MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Generac standby generator

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Generac standby generator  (Read 816 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Generac standby generator
« on: April 11, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

After the big wind storm up there we finally bit the bullet and ordered a Generac standby dual fuel automatic generator.  I have to get that installed by May 10th to qualify for the additional 5 year warranty (on top of the standard 5 years for a total of 10 years). 

I'll just hook it to the natural gas right away and get it running and then I'll figure out what to do for a 'backup to the backup' fuel supply.  I'll have to read the specs to see what I need for a propane tank. 

I see Generac offers a 'cold weather' package...  battery heater and carburetor pre heater.  Not sure if we need that in our area or not...   anyone with any first hand experience?

Another option they have is a link device that goes to your wifi and then you can link to your smartphone app and get a constant readout of engine and electric draw right on your phone.   

Anyway the generator has been delivered and is just waiting for me (maybe a little help with the gas line from our son) to get home and get it installed.

Anyone with one or that has installed one that has any suggestions please feel free to speak up.

Seems like Mav was looking for one of the pads to set them on at one time...   what did you use and how has it worked out for you?
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Generac standby generator
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »

That's a long way from the backup system a friend of mine had for his vacation house in Traverse City area.  He put a huge thermometer in the from window so a couple of neighbors down the road could see if the furnace failed..

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 09:54:35 AM »

I see Generac offers a 'cold weather' package...  battery heater and carburetor pre heater.  Not sure if we need that in our area or not...   anyone with any first hand experience?

Seems like Mav was looking for one of the pads to set them on at one time...   what did you use and how has it worked out for you?

We've had a Generac backup generator for years without a cold weather package and never had a problem with it starting up.

For a base, SC made a 4x4 box and we filled it with gravel.  Works fine.

You will like having the backup generator.  Once it's in, the power won't go out for years!
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

I just used the pad that comes with the generator. Gravel under it so it doesn't sink is wise. I have several up north and also did NOT get the cold weather kit. The one think I wish I would have thought of is putting it where the snow or ice from the roof wouldn't smash in the top !!!!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 01:52:26 PM »

Interesting...

I usually have the ads here on MT blocked but I bought a new Chromebook a few weeks ago and I haven't had a chance to find the adblocker apps for it yet.

Anyway, looked at the bottom of this page and here's the link for the add on to give you all the data to your phone.  This one is from Northern tool but it looks like it's the same as from Generac.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200604133_200604133?utm_source=google_PPC&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&mkwid=c&pcrid=98640166871&mtype=&devicetype=c&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search&gclid=CL3uxb35nNMCFVdZhgod7YIB5g

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »

We've had a Generac backup generator for years without a cold weather package and never had a problem with it starting up.

For a base, SC made a 4x4 box and we filled it with gravel.  Works fine.

You will like having the backup generator.  Once it's in, the power won't go out for years!

We've talked about getting one for years but sitting up all night watching that wind storm pushed it to the top of our priority list.  Then I was in Lowe's one day and saw the 5 year bonus on the warranty extension and that made me pull the trigger.  Lowe's has already called me to say it's in and waiting for me!!!

I just used the pad that comes with the generator. Gravel under it so it doesn't sink is wise. I have several up north and also did NOT get the cold weather kit. The one think I wish I would have thought of is putting it where the snow or ice from the roof wouldn't smash in the top !!!!

It's going right on a sand hill so won't even take too much gravel.  I will keep the snow buildup in mind when I set it up.  I don't know how long the wiring harness is so that may limit my choices.

Sounds like the 'up north' kit is for way more 'up north' than SE Michigan!  Thanks for helping me get this pre-planned out before I get started.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 08:35:43 AM »

Here's a video on switching the Generacs from natural gas over to propane.  Please note:  this is for a generator that was built as a 'dual fuel' engine.  I did see other videos that show how to 'convert' an engine from natural gas over to propane or vice versa.  I've done that with furnaces and it is not complicated.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogUGtb8U3yU

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 08:40:44 AM »

We're actually a little ahead of the curve on getting our installation started.  When we installed NG I had them install an oversized meter and we installed 2" pipe from the meter to the house so I could add anything I wanted at a later date...   this is that later date ;D ;D ;D

I found this training video online too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB7xWI2btc4

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 09:03:13 AM »

Does this feed your regular panel or do you put in a separate one and disable the panel with the feed from the street?

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »

We've had a Generac for a few years now and did not get a cold weather package. No problems.
The generator starts up and runs about 15 minutes every Saturday.

Like Cat Lady said, once you spend the money for the generator, you probably won't have a power outage for years.

Not sure what they get for the monitoring system, but you can get a Nest Thermostat and that will let you know about house temps and give you the option of changing temp settings, etc. right from your phone.

Why did you want the propane option. I can't see NG fuel going out.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 10:41:43 AM »

We've had a Generac for a few years now and did not get a cold weather package. No problems.
The generator starts up and runs about 15 minutes every Saturday.

Like Cat Lady said, once you spend the money for the generator, you probably won't have a power outage for years.

Not sure what they get for the monitoring system, but you can get a Nest Thermostat and that will let you know about house temps and give you the option of changing temp settings, etc. right from your phone.

Why did you want the propane option. I can't see NG fuel going out.

It's actually not an option but rather you can instantly switch from natural gas to propane or back by just turning a valve and making an adjustment in the operating program. 

I was just trying to cover all the bases...   natural gas should probably last for several days in most cases but no one has ever been able to tell me how long the gas companies might be able to continue the supply in a catastrophic situation.  I know I can get a pig filled with propane but not so sure MGU will keep the nat gas flowing! 

I guess it's the natural 'prepper' in me ;) ;) ;)

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »

Maybe MGU has backup generators fueled by LPG

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 08:40:15 AM »

Maybe MGU has backup generators fueled by LPG

I'm guessing they do but the question I keep looking for an answer to is "how long will they keep pressure on the system"...  hours, days, weeks....  longer?

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 10:33:29 AM »

This is probably a stupid question, but, why would NG stop flowing? Other than a leaking/broken line. Why do you say it would probably last several days. I thought it was a somewhat continuous source that would be the most dependable fuel source.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »

As long as they can keep the booster pumps fired up for their system it should last. NG doesn't just supply its own pressure, it has to be pumped to wherever its going.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up