MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > Dog Stories

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Dog Stories  (Read 13615 times)

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
Re: Dog Stories
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »

My condolences, Tiny.   She sounds a lot like our very active greeter, a rat terrier (we were told she was a fox terrier when we got her  :o ). 

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 10:24:28 PM »

My condolences, Tiny.   She sounds a lot like our very active greeter, a rat terrier (we were told she was a fox terrier when we got her  :o ). 

Thanks Skit, we had a Rat Terrier before this dog she lived 17 years and was always very active. Both of ours seemed to have an attitude that they would be trained on their terms only. We could train them but it took a lot of time. They had a short attention span.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 10:28:08 PM »

I always heard good things about Jack Russels.

Energetic, Stubborn, Smart.

My kind of dog.

If I ever decide to downsize - I think I'm going to try one.

Great dogs, sometimes too smart for their own good and very good watch dogs. She would never relax when a stranger was around, always on duty.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 10:46:17 PM »

I've know two people with Jacks.  Neither one bothered to train or discipline them. I can't wait to leave their houses

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2015, 03:49:24 AM »

Agree on the Jacks, but terriers are terriers. Just like a German Shepard, and most especially a Belgian Malinois :'(  will always be a working and herding dog. A Lab will always want to play and get wet. Realize that they will always be what they are inside themselves. They are not snakes. They shed their coats, but not their skins. Maybe like us, huh?  ???

Look into Boston Terriers. My Ex kinda inherited the father/son team of them. And like my link says, both of them have different personalities.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/bostonterriers.html

« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:58:28 AM by arpydave »
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 12:09:40 AM »

Thanks Skit, we had a Rat Terrier before this dog she lived 17 years and was always very active. Both of ours seemed to have an attitude that they would be trained on their terms only. We could train them but it took a lot of time. They had a short attention span.

Ours seems to learn most things pretty quickly, but if a "hunting" opportunity happens to catch her attention, nothing will distract her.   We had to fence off part of the property so she didn't catch all the birds, and rabbits or squirrels are definitely on her radar.   She caught a vole once.    She loves to play catch and is the most athletic dog I have ever had.   Toss her a treat and it will rarely hit the floor.  If we won't play with her when she wants, she will get a toy and toss it up in the air, chase it around, and pounce on it.... as though she has live prey, I suppose.  I wish I had the time and energy to take her for agility training, I thnk she would do well and would enjoy it.   

The terrier is definitely on the opposite end of energy from our beagle/chihuahua mix... laid back critter, that one.   

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 12:18:06 AM »

Ours seems to learn most things pretty quickly, but if a "hunting" opportunity happens to catch her attention, nothing will distract her.   We had to fence off part of the property so she didn't catch all the birds, and rabbits or squirrels are definitely on her radar.   She caught a vole once.    She loves to play catch and is the most athletic dog I have ever had.   Toss her a treat and it will rarely hit the floor.  If we won't play with her when she wants, she will get a toy and toss it up in the air, chase it around, and pounce on it.... as though she has live prey, I suppose.  I wish I had the time and energy to take her for agility training, I thnk she would do well and would enjoy it.   

The terrier is definitely on the opposite end of energy from our beagle/chihuahua mix... laid back critter, that one.   

I agree. We always had to put ours on a leash when she went out or she was gone in seconds. If she wanted to play and we didn't pay attention to her she would pick up her toy and rub it in your face till you played with her. Would not be ignored. She loved to roll the cat and stand over it like it just pinned it in a wrestling match. The cat would give up and wrap it's paws around the dog until she left. She had lots of energy.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2015, 12:33:03 AM »

Boy Skit, did you hit it on the head with your description and your pup's personalities.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2015, 06:15:49 AM »

I thought about teaching our big red dog to do the 'dock diving' thing when she was younger.  She would have been easy to teach because she loves the water (except a bath...  go figure) and she would chase after everything you threw.  We were working on a project out by the barn one day and I had cut the end off a 2x6...   maybe 30" long...   and tossed it off to the side in case I needed it later.  I turned around to make another cut and about that time I got blind sided right in the back of the knees...   she had 'returned' the board to me!!! 

Anyway, she would have been easy to teach I think but I knew she wasn't going to be setting any records either.  She was built just a little too heavy for that sport. 

We had a dog we home sheltered for Planned Pethood from Toledo that I'll bet could have been a record setter back then if there had been any way to funnel his energy.  He was gorgeous to watch running across a field where he could really pour it on.  He looked like he had some greyhound in him.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5z7BinjoF8
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2015, 08:15:44 AM »

As I've stated, I'm having issues doing embedding videos. But check this video out. All dogs are rescues. And the Belgian at the opening and then later open old ...wounds.

https://youtu.be/nHlJODYBLKs

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »

As I've stated, I'm having issues doing embedding videos. But check this video out. All dogs are rescues. And the Belgian at the opening and then later open old ...wounds.

Maybe Frenchfry can jump in and comment more or explain the reason 'why' but I have noticed that the videos with the link formed as a "youtu.be/" can't be embedded directly...

but if you open them and start and then click on that link you should get something that starts with "https://www.youtube.com/"...

Now, if you copy and paste that link you're still not done...   you have to remove the leading "https://" and then the video will embed without you having to insert any code or anything. 

I'm not sure of the 'why' on removing the https...   Ff explained it once but it was over my head but I do know it has to be done or just paste the link and let people watch it outside of here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfBdMXhpQnU&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the link to the John Prine video...    I've got some more of his stuff playing and I'll post a couple over in the 'what song is stuck in your head' thread!!!
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2015, 10:45:30 AM »

Great video.   If you also watch the out-takes version of it you can see that it took a lot of work to get it right.   The little black and white terrier is a lot like our little one.   Her little stubby tail goes so fast when she is happy. 

Tiny, you have made me appreciate our girl even more than I realized.   If she wants attention, she will put a tiny paw on your cheek until you talk to her, then grabs a toy or ball and you cannot refuse to play.   I was getting frustrated that sometimes she would walk nicely to get in the car, but if she saw a squirrel in the back yard she was off like a shot and out at the far corner jumping up the tree... one day she just might climb it...?  We now put the leash on her just to get in and out of the car, to save my sanity.   I think I will give up trying to go leash-less.   I have appreciated your comments and how much she sounds like your beloved pup.  Thanks for sharing.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »

Hope I'm getting this right, but Fry said if you remove the "s" out of the https;//" it will post.  I've tried it before and it worked for me.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »

Thanks Fuzz and BRD for the hints and tips. I'll be trying them out.

Glad you enjoyed the link Skit. Yup the outtakes show the work involved. And if you see some of their other video's you can tell they put a lot effort into them. Great producer/director/videographer.

And +2 karma in advance to Fry to sharing this info to others.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2015, 12:00:11 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up