MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Credit card fraud attempt... if you pay Google monthly watch yourself!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Credit card fraud attempt... if you pay Google monthly watch yourself!  (Read 581 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.

I'm outside this afternoon working on a project and my business email 'Droids' me...

I'm thinking 'who is working on Easter Sunday and are they expecting me to be working too'?

It was an email from Capital One...  my business credit card.  They were asking me to review a purchase from a few minutes before at Wilson Sporting Goods.  They indicated the purchase did not fit my purchase pattern and they wanted some verification.  I immediately called and verified to the guy on the line that they had been scammed.  I told him we are in Florida and those 2 cards are both home and locked in my desk.  He immediately cancelled my card and while we were talking he indicated my card was in the process of being used again...  Uniforms and More....   not me buying at either place...  especially not on Easter Sunday.  He had me two new cards printed up while we still on the phone.  He indicated he would overnight me the cards and I said he could send them snail mail.  He thought I didn't want to pay the overnight on them so he said they paid the overnight fees for new cards in a fraud situation.  I explained again we were not home to get the cards and snail mailing them would be better in this case and that I didn't use those cards anyway.  Then I got to thinking that I do use them...   once every month.  I have to pay Google for my 'cloud' storage and they won't take a debit card...   has to be a credit card they can just draw on.  I went back through 6 statements and that is the only charge on the account...  same amount for the last 6 months...   and then today over $300 in just a few minutes!!! 

So, I'm wondering if security at Google has been breached?

I also got to wondering if just possibly my cards weren't at home where I thought they were...   maybe someone had broken in and gotten the cards.  Most of our security 'team' is here with us although the one still at home is still pretty reliable!!!

Called our neighbor that watches the house for us and they weren't home so I left a message on their machine.  Then called our son and he was down at his father in law's in Temperance but said he would drive over in a little bit and check it out. 

Anyway, our son drove his wife's Escape over which he rarely drives much less to our house.  So, the neighbor had gotten home and his wife listened to my message and she slightly misinterpreted it...  She though I said our house was being broken into.  The neighbor and his son in law are talking and his wife runs out and tells him our house is being broken into...   so they look over and sure enough there is a strange Escape in the yard and someone walking around.  The neighbor doesn't move too fast but his son in law (who has never met our son) took off on a dead run to catch the 'intruder'.   He catches up to our son and tells him to 'hold it right there'...

of course our son doesn't know this guy and our son is still not sure the house hasn't been broken into so he's not to keen on holding anything right there.  Bottom line is there was almost a bigger issue than some credit card fraud!!!!

The neighbor caught up just in time to convince them both everything was just fine and that they were both supposed to be there.

So, if anyone has the recurring Google monthly charge for Cloud storage (or I suppose any other service that bill's their credit card) you might want to take a closer look at your statement real quick.  Mine was easy for Cap One to spot...   if someone uses their card more often it might not be as easy to spot.

Then later I was going over some more of the emails from Cap One and one of them said that my March statement had been returned by the post office as 'undeliverable'...  Trevor (at Cap One) did have me verify my address a couple of times and I did explain our mail was on 'hold' at the post office and that our son was picking it up....  but of course he wouldn't realize that there was something like that missing.

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

blue2

• Hero Talker

It's nice that they have procedures in place to catch these things.  But it's a pain to get a new card when you have companies drawing on them each month.  I try not to do that but for a couple of exceptions.
One being my monthly medicare supplemental as the contract says if i miss a payment they could cancel me.  i wanted to make sure that didn't happen.
I had my VISA compromised twice so I check my bank acct and VISA every day when i sign on the computer.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Never been impressed with Capital One.  If Cabelas goes to C1, I'll cancel their card.  I don't want to deal with a towelhead call center ever
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

Never been impressed with Capital One.  If Cabelas goes to C1, I'll cancel their card.  I don't want to deal with a towelhead call center ever

Call center was right here in the Midwest...   Trevor had a half hour to work and then he was going to Easter Dinner with his family. 

This is literally the first problem of any kind I've had with this card since I got it.  It's a Sony Rewards card and someone else had and then sold or swapped to Cap One...   no issues with the other company either. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

I haven't heard another word from Cap One on this incident other than an email saying my new card was 'in the mail'...   I hope the post office doesn't return it like they did my last statement >:( >:( >:(

Seems to me it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out where these orders were being shipped and have some one 'interview' the intended receivers...   how much effort do they put into trying to catch actual perps?

I keep watching for an announcement that Google has been hacked but haven't seen anything yet...  I'll be patient!!!

Professor H

• Hero Talker

It's nice that they have procedures in place to catch these things.  But it's a pain to get a new card when you have companies drawing on them each month.  I try not to do that but for a couple of exceptions.
One being my monthly medicare supplemental as the contract says if i miss a payment they could cancel me.  i wanted to make sure that didn't happen.
I had my VISA compromised twice so I check my bank acct and VISA every day when i sign on the computer.
I get emails for unusual purchases or large purchases from Capital One as well... 

The whole reason I don't use "auto" pay is that I like the idea I know what I'm being charged for - every month... then I'll hit the electronic pay button. 

BRD - the google people will likely send you a letter in the mail in a few months offering credit monitoring...   that seems to be the response the law calls for.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

What is in my wallet?  Certainly not a Capital One card.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: [1]   Go Up