on: Today at 06:45:45 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by CatLady
chow

on: Today at 05:48:47 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by Monroe Native
puppy

on: Today at 05:45:47 PM 
Started by Chips - Last post by Monroe Native
Monroe is going down the toilet, and the Battlefield is just the thing to distract the City Administration from realizing how truly screwed they are.

I've talked more to my neighbors in the country in the last 6 months then I did in the city for the last 5 years.

I don't think I could stomach moving back into a city.

on: Today at 03:25:08 PM 
Started by Chips - Last post by blue2
I know people that live in Toledo and don't know anyone that lives near them.  I don't live in the boonies but it's a deadend street off a main road.  I've had dogs and walked them every day.  I know everyone on the street and talk to most of them pretty often.  More so in the summer of course..

on: Today at 12:41:34 PM 
Started by Chips - Last post by SidecarFlip
Funny that people are just now noticing that Monroe has been struggling 15 years after the Ford plant shutdown.  It’s been going on for a very long time so congrats for catching up.  This same phenomena happens with the stock market. 

Some good things are actually starting to happen though.  The plans for the National Battlefield Park are really nice and will help the east side, reduce blight, create some nice walking paths (think connectivity) and add green space which draws people to cities.  Not everyone wants to live out in the boonies of Monroe County, stranded on your 5 acre property on 60 mph dirt road.  Wow, that’s freedom.  It’s nice to be able to walk or bike somewhere, to a park, to a friends house, to get some ice cream. That’s what a small town is about.

Tearing down the old homes is exactly what they should be doing.  If not, some wanna be slum lords will just continue to buy them cheap, rent them out to people who could give a crap less about the properties all while doing just enough repairs to avoid getting fined by the city.  At some point, they become worthless.  The key is getting more home OWNERS with skin in the game and less renters.

A lot of what plagues the city has also hurt the entire Midwest.  Globalization and exporting of blue collar jobs left communities with high school level educations with nothing to do.  The parents that worked the blue collar jobs that have left the city no doubt did not guide their kids to college because, hell, they never went to oollege. Now those kids are milling around popping pills....like rest of the country.

Monroe can have a come back though.  It’s on a Great Lake and has a major river running right through it.  Those natural resources are priceless and can’t be duplicated elsewhere.  Getting rid of the dam(s) to let the wild fish spawn is great.  Think fly fishing if you don’t sit in front of the big glowing talking box.  Having lived in the big city for 26 years (spouse’s family is from Monroe), the traffic is brutal, it’s one big faceless bedroom community after another and is still very dependent on a tenuous auto industry.

First off, a bit more than 5 acres and secondly, never stranded.  I walk my dog every day out here in the boonies.  It's amazing the going down the road and seeing neighbors, everyone is socialble and people in cars slow down and yield to me and the dog and always wave.  Country people are different than city people.  Different in a good way.  I'd go wacky living in an urban enviroment.  I grew up in Cleveland in the city.  never been back and don't want to.  Urban living I detest.

on: Today at 07:09:23 AM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by FritzTheKat
sick

on: January 16, 2019, 11:28:06 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by Maverick
tired

on: January 16, 2019, 08:18:03 PM 
Started by SidecarFlip - Last post by SidecarFlip
The Monroe Evening News finally decided to report something.

https://www.monroenews.com/news/20190116/follow-up-taepke-appointed-as-london-supervisor

I expected them to be a day late but then it was in the Blade today as well.  Must have gotten on the AP wire somehow.  Live is a star now...lol

on: January 16, 2019, 08:16:06 PM 
Started by SidecarFlip - Last post by SidecarFlip
Clerks seem to thing THEY run the township.  A couple of years ago a local business guy in Bedford wanted a liquor license that became avail. The clerk told him there wasn't one but he knew there was from his State contacts..When the business guy went to the township supervisor they found out the clerk was holding it...Probably for a friend..

The only difference between Clerk and Jerk are 2 letters...lol  We also have a jerk clerk in this township.

on: January 16, 2019, 07:50:13 PM 
Started by TK9317 - Last post by FritzTheKat
rundown

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10