MonroeTalks.com > Categories > BlogsMonroe.com > Ten Pin Talk

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ten Pin Talk  (Read 3863 times)

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Ten Pin Talk
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:00:27 PM »

U.S. Women’s Open August 1-6
3 August 2008, 11:37 pm

This past weekend found me and my “bowling family” on a road trip to the U.S. Women’s Open tournament in Romeoville, Illinois at the Brunswick Zone XL arena. This is the place where the best of the best women bowlers in the world gather todetermine who is number one in the world. There were American, Columbian, and Malaysian contenders. It was a fascinating weekend, and I have a lot to share. However, we just got in from the road a few hours ago. I’ll post more about these high rolling ladies tomorrow. You should see the almost two-year-old facility they built to host this prestigious event. It’s quite something and definitely something more than a bowling alley. Please check back this week for my pics and stories about the experience.

To check out updates on the tournament results as of today go to http://www.bowl.com/Check back here for more up close and personal experience on the road to the U.S. Open (and I’ve got pics too)this week…

In the meantime, it’s almost time for the 08/09 season to begin, which is hard to believe. The summer went by so fast. Speaking of summer, what bowling has everyone done during the summer months? Practice? Tournaments? My friends and I practiced a lot and had a blast in the air conditioned climate of Nortel Lanes and then Monroe Sport Center. I even tried my hand at a few Michigan Majors events at which I bowled a 300 in May at Lodge Lanes in Belleville. Summer bowling was fun. So, what else has everyone done over the past few months?

Rebecca K.

Source: Ten Pin Talk

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
History Made at the Women’s U.S. Open…
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 02:00:27 PM »

History Made at the Women’s U.S. Open…
7 August 2008, 1:12 pm

The ladies were certainly on a roll! Check out the Championship results at http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=14791&f=1

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Ten Pin Talk: Back to school, back to league, back to basics
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:00:27 PM »

Ten Pin Talk: Back to school, back to league, back to basics
19 August 2008, 4:12 pm

Summer. It’s the time to enjoy the warmth of the sun, spend time with friends grilling out, mowing lawns, getting in a few rounds of golf, maybe even go on vacationand…practice bowling.

Practice bowling?Yes, if you’re a bowler and in search of higher scores you might choose to use the off-leagueseason ofsummer to work on your bowling game. Many other bowlers find this the perfect time to compete in more tournaments. Just getting back into bowling myself after a four year hiatus, I decided to get back to the basics, educate myself on the new equipment available, shore up my arsenal of balls, and hit the lanes for some good old fashioned practice.

When I returned to the lanes in April, I thought there’s nothing to this. It’s like riding a bike, right? Sure. After pulling a hamstring and muscles I didn’t know I still had, realizing the calluses on my thumb and fingers were long since gone, andjarringtheheck out of myknee a time or two due tobad timing, I found bowling to be a little harder to get back into than I had anticipated. So, where do you start after you pick up the ball again whether it’s after a summer off or years away from the sport?

Timing. I read a few articles in Bowling This Month magazine and decided to start with analyzing the path ofmy arm swing. Afterall, my timing was off. This was clear to me after I pulled almosteverymuscle in my lower body and needed Bio Freeze, which smells like Ben Gay (very glamorous), to drag myself back to my day job. Did you know that one of the most important aspects of a bowler’s form is the arm swing?It sets the tempo for your whole game.I’ve discovered just how important a loose and relaxed swing is to a bowler’s game, which wasn’t quite apparant until I took so much time off from the sport.

Being a bowler that used to, and still sometimes, rounds mybody with my arm swing, I found a great improvement in my score when I buckled down and tried to tuck my arm swing in closer to my body. Why would someone do this? I wantedto create more leverage, which created more power, with the end result being more strikes and a much more powerful shot. One catch though, I needed to relax in order to do this, which is difficultwhen all I wanted to see was the instant gratification of a strike shot buried in the pocket anda 200 game posted on the scoreboard.

Next came the problem of forcing the shot.The lack of revs or turn my ball had was what all the guys teased me about. So, I wanted to put more on the ball. What I didn’t quite get, until this summer, was how abowler like me couldgive the ball a hand so to speak. I’m not built like those powerhouse players who plant and pull, turning the bowling ball like it’s a weightless nerf football.

What I discovered is the game of timing is all about speed, relaxing, and giving the ball time to work on its own. Forcing the ball to turn or pulling it to the spot on the lane I thought it needed to be wasn’t the answer. The minute I slowed down, rolled the ball, and gave my hand a chance to rotate naturally from behind it, the better I scored.

What types of things do you find yourself working on or struggling withto get into the swing of things for Fall leagues?

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Remote Control Bowling!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »

Remote Control Bowling!
19 August 2008, 4:24 pm

A friend of mine not named Jimm pointed out that there’s a nifty gadget out for bowling. I doubt it’s USBC sanctioned but what they hey, give it a look….

http://www.900global.com/remote_control_bowling_ball/

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
Blogger Bowling Honor Roll
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »

Blogger Bowling Honor Roll
19 August 2008, 4:43 pm

Post your scores here! This is Ten Pin Talk’s brag board.

Have you bowled an honor score, made a special split, or made your first strike? Post it here!

List your name, the date, where you were bowling (this can even be from practice sessions), andthefeat (like a high game, series, split/spare conversion etc.) and see it online here. Good luck and roll on!

Name: Rebecca Keegan

Date: 6/7/08

Where: Belleville’s Lodge Lanes at MI Majors tournament

Feat: 300 game

MonroeNews.com

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
A Split, a Legendary Bowler and some luck!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »

A Split, a Legendary Bowler and some luck!
25 September 2008, 12:29 pm

One of the most memorable stories I have about bowling was when I bowled with Pete Weber at Nortel Lanes and had a chance to actually beat the man. I was about 16 years old (Im now 34 years old) and I had to pick up a 4-7-10 split to beat him.Pete bet I couldnt do it and razzed me quite about about choking when I left the split. I was so nervous that I started my five step approach on the wrong foot, somehowended up taking six steps, slid on the wrong foot, but ended up making the split.Talk about beginners luck. It was certainly a sweet victory against him! Pete gave me a hard time about how I converted the split but was great about it overall. He signed books, posters, and napkins after the match. It was such an honor to bowl with one of the greatest PBA members in the world!

Rebecca K

Pages: [1]   Go Up