MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!  (Read 13024 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

I have a very wide monitor and these photos are still not completely showing on the right side...  be sure and go down to the problem and drag it over to view the entire photo.  In the top one the first sign we were able to read and identify is clear to the very right.  I'm thinking that was out on the 'main highway' (M-33?).  This 'event' literally stretched on for miles.  Just looking and I haven't seen a local sheriff's car anywhere...   only MSP...  maybe the locals were all there protesting?  Maybe the little blonde gal is the sheriff's daughter 8) 8) 8)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Maverick

• Hero Talker

Just the Shibui sign.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

Maverick

• Hero Talker

We had friends from Monroe that had a cabin on Mt Tom rd and we used to hunt in what we called the pothole off of Mt Tom.  Mt Tom was closed off at M-33 for the big burial so that's probably why the natives were lined up near Shibui. I go up pretty often so I might send you pics for perspective. The buildings are still there and they are still rentals.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!

Just the Shibui sign.

Perhaps you were just too "paranoid" at the time and looking straight forward?   8)
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Maverick

• Hero Talker

I think back then I didn't even realize that there could be a plant of that nature.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

For the record:  I'm going to try 'renaming' this thread to something about the PBBs poisoning Michigan...  the current name worked for what I needed to and I do want to thank excelsior and Mav both for all the info and background they supplied.  Just amazing what the 'brain trust' of MonroeTalks can do isn't it?
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »

Here are some resources I found while digging deeper...

This is a blog that's somewhat up to date on the subject...  also where I kind of borrowed the revised name for the thread from.  I won't come right out and state that the PBBs have poisoned the entire state (and beyond) but I'll sure ask the question.  The more I read and remember about all these events I have to wonder if it is somehow related to our youngest daughter's 'situation'?

http://ymaout.blogspot.com/2013/03/pbb-disaster-of-1970s-poisons-all-of.html

Here's a photo of the chemical plant in St. Louis, MI (from the above blog) which shows it's proximity to the Pine River.

Here's a 2011 (not real up to date but better than nothing) fact sheet compliments of your hard earned tax dollars.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch_PBB_FAQ_92051_7.pdf

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 03:16:46 PM »

Here's a documentary video from one of the TV stations...   I haven't watched all of it and part of one I was watching earlier had footage of the farmers shooting some of their cattle and it might be a disturbing to some...  view with caution I guess:

http://www.wzzm13.com/video/2142226630001/1/Tainted-Michigan-PBB-Documentary

This is a little museum of some sort that's in the Mio area.  They have lots of photos of the events and I was at least able to narrow the demonstrations down to a narrower time frame than I knew for sure:

1978 is the year those individuals remember spending all summer on the PBB Picket Line along M33 and Mt Tom Roads between Fairview and Mio. It was a desperate effort to keep Oscoda County clean and free from hazardous wastes.

The whole summer of 1978!  I still have no idea of the exact day we were there and now I realize it was an ongoing thing so we probably did just happen on to it.  We did got to a wedding in the Mio area about then...  If I can remember who it was getting married maybe I can figure out what day it was. 

This photo is from that website and it certainly could have been taken the same day we were there:

If I get back up in that area I'll have to stop in:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/stutesman/pbb.html

Governor Milliken doesn't look very happy...   lots and lots of accusations over the years that the state attempted a massive coverup...  "how will we ever be able to sell our meat in Europe" is one I remember...  my Dad sold his all locally so he just kind of emphasized that he didn't buy bagged food!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 03:22:20 PM »

The big demonstrations at Mio revolved around an ongoing lawsuit (I don't remember who all was involved but probably lots of people from the Mio area) wanting all the carcasses to be incinerated rather than buried.  In the long run they did win and most of the carcasses were incinerated but some were still buried in Mio and Kalkaska.  I've seen various numbers in various articles so hard to tell how many were actually buried up there in either place.  In one of my photos there is a picket sign that mentions something about safer to burn :o :o :o
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:11:04 PM by BigRedDog »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 04:35:57 PM »

I received an email from my 'lurker' friend...  I've suggested a few times that it's 'cheap and easy' to join (I'm sure The Fuzz will make some lewd comment about 'cheap and easy' now ;) ;) ;) ) but he seems to prefer to just lurk and mostly listen.  But whenever he emails me stuff it's usually pretty interesting and relevant to our discussion.

He emailed me and reminded me that Ron Howard did a movie back in the early 80s about this entire scenario...  the mixup and the 'cover-up'!!!

Bitter Harvest...   details and even 'watch it free' if you have Netflix...  our daughter does and we'll be watching it this evening!

http://www.allmovie.com/movie/bitter-harvest-v5772

Here it is on Amazon and you can watch it free there too:

http://www.amazon.com/Bitter-Harvest-Ron-Howard/dp/B002BUDWA2

My 'friend' had called Family Video in Temperance and it's $18.99 to buy!

There's also another (1963) British movie by the same name...

it looks interesting too!!!

Bitter Harvest - 1963 British film (intro)

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 05:02:26 PM »

Here are some resources I found while digging deeper...

This is a blog that's somewhat up to date on the subject...  also where I kind of borrowed the revised name for the thread from.  I won't come right out and state that the PBBs have poisoned the entire state (and beyond) but I'll sure ask the question.  The more I read and remember about all these events I have to wonder if it is somehow related to our youngest daughter's 'situation'?

http://ymaout.blogspot.com/2013/03/pbb-disaster-of-1970s-poisons-all-of.html

Here's a photo of the chemical plant in St. Louis, MI (from the above blog) which shows it's proximity to the Pine River.

Here's a 2011 (not real up to date but better than nothing) fact sheet compliments of your hard earned tax dollars.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdch_PBB_FAQ_92051_7.pdf
The governor in the picture is "Soapy" Williams.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »

Some more pictures.  Here' they're getting ready to load the lady in the ambulance that was getting attention earlier.  The same little 'blonde gal' is still standing behind her although in this picture her hair isn't near as 'blonde'...  must be the way the sun was hitting it!  The sign leaning against the car says "Be loyal to thyself, burn PBB!"  Maybe that's the one the gal that got hurt was carrying!  The one behind her says "We need help  Come on Michigan"  A lot of ambulances were the Cadillac 'hearse type' back then.  Just starting to get into the more modern 'truck based' ones we have today.  For some people the only ride they ever got in a Cadillac was in an ambulance or a hearse >:( >:( >:(

A different view of the scene as above...  somehow the little blonde gal snuck in the picture again though:

They were trying to keep the trucks hauling the carcasses from going in to where they wanted to bury them:

Hanging in effigy...   the sign the 'hangman' is holding says "Milliken is an idiot"

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »

The governor in the picture is "Soapy" Williams.

Right you are...  bow tie and all ;) ;) ;)

He must have been there as a 'former' Governor...

by then he'd been out of office for a couple of terms.

Thanks for the 'good eyes'...  I better pay closer attention when I 'borrow' someone's photos!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »

I've got some more pictures but have some other projects to work on too...

I'll add some more later!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 10:42:06 AM »

These look like the last 3 photos I took that day... 

I'm hoping some day someone can tie the pictures to a bit of a geographical relationship to each other.

I'd really like to hear from one of the protesters...  be really neat if I had their picture posted here!

Or one of the MSP Troopers.  I'm guessing most that would have been there are now retired or they're in the very upper echelon at the MSP by now.  I wonder how many 'manhours' the MSP put in at the site during that summer ??? ??? ???

This poster says "Why Poison our children and grandchildren"!  I like the gal on top of the car...  she must be the appointed 'lookout'!  I can't read the sign the man in the dark shirt is carrying...  looks like it's on grocery bags.  I hope he figured out they may be readily available but they're real had to read ;) ;) ;)

I notice there is also some 'writing' on the pavement.  Just the kids amusing themselves with sidewalk chalk or something the MSP had put down?

I've decided this must be on M-33 just as the highway turns to the east and the little road that goes straight ahead would go north to the 'burial pit' and also if you turn left up there you would be at the resort.  I'm curious what the resort had to do with all this.  One of the first photos I posted showed 4 MSP cars parked at their entrance. 

There are 3 more MSP cars at this corner.  I don't have any idea the relationship of this corner to everything else though.  There had to be at least a dozen MSP marked cars that I saw...  I'm sure there were more I missed or that were out of sight and probably a few unmarked command cars too.  We didn't observe any violence and all seemed quiet except for the one gal getting medical attention.

Some night when I can't sleep I'll get on Google streetview and try to figure out any visible landmarks.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up