follow basic commands, is under control around distractions, has good manners around people and and other animals,�and will sit politely for petting, grooming, and vet checks etc.etc.

This program is now available for puppies, The puppy must be a graduate from an obedience class, and then pass a 20 point test to become certified.

TheAKC believes all dogs should be able to pass these tests. If your dog cannot pass this test he/or she is in need of training. These tests are not graded or a competition they are simple, you either   pass or need more training on all of the steps.

This program is very important if you have a breed of dog that is being portrayed as aggressive, and is often a prerequisite for therapy dogs.

If you would like more info. on canine good citizen testing you can visit akc.org or contact your local training facility

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Is Breed Banning discrimination
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »

Is Breed Banning discrimination
15 January 2009, 3:51 pm

Banning of certain breeds of dogs is taking place all over the country. Some of these bans are for good reason, Some are not.

When you look at some of the insurance companies out there, they are canceling policies, if  own certain dog breeds.

Pit Bulls, Rotts, Dobermans, Chows, Akitas, Shepards Etc.   These bans are because the insurance co. has been forced to pay,  because of these dogs biting. 

If you look at bite statistics there are 1000’s of dog bites every year in every state.  These bites are from all breeds of dogs.

When I last checked in Toledo Oh.  the Shepard mix was the #1 biter  and the Lab mix was #2    followed by the Pit bull at #3.   

Cocker spanials, & Terriers are always on the list as well Chows, & Chihuhu’s.

WHY is it that when someone gets bitten by a lab mix its not news,  But when its a Pitbull its national news.     

Also WHY is it that Pitbull bans have many other breeds grouped together calling them all Pitbulls.

In the Toledo Oh Pitbull ban they have 14 different breeds making up the pitbull category.  It of course includes American bulldogs, Bull terriers etc. but also Boxer mix, Mastiff  mix, etc. 

It seems silly to say that a Lab is not banned and a Boxer is not banned , But if they had puppies together all of the puppies would be banned because they are boxer mix’s.

This ban is in place saying that the breed of dog called PITBULL can be Vicious. 

If this Is true then it would not  take 14 different breeds to makeup the pitbull category. Even then it is still at #3.  If you notice the German Shepard is split from Shepard mix.  Is this fair when you consider Pitbull includes not only mixes but mixes of several other breeds.  

We DON’T do that with PEOPLE why is it OK with a DOG.

1st of all people need to be held accountable for there own actions.  If you cannot trust your dog you NEED to get help.  You are responsible for training and socializing your dog. 

There is no public school system for dogs.  You cannot put them on a bus and send them to school. You have to bring them to a trainer or get help from someone.

I see it all to often that people ignore  little problems with there dogs. As these problems progress and get worse, they are still ignored until some one gets hurt.

Then its all of a sudden a major problem. The dog must be trained in a hurry or he has to go. 

2nd   TRAIN YOUR DOG.  A well trained dog is a pleasure to be around.  The breed does not matter.   The Target dog should not be banned,   He has been trained,   He would be fun to be around.

Lets not blame an entire breed of dog for lack of responsibility on the owners behalf.    Lets also not blame 13 breeds of dog when you are complaining of only 1.

I have heard of people wanting to ban large breeds.  They say that any large dog has the potential to cause serious injury to someone.  This is really dumb , because most Pitbulls are not large breeds. With this ban in place you would have to tell a 70 yr. old lady that her Golden Retriever is banned,  But the teen aged gang bangers can still have there Pitbulls.

If you are going to put a ban on dogs for aggression, it should be on all aggressive dogs.  Not just #3 on the list. 

I think it would be better to require testing of certain breeds before these dogs get a licence.  The AKC canine good citizen program would be a great way to start.  Any dog that cannot pass this test is in need of training.  If you cannot or will not train this dog you should not own it.  Find a different dog that you can handle.

If we were to put a program like this together, It could include any breed equally, do to statistics from past dog bites.  If your dog is a good dog, and he is under control,   you can prove this due to the test.  He is then licenced and  would not be banned.   A dog without a licence is banned.  

The people who always protest the breed bans say BAN THE DEED, NOT THE BREED.  The deed is dog fighting,and it is already banned.  So is owning an unlicensed dog.   Lets focus on the laws we already have.

Animal control office could do this testing before a dog licence is issued.  The fee for the testing could raise a lot of money to help the county. The animal control office could then concentrate on the true bad dogs instead of dealing with restrictions on puppies and well behaved dogs.

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Words! Just Words?
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »

Words!  Just Words?
26 February 2009, 4:28 pm

Did anyone get to read the letters to the editor in Sundays newspaper. This letter was sent in talking about how the Monroe Humane Society will consider some dogs unadoptable and then leave them locked in cages for years, while other dogs are adopted out with serious aggression issues.  We all know this has been going on for years this way. The other thing that Mr. Wing points out is they use the name Humane Society, Yet they are not a Humane Society at all.  WORDS Just WORDS.  They have no governing body, no rules to follow, just a Name that will bring in donations.

If you read the comments of the board president you will see more of these words.  He said ANYONE can adopt ANY DOG.  Again we all know this is NOT true. If this was true ,it would be very foolish. Some dogs would NOT do good in a home with children, some may NOT do good with cats,  some would NOT do good with other dogs,  .Etc.Etc. again just words. Also if this were true they would not need adoption applications. Because anyone can adopt any dog.

He also said NO DOG is left in a cage forever. Again just words. We all know you cant leave a dog there forever. Since NO DOG can live forever this would be impossible. The true question is how long is to long. I feel 6 mos. is to long. If you have a dog stuck in a cage for this long of a period with no exercise, no training, and no socialization, this can create serious problems. The board president does NOT see a problem with leaving a dog in a cage for 3 years or more. If you translate that to dog years that is 21 years in a gage. with NO interaction with other dogs.

Did these people forget that dogs are pack animals. Or is this something that they never knew. Or do they just NOT care.

While watching the news every year before a cold spell or in the summer before it gets real hot they all ways say if you see a dog with out shelter you should contact your local Humane Society. Again we all know we cannot do this in Monroe Co.  They tell you to contact Animal Control. This is because they are NOT a Humane Society at all.  They are just a rescue group with a shelter, instead of foster homes.

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Pet Talk: Dog show in Monroe
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »

Dog show in Monroe
3 September 2009, 3:19 pm

The Monroe Kennel Club will be hosting an AKC dog show the last weekend in sept.  Every year  Monroe hosts one of the area’s best Dog Shows.  This is an outdoor show, with many vendors.  They also will be having Canine Good Citizen tests at the 4H pavilion. You can also have your dog Mi...

Pages: [1]   Go Up