MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > Dog Stories

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog Stories  (Read 9564 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: Dog Stories
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »

Cool story!

I'm curious if he only responds in Lucas County (Toledo) or if his crew also responds to southern Monroe County at times.  Not sure how to find that info.

I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for them.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »

For the past 3 weeks our dog had been vomiting and had loose stool (diarrhea) and she was in and out of two different  vet offices five times over the course of that time. A couple of thousand dollars later, and two separate regimens of prescribed drugs, her condition did not improve, she continued losing weight and refused to eat, but she couldn't seem to drink enough water.     

We took Kendall to the vet again Thursday evening, and realized when we left there we would be making some tough decisions. Yesterday morning I told my wife what I had considered all last night, and that I believed it was time to put her down, and we did this morning. She came to us as rescue dog from Detroit, and nearly starved to death when she was found.

Kendall was eight years old Friday, and though she had some issues we made her part of our lives. We provided her with a nice home with lots of love and she in turn gave us her loyal undivided companionship.  What we don’t know is what type of environment she was raised in.

Emotions aside … I have some harsh feelings toward the some of the vets too. Some of these people have demonstrated a willingness to take advantage of people so emotionally involved with their pets by not being more blunt and frank about the prognosis.

Rather than tell people there is a serious and chance she would not recover from whatever was destroying her and there is minimal chance of full recovery they are more than happy to keep running endless amounts of tests and raking up mounting costs ... and I think that is wrong, unethical and unprofessional.... 

... To me some (not all) of the vets are motivated by cash and money rather than diagnosing and being honest frank and forthcoming in the dogs diminishing quality of life and chances of getting well. In this day and age money has so corrupted the balance between "Hippocratic Oaths," human doctors are sworn to in their "do no harm" purpose and I beginning to doubt that exist with some of these veterinarians. That to me is the greatest travesty and animals suffer greatest.

Who knows if veterinarians are even taught "Hippocratic Oathes" before leaving grad schools .... or even if they are sworn to believe their "do no harm" purpose, they certainly believe cash is best from what I witnessed, and I believe as long they treat your pet as though you were in a convenience cash in and cash out party store your pet suffers .... Just Saying!     
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:52:56 PM by whispers »

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2017, 03:03:14 PM »

I know what you were dealing with..I'm going thru that right now with a shi shu.  Everything but the vomiting..  When he started to loose weight and drank water all day I went to the Lambertville vet.  $300 later for a blood work up I found out he prob had a stroke for one thing and that his kidneys were only functioning at 35%.  Dr Taylor said he could live maybe 6 months or it could be less.  He is now starting to cut back on food.  Even when he ate the normal amount he went from 20 lbs to 12.. Unfortunately Dr Taylor just retired.  There is a husband and wife team there now but I don't know if they adopted Dr Taylor's principles..

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »

Whispers, sorry about your loss.  It's a tough call to make.  As one of my favorite vets used to say "It's the quality of life, not the quantity."  I have been fortunate to have a vet who tells me straight....and hands me the tissue box.  Knowing when to let go is part of being a responsible pet owner...a painful part.   My sympathies.
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »

It's a fine line. I hate to do it but I don't want to see the dog suffer either. 
Sorry for your loss Wispers.  I think a lot of people have been thru this a few times. 
I'm on my 7th. Only 1 died without us really knowing there was something wrong. The other we took to the vet..

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement Cat Lady and Blue, it is very tough. It doesn't seem fair in a lot of ways but then again, we knew going in they don't live forever. We were there with her touching, petting and talking to her when she went  to sleep and  this morning we found ourselves almost calling for her as we typically would but caught ourselves.

This evening we went out for a community play and relaxed with friends but, we still feel a bit stunned, and still feeling a little dazed by all this. It was so sudden.

Last night I confessed to my wife I found myself looking at a few adopt a pet websites and she did as well. In all frankness though, I told her I guess I wanted to see if there was another Kendall look-a-like out there that needed a good home ...  but in reality I know we're just not ready for another one right now.

Today was a better day than yesterday and tomorrow always gets a little easier still.   

Newport-Bill

• Super Talker
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2017, 09:35:43 AM »

We put our dog to sleep over 15 years ago and even now there isn't a day I don't miss her.  When no one wanted to go with me for a walk around the property summer or winter, she always went.  When I went up to the cabin for a weekend and no one else wanted to go, she always went.  She was a constant companion other than while at work for 13 years.  So I know exactly what you are going through and I am sorry for your loss.

I have toyed with adopting another but I just can't make that step but there is one thing that may help with the grief.  If I asked you do you want your loved one to go to heaven I am sure 99% of people would say yes - can't say 100% because some folks don't believe in heaven.  And to go to heaven it means you need to die.  So death is part of the deal we have to take as the bad with the good.  And as the Disney movie tells us "All dogs go to heaven."

Kendall will always be with you in your heart.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »

Thanks for the kind words Bill, so true ... I believe when we go these friends will be there waiting to follows us around and happy to reunite once again.

I still a lot of snow in the back yard, I see either very red blood colored urine or diarrhea, I can't say which. I used to always walk around the back yard shoveling up her stool every week, sometimes more often than that to keep the yard clean. Now I have to wait for the thaw and melt to clean up.

This dog was always fed "Rachel Rae" organic dry food. Seems to me her symptoms such as diarrhea weren't pronounced until I inadvertently serve her some "Rachel Rae" venison lamb dry food in November, and about the same time I had Terminex come out and lay down some bait traps for mice in mid-December.

Both the vet and Terminex agree the poison for mice would not harm pets. They say its so minimal it would pass through their system in a week, if they came in contact with it. I simply don't know, but Terminex had called Friday pleading no responsibility and asking what they could to "make things better" and to be frank about it, we were in no mood for it Friday. 

Let me preface this by saying, we are not dirty people. We have newer home first owners about 16 years ago. We had an attached garage with a vast wide open Detroit Edison type easement in the back alley. Everyone always get some field mice in the fall and throughout warmer months getting into the garage. For that, I place down four bait traps partially concealed.

Kendall was never allowed in the garage. We have a completely fenced backyard. I have two bait traps in the basement but I have a seep seven foot walls and she cannot reach them and rarely ever went down in the basement. On occasion I would scoop a dead mouse from the garage when I found them.   

Then of all this vomiting and diarrhea occurred. It was horrible to witness and we felt helpless to stop it. We tried canned food, cooked chicken breast, ground beef and rice and nothing ... no amount of visits to the vet was helping this dog, in the meanwhile her weight dropped from 50 pounds down to 36 ...

I asked the vet if whatever she had is contagious to other pets and he told me not unless the other dogs eat the stool ...
When ever my daughters dog came over Kendall and Piper were inseparable, both kindred spirits of destiny as they were both unwanted rescue dogs. 

I don't want Piper to come over here and get whatever Kendall caught. So I'm wondering if anyone might have any ideas on that? Once we have a thaw and the snow melts, and I clean up whatever stool is there to scoop up, is there anything I put down to cleanse the area?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:03:09 PM by whispers »

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2017, 08:50:12 AM »

You may want to look up Virkons.
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2017, 12:20:50 PM »

A young man named Donald bought a dog from a farmer for $250.The farmer
agreed to deliver the dog the next day.

The next day, the farmer drove up to Donald's house and said, “Sorry son,
but I have some bad news… the dog died.”

Donald replied, “Well, then just give me my money back.” The farmer said,
“Can’t do that. I went and spent it already.”

Donald said, “Ok, then, just bring me the dead dog.”

The farmer asked, “What ya gonna do with him?” Donald said, “I’m going to
raffle him off.”

The farmer said, “You can’t raffle off a dead dog!” Donald said, “Sure I
can… Watch me… I just won’t tell anybody he’s dead.”

A month later, the farmer met up with Donald and asked, “What happened with
that dead dog?” Donald said, “I raffled him off”.“I sold 500 tickets at $5 a
piece and made a profit of $2495.” The farmer said, “Didn’t anyone
complain?”

Donald said, “Just the guy who won. So I gave him his $5 back.”

Donald has now moved into the White House.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2017, 05:00:42 PM »

No issue with me.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2017, 05:49:08 PM »

Well good......I was worried you might and was afraid to post it.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2017, 10:12:25 PM »

Never seemed to impede your posting in the past..... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2017, 07:42:10 AM »

Nope, that's the way it should be!   ;)

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2017, 04:11:37 PM »

For all you Roomba owners....Not Me!

Haslemere Rants
Like This Page · March 25 · Edited ·

So, last week, something pretty tragic happened in our household. It's taken me until now to wrap my head around it and find the words to describe the horror. It started off simple enough - something that's probably happened to most of you.

Sometime between midnight and 1:30am, our puppy Evie pooped on our rug in the living room. This is the only time she's done this, so it's probably just because we forgot to let her out before we went to bed that night. Now, if you have a detective's mind, you may be wondering how we know the poop occurred between midnight and 1:30am. We were asleep, so how do I know that time frame?

Why, friends, that's because our Roomba runs at 1:30am every night, while we sleep. And it found the poop. And so begins the Pooptastrophe. The poohpocalypse. The pooppening.

If you have a Roomba, please rid yourself of all distractions and absorb everything I'm about to tell you.

Do not, under any circumstances, let your Roomba run over dog poop. If the unthinkable does happen, and your Roomba runs over dog poop, stop it immediately and do not let it continue the cleaning cycle. Because if that happens, it will spread the dog poop over every conceivable surface within its reach, resulting in a home that closely resembles a Jackson Pollock poop painting.

It will be on your floorboards. It will be on your furniture legs. It will be on your carpets. It will be on your rugs. It will be on your kids' toy boxes. If it's near the floor, it will have poop on it. Those awesome wheels, which have a checkered surface for better traction, left 25-foot poop trails all over the house. Our lovable Roomba, who gets a careful cleaning every night, looked like it had been mudding. Yes, mudding - like what you do with a Jeep on a pipeline road. But in poop.

Then, when your four-year-old gets up at 3am to crawl into your bed, you'll wonder why he smells like dog poop. And you'll walk into the living room. And you'll wonder why the floor feels slightly gritty. And you'll see a brown-encrusted, vaguely Roomba-shaped thing sitting in the middle of the floor with a glowing green light, like everything's okay. Like it's proud of itself. You were still half-asleep until this point, but now you wake up pretty damn quickly.

And then the horror. Oh the horror.

So, first you clean the child. You scrub the poop off his feet and put him back in bed. But you don't bother cleaning your own feet, because you know what's coming. It's inevitable, and it's coming at you like a freight train. Some folks would shrug their shoulders and get back in bed to deal with it in the morning. But you're not one of those people - you can't go to sleep with that war zone of poop in the living room.

So you clean the Roomba. You toss it in the bathtub to let it soak. You pull it apart, piece-by-piece, wondering at what point you became an adult and assumed responsibility for 3:30am-Roomba-disassembly-poop-cleanups. By this point, the poop isn't just on your hands - it's smeared up to your elbows. You already heard the Roomba make that "whirlllllllllllllllll-boop-hisssssssss" noise that sounds like electronics dying, and you realize you forgot to pull the battery before getting it wet.

Oh, and you're not just using profanity - you're inventing new types of profanity. You're saying things that would make Satan shudder in revulsion. You hope your kid stayed in bed, because if he hears you talking like this, there's no way he's not ending up in prison.

Then you get out the carpet shampooer. When you push it up to the rug - the rug that started it all - the shampooer just laughs at you. Because that rug is going in the trash, folks. But you shampoo it anyway, because your wife loved that damn rug, and you know she'll ask if you tried to clean it first.

Then you get out the paper towel rolls, idly wondering if you should invest in paper towel stock, and you blow through three or four rolls wiping up poop. Then you get the spray bottle with bleach water and hose down the floor boards to let them soak, because the poop has already dried. Then out comes the steam mop, and you take care of those 25-ft poop trails.

And then, because it's 6am, you go to bed. Let's finish this tomorrow, right?

The next day, you finish taking the Roomba apart, scraping out all the tiny flecks of poop, and after watching a few Youtube instructional videos, you remove the motherboard to wash it with a toothbrush. Then you bake it in the oven to dry. You put it all back together, and of course it doesn't work. Because you heard the "whirlllllllllllllll-boop-hissssssss" noise when it died its poopy death in the bathtub. But you hoped that maybe the Roomba gods would have mercy on you.

But there's a light at the end of the tunnel. After spending a week researching how to fix this damn £350 Roomba without spending £350 again - including refurb units, new motherboards, and new batteries - you finally decide to call the place where you bought it. That place called Hammacher Schlemmer. They have a funny name, but they have an awesome warranty. They claim it's for life, and it's for any reason.

So I called them and told the truth. My Roomba found dog poop and almost precipitated World War III.

And you know what they did? They offered to replace it. Yes, folks. They are replacing the Roomba that ran over dog poop and then died a poopy, watery death in the bathtub - by no fault of their own, of course.

So, mad props to Hammacher Schlemmer. If you're buying anything expensive, and they sell it, I recommend buying it from them. And remember - don't let your Roomba run over dog poop...

Credit to : Jesse Newton — with Carson Allen, Kostyantin Rogozin, Suzanne Thiedeman and 36 others.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up