MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Chemical odor investigation east of Temperance possibly pipe line leak!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Chemical odor investigation east of Temperance possibly pipe line leak!  (Read 3362 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Here are news releases from the MonroeNews

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20171220/temperance-road-closed-for-chemical-spill-investigation

An odor of gas was reported about 3:45 p.m. today; firefighters are in the area while authorities try to trace the cause.

BEDFORD TOWNSHIP - Temperance Road between Lewis and Crabb Roads was closed off to traffic for a few hours today while authorities investigated what appears to be a chemical or fuel spill.

Bedford Township Fire Department was sent to the scene, as was Monroe County Emergency Management Division. The Environmental Protection Agency was notified as well, Bedford Township Fire Chief Adam Massingill said.

The difficulty in determining what chemical was involved is because there are “quite a few underground pipelines here,” Massingill said.

But as of 8 p.m., he added, there was no need for evacuations even though the road was closed to traffic. The situation was contained and firefighters were in the area to monitor the situation. In the meantime, Massingill said, efforts were in progress to notify companies that have pipelines in the area.

Ann Arbor Railroad Co. also was notified of the spill because of the location’s proximity to a railroad track.

and 13ABC. 

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Spill-Investigation-Underway-465554413.html

Toledo (13abc) An investigation is underway in Bedford Township to find the source of a spill of an unknown substance. Emergency workers say the substance presents no immediate danger, but it is leaving a sheen on standing water in the area.

While no evacuations have been ordered, the Monroe County Emergency Management Agency and the Monroe County Sheriff's Office are asking people to avoid the area. Temperance Road is closed between Crabb Road and Lewis Avenue.

Authorities are checking with local pipeline operators to see if they can find the source of the substance.

I cut and pasted the current articles because sometimes they make updates and it changes the whole perspective of who knew what 'when'!

There's a map on the News site and a photo of a Bedford FD truck blocking Temperance road at the old elevator.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Chemical odor investigation east of Temperance possibly pipe line leak!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »

Sounds like in addition to an unidentified odor there is a sheen on some standing water at some point in the area.  Lots of talk about a possible pipeline leak.  That is the Ann Arbor Railroad and the tracks run NW to Ann Arbor.  There are 'multiple' pipelines that run parallel to the railroad ROW so any of those would be a potential source.

Seems like it also could have been a possible rail tank leak as the train moved along the tracks.  If so there could be product spilled along the tracks for miles!

I heard at least one of Bedford's trucks leaving the scene right at midnight.  No information other than they were clearing the scene. 

I checked for more info on other news sources and nothing yet.  If anyone hears or sees anything please feel free to post the info!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »

Lots of pipelines in that area.  Wonder how many Enbridge owns?
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »

Lots of pipelines in that area.  Wonder how many Enbridge owns?

I've stopped and read all the markers along the AA railroad tracks and don't recall seeing anything with Enbridge on them.  When we were over around Kalamazoo a couple of weeks ago we crossed their pipeline several times including right along where they are still busy replacing topsoil at the site of the big leak!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
A couple of resources for identifying pipelines in Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 11:46:03 AM »

This is a .pdf file of a map of the lower peninsula which shows the general location of where the pipelines run although it does't get down close enough to identify actual locations.

http://www.swmgsierra.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/MIOilGasPipeLineMap.pdf

This one is a viewer for the entire country.  Put in your state of interest and county of interest and it gets right down pretty close!  Unfortunately it does't identify the owners or operators of the pipeline, only the location!

https://pvnpms.phmsa.dot.gov/PublicViewer/

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »

Just on the 13ABC Toledo noon news.

There are currently recovery teams working to recover some type of a refined petroleum product although they're still not sure of the source. 

I'm sure they'll find a source so they know who to bill for the recovery!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 10:41:34 PM »

Just on the 13ABC Toledo noon news.

There are currently recovery teams working to recover some type of a refined petroleum product although they're still not sure of the source. 

I'm sure they'll find a source so they know who to bill for the recovery!!!

I wonder if the old mill had an underground tank, I know they sold fuel there, at least heating oil.  I remember seeing a straight tank truck there when it was in business.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 09:23:41 AM »

I wonder if the old mill had an underground tank, I know they sold fuel there, at least heating oil.  I remember seeing a straight tank truck there when it was in business.

Probably been multiple old tanks there over the years...   it's a very old building! 

I'm not hearing much on the scanner so that means they're either not finding anything in a large volume or whatever they're finding isn't really hazardous. 

Could have been someone with an old bucket of something that just walked down to that ditch and dumped it and took the old bucket home and put it in the dumpster.

So many possibilities.

After this long it most likely isn't a leaking pipeline or they're keeping that quiet. 

The public is frequently the last to know :( :( :(

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »

First to 'feel' the impact, last to know the 'cure'.  You could very well be right about the bucket of something dumped in the ditch...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 08:38:31 AM »

I haven't seen or heard anything more about this :-\ :-\ :-\

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »

Probably some 'enviromentally correct' citizen dumped their drain oil in the ditch....

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 04:34:58 PM »

Probably some 'enviromentally correct' citizen dumped their drain oil in the ditch....

That is a great way to keep the weeds down.

It also keeps the dust down on roads.

Great stuff - that drain oil.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 05:38:56 PM »

We were out and about (had to go get some lottery tickets) so went down to Temperance to see what we could see.  No sign of any recovery operation anywhere that I could see.  You could tell that they'd been driving on the pipeline right of ways but nothing looked fresh since the snow last night. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 10:45:29 PM »

That is a great way to keep the weeds down.

It also keeps the dust down on roads.

Great stuff - that drain oil.

In the summer, keeps the skeeters from hatching on the water too.  Drain oil has many uses, especially the dirty nasty stuff... ;D

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 10:50:20 PM »

In the summer, keeps the skeeters from hatching on the water too.  Drain oil has many uses, especially the dirty nasty stuff... ;D

I didn't even think of that very useful use!

Drain oil prevents malaria!  Drain oil prevents the Zika virus!

Drain oil can save lives!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up