MonroeTalks.com > Categories > BlogsMonroe.com > The Backyard Gardener: The Backyard Gardener

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Backyard Gardener: The Backyard Gardener  (Read 2329 times)

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
The Backyard Gardener: Choosing Equipment
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 08:54:58 PM »

Choosing Equipment
18 March 2010, 8:18 pm

While working in the yard the past few days I have been thinking about power equipment. Chainsaws in particular, but the saw is true for any outdoor power equipment, and most anything else for that matter.

Yesterday I was working with my older chainsaw of the two. I refer to it as my loaner saw. This is the only one I will let out of my sight. It’s a perfectly good saw, but it is on the small side. It starts right up and runs very well. It is also fairly heavy for its size and vibrates like crazy. I had it out because I figured it was due to be ran for a while and I could service it while it was out.

Today I had my good saw out. It starts on the first pull and runs very well. That is where the similarities end. It is larger but weighs less than the other one. Operating it is heavenly compared to the other one. There is literally no vibration. Maintenance and adjustments are much easier. The power to weight ratio is incredible. Of course, all these pluses cost more. The price is about twice as much as a lower end model.

Here is where it gets tricky. Anyone who reads TBG regularly knows I try to save money wherever I can. This is one of the reasons why. Tools are an investment that can last a long time with proper care. I believe in buying the best that you can afford. You may not need a professional model of whatever tool you are looking at, but buying the best model you can afford is a wise decision. I justify the extra expense with the money I save in other places. Less expensive items that will not last as long or perform as well are not a good investment.

I can not always buy the best tools available. I do always buy the best I can afford. This method has served me well for years. But remember, no matter how much money you spend, lack of maintenance and proper respect will shorten the life of any tool.

I’ll see you in the backyard!

Source: The Backyard Gardener

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
The Backyard Gardener: Spring Report
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 11:11:08 AM »

Spring Report
27 March 2010, 9:12 am

Yes, I am finally getting around to report on all the wonderful things I have been finding lately. There are wonderful signs of new life all over.

The Tiger Lilies have been showing their faces for days now. My Water Hyacinths are are peeking out as well. I have a wonderful project planned for some of those as the weather warms. We will be talking about memorial gardens as we do that project too. I am finding signs of life in almost everything now. From the raspberries to the Butterfly Bushes and many of the perennials in the landscape.

I was really surprised to see my chives and bunching onions did so well over the winter. There seems to be surprises at every turn now.

I have also decided on my vegetable garden plans for the season. This should prove interesting as it will be drastically different from years past. I will be sharing them with you very soon.

While thinking and talking about the new life of plants in the spring I can’t forget to share what I am seeing every day at my job. Most of our small shrubs are stored in cold frames for the winter. Cold frames are basically greenhouses with a white cover rather than clear. These just function as added protection from the elements for small, tender plants. The covers are removed as the weather warms.

On the warm days we have been having, it gets very warm in the cold frames. Many of the plants  already have buds about to open up. A few are already leafed out. Some Forsythia are in full bloom. You can see differences in the plants from morning to afternoon. It is an exciting time for us plant lovers.

I’ll see you in the backyard!

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
The Backyard Gardener: Happy Easter!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 10:14:39 AM »

Happy Easter!
4 April 2010, 9:59 am

Happy Easter from my family to yours.I’ll see you in the backyard!

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
The Backyard Gardener: New findings and my wife’s reaction
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 07:16:57 PM »

New findings and my wife’s reaction
11 April 2010, 6:55 pm

It official. My wife thinks I am crazy. I came in the house very excited this afternoon. I am planning a garden renovation of sorts and I was out doing some planning. One of my major plans is moving my “leaf silos”, as I call them, to a different part of the garden. This is [...]

BlogsMonroe.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
The Backyard Gardener: A damper on my plans
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »

A damper on my plans
25 April 2010, 11:10 am

Hello. How is everyone enjoying their spring so far? Mine has been very busy. I had plans to get a lot of projects completed this weekend. The on and off rains have just caused me to decide to wait until nicer weather. It looks as if I will be very busy after work for quite [...]

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: The Backyard Gardener: The Backyard Gardener
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »

Seems like the place to drop this.... ;D ;D

I have plenty of aged manure free for the taking.  Great already composted for your garden to aid in breaking up that clay soil and growing great plants.  You pick it up, I'll load it in your pickup or you can bag it.

Just PM me.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

TheShepherd

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »

Seems like the place to drop this.... ;D ;D

Drop it like a load of......................compost. :)
"The Backyard Gardener"

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/backyard/

To be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in the spring- these are some of the rewards of the simple life.   John Burroughs  [1837-1921]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DJR-Creations/188968480501?ref=nf

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 09:38:04 PM »

Maybe I should add, unlike the stuff you buy at Meijers, Lowes or Walmart, mine is FREE

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 10:11:23 PM »

AND, unlike Meijer ,Lowe's, and Walmart, composted cow manure, NOT "compost and cow manure". BIG difference!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »

Interesting.  I've never read the fine print because I have plenty of my own, all the time.  There is probably 40 ton here. ;D

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 11:13:39 PM »

I see this blog is dormant and that's too bad.  I love gardening as well as farming.

I believe I'll post on it and keep it going....

Covered my Brussels Sprouts with straw this fall (Brussels Sprouts will grow all winter) under snow cover or mulched with straw.

Yesterday, with the warmer weather, I uncovered them and picked a bounty of tender sprouts which I cleaned (with my wife's help) and packed in freezer bags for later consumption.

You have to watch for rabbits if you cover them.  Rabbits love the tender sprouts.

My potatoes were dug this fall, dried in the barn and put in burlap sacks, hung in the root cellar.  The smaller tubers were put in cardboard boxes, sealed from any light and stacked on shelves, to be my seed potatoes for next season (which I'm willing to share if anyone wants any).

The onoin sets were also dug, dried in the barn as well and hung in mesh sacks in the cellar.

Never mix potatoes and onions when drying or storing.

All the carrots were dug, cleaned, sectioned and frozen.

I planted early and late cabbage.  I fermented both the early and late heads.  The early heads were a bit better, more green and jucy but both made excellent sauerkraut.  We have about 20 quarts left.  It's a favorite with family and friends.

Finally, I planted Ambrosia Hybrid sweet corn.  Ambrosia hybrid is hard to find.  We had an excellet crop despite the lack of moisture.  It' was all creamed or frozen whole on the cob.  I bought extra seed and it's in the freezer for next spring.

As usual, we'll have plenty of composted manure for free.  Bring your containers and/or pickup truck this spring.

Now, I'm looking forward to starting my seedlings indoors this year.  I'm going to start my carrots and my corn on the windowsill.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 06:42:12 AM »

Yea....I miss ole Shep's blog too, Flip.

I enjoy gardening as well, in fact been thinking of getting a license to grow legally.   ;)

Sure didn't know that about sprouts.....gotta remember that one.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »

I'd sure like to perpetuare the blog/thread.  To that end, I sent off a PM to admin to see if it's ok with them.

Besides, it gives me an avenue to dispose of our ever increasing supply of manure. ;D

Along that line...

I picked my green peppers in the fall (before the threat of frost that shrivels them) and the big ones were cleaned, blanched and my wife stuffed them with pre-cooked meat and rice and put in foil trays for the freezer.  Just the ticket on a winter's day for dinner.  Stuffed green peppers with cheese on top.  A quick trip in the oven to melt the cheese and warm the peppers is all that is needed.

The smaller peppers were cleaned, sliced and placed in freezer bags and direct frozen.  Green peppers for freezing don't need to be blanched and retain their color and flavor just fine.  Great for salads in the winter.

Green peppers for stuffing need to be blanched however to make them flexible for stuffing and to pre cook them a bit.

No luck with cucumbers in the garden lately.  It seems that the cucumber wilt is prevalent in our area.  They start out good, turn brown and die.

Fuzz, try mulching your sprouts for a wintertime fresh green experience.  Works with carrots too.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up