MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: October 16, 2018, 11:01:26 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by blue2
I have a lot of peppers yet so I’ve been covering the garden. Still need to dehydrate the hot ones.

on: October 16, 2018, 08:23:53 PM 
Started by ytrewq - Last post by SidecarFlip
Those are 'houses' they just wiggle when people are at one end...lol  'If this trailer is a rock'in, don't come a knock'in'

on: October 16, 2018, 08:21:28 PM 
Started by ytrewq - Last post by SidecarFlip
I don't see the new company supporting anything actually.  I wonder how buggered up the banking end will be.  I have a commercial account with MB&T.

Way beck when in Cleveland, I remember Cleveland Trust Corp going exactly the way MB&T is going.  They don't even exist today.,

I think Chaffin or whatever his name is, is FOS.  I think a lot of people are going to get hurt financially and job wise.

on: October 16, 2018, 08:16:21 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by SidecarFlip
Don't worry, it won't tomorrow.  I went and plucked all the green peppers I could.  We had a very heavy frost last night.  I'll give it about a week and I'll start picking brussels sprouts.  The vines are loaded.

on: October 16, 2018, 07:58:36 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by Professor H
I left New Orleans and come home to this chilly weather!   forgot to pack a jacket even, cause when I left it was still nice here. 

I have wild mums blooming - and the rest of my fall and late summer stuff looks good even after the frost..   

on: October 16, 2018, 07:54:23 PM 
Started by ytrewq - Last post by Professor H
So it was a good buy at 9...   didn't think a takeover would happen - just thought after the dumping of all their foreclosures - it had to be better positioned.     I didn't get in when it bottomed out - but then again I know people who had it at much higher...  ouch! 

The downtown facility is very nice - Don't see the new company supporting the fair and all as no one will recognize the new name...   

on: October 16, 2018, 07:50:03 PM 
Started by ytrewq - Last post by Professor H
Frenchtown killed the Custer airport expansion   
Yet let Telegraph overbuild without creating any access roads.   

And people wonder why developers complain about "regulations" killing things... 

we'll be lucky if they ever decide to do Fermi III  - job wise

Nike base acreage will sit abandoned and collect more trash it seems...
and what "houses" isn't that area full of Trailer parks? 

on: October 16, 2018, 07:45:21 PM 
Started by Monroe Native - Last post by Professor H
Just got back from SEC land...  LSU  (New Orleans)   it was funny watching all the Bulldogs puffed up all week - and the razzing they took as they got their butts whipped...   

Only good news is that one of them could potentially do it to Bama  but not likely -   
It would be funny to see the year the SEC is left out but Pac 10 and Big 12 look that way this year with ND in...

As far as Sparty -  I don't see Lewerke beating the D and we finally saw the gloves off on the offense! 

on: October 16, 2018, 12:24:35 PM 
Started by John Kopke - Last post by SidecarFlip
Most of the politicians doing nothing about the current financial situation will be dead before the bottom falls out.

Fair statement.  Why should they care anyway.  They have cush to death...

I see Stormy Daniels lost in court and has to pay Trump's legal fees.  How nice. and....

Liz Warren is like 1/259th percent American Indian.  Another patent liar.

The beat goes on...

on: October 16, 2018, 12:11:12 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by BigRedDog
I've posted about this before in the 'neighbors' thread but it's time it had it's own thread.

Prior info:  http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=30714.msg731544#msg731544

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=30714.msg744623#msg744623

We spent a few days over at Lake Hudson last week and made a slight detour (actually two of them) on the way home.  We went to the middle of nowhere to the actual site of the crash.  The roads aren't too great in 2018 so I can only imagine what they must have been like in 1901.  Even an emergency response must have taken several hours. 

Unfortunately there is no marker or memorial of any type at the actual location of the crash.  Maybe the property owner doesn't want a lot of traffic and for sure the road isn't wide enough much traffic. 

I wanted to take a photo of the scene but decided to do a 180 degree panorama to show the general location and to make sure I got the actual crash site in the photo. 

I was out taking pictures and a gentleman pulled down the road behind us in a Jeep.  I knew he had enough room to squeeze by but he stopped and got out.  I though he was maybe going to challenge me for taking pictures.  He was a neighbor and familiar with the crash.  He told me that they used the old midwest foursquare farmhouse at the right of the photo for an emergency hospital to treat the relatively few people that survived the crash. 

One day I'll take our son and a couple of his drones and we'll do some aerial photos and videos of the actual site.  At this point there is no way to reach it without trespassing on either farm property or the railroad itself.  I'd rather deal with a mad farmer than the Norfolk Southern Railroad Police!

The crash site is somewhere near the center of my photo along the railroad grade (obviously).

The 2nd detour involved heading back Northeast to Adrian to the Oakwood Cemetery which is where the burial site and memorial to those who died in the crash is located.  The cemetery is huge and the streets are not real wide.  We were hauling the camper and although I could have navigated ok I may have had to force someone off the road going the other way.  Plus we didn't know exactly where the memorial is so we headed on home.

We did stop and have our lunch at the old Wabash railroad terminal in Adrian. 

I'll post more on this again.  We're planning a trip to go take pictures of the memorial.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10