MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Businesses Closings

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 66   Go Down

Author Topic: Businesses Closings  (Read 87476 times)

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
Re: Businesses Closings
« Reply #915 on: January 02, 2018, 09:34:01 AM »

There's 3 of the remaining retailers from the mall on that list.   GNC, Claires, and Bon Ton-parent of Carsons.   Well more than 1/2 the remaining occupied square footage I would guess.   Down to 23 actual stores listed on the directory page once you filter out the unmanned kiosks, security, community room, etc.   

I don't believe the original guy from the outlet mall purchased passed away, I believe he just left the company.   He was the tie to the area having grown up here with family still in the area.   The company mostly operates in the Atlanta area.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:19:57 AM by ytrewq »

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #916 on: January 02, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »

According to Facebook chatter, last remaining clothing store besides Carsons is closing in the next several days.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #917 on: January 02, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »

According to Facebook chatter, last remaining clothing store besides Carsons is closing in the next several days.

One thing that is on the increase at the mall are the vending/gaming machines.  I guess if you  don't have to pay someone to staff a site it makes it affordable to operate.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #918 on: January 05, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »

There's 3 of the remaining retailers from the mall on that list.   GNC, Claires, and Bon Ton-parent of Carsons.   Well more than 1/2 the remaining occupied square footage I would guess.   Down to 23 actual stores listed on the directory page once you filter out the unmanned kiosks, security, community room, etc.   

I don't believe the original guy from the outlet mall purchased passed away, I believe he just left the company.   He was the tie to the area having grown up here with family still in the area.   The company mostly operates in the Atlanta area.
They company that the guy worked for no longer employed him - after that "investment" decision.

the original "owner" who did die - is the one that got the property out of the lease from the township (the golf course) as they then saw the vision/dream not get followed through...   the investment company from Atlanta then bought it on the idea that Promedica was looking for a new site - but they gambled and lost...    Wrong golf course.

The young girl/teen store at the Mall is closing -  Justice...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #919 on: January 05, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »

The golf course that the investment company bought along with the large parking lot across the street  ;)  is on its 3rd manager in 3 years.   Can't imagine it will survive much longer - besides bad location that many courses can get around - it is not well maintained.  The only people I know who played it - played it cause it was cheap to play - and there was a reason it was.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #920 on: January 05, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »

the original "owner" who did die - is the one that got the property out of the lease from the township (the golf course) as they then saw the vision/dream not get followed through...

Sorry, thought you were referring to the guy who was supposedly spearheading the outlet mall makeover, Chris Harter.  Don't know anything about the GC's history, at least until his company (at the time) bought it.

A hospital there would have been problematic due to the powerlines as well.   Especially for the helicopters.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #921 on: January 09, 2018, 08:44:46 AM »

Walked by the Justice store yesterday.  Their 'Clearance Event' is paying dividends...  They have what stock is left spread out on a few stands up the middle of the store and lots of shelving disassembled and stacked neatly in the back corner of the display area. 

An observation on the former Olga's in the mall.  I was looking in there yesterday too.  All the tables are still in place and the chairs are all turned upside down and stacked neatly.  Looks like someone could walk in there and open up tomorrow. 

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #922 on: January 09, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »

It'll probably still look like that when the demolition crews come.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #923 on: January 12, 2018, 02:59:56 PM »

Multiple news sources are reporting that Carson's parent company will likely file bankruptcy in the next couple weeks.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #924 on: January 12, 2018, 10:37:04 PM »

Medium size retailers are taking a helluva hit from the Internet and big retailers like Walmart.  Anymore, if I want something, I buy it on the net.  So much easier
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #925 on: January 13, 2018, 08:08:40 AM »

Medium size retailers are taking a helluva hit from the Internet and big retailers like Walmart.  Anymore, if I want something, I buy it on the net.  So much easier

+1.

Better prices, get exactly what I want, shows up to the house a few days later.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #926 on: January 14, 2018, 08:24:42 AM »

More importantly you can get it.   Locally, people are always willing to order something for you but you have to pay now, more than if you bought online, wait a week, then come back to pick it up, probably before 6PM because they don't do evenings.   Or you can stay home, order online and have it in a couple days to your home.   The excuse for the extra cost is always "service".   Well that's not service and if you don't stock it, you probably don't know much about it either.   

That said, everyone is blaming "online" but the real reason for the retail crash is overbuilding and venture capital.   Sure online is taking business, but not at the rate many of these well know retailers would like you to believe.   Venture capital firms bought up a ton of high flying retailers, including many that closed in Monroe, opened a million new location, saddled them with debt, took the cash and walked away.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #927 on: January 14, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »

Oddly enough - when I do shop local - I usually go to a local merchant.

Jones for Men and Peerless come to mind.

Big Box stores?  Not so much - outside of home improvement items.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #928 on: January 14, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »

Jones for Men rocks.....I patronize them for all my dress clothes.

What is Peerless?
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #929 on: January 14, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »

Jones for Men rocks.....I patronize them for all my dress clothes.

What is Peerless?

I assume he means Peerless Plumbing Supply on the east side of Telegraph just south of 7th Street.

http://www.peerlesssupply.net/
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 66   Go Up