MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Businesses Closings

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]   Go Down

Author Topic: Businesses Closings  (Read 66640 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Businesses Closings
« Reply #825 on: July 08, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »

I guess I'll have to find a new source for the string on my walk behind trimmer....   they had the best pre-cut I've been able to find.     
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #826 on: July 08, 2017, 09:13:57 PM »

After K-Mart hosed their stockholders and people lost everything.  I vowed never to go in one and I haven't.  Sears and Grabuck deserves to go down.  They lost their way about 10 years ago.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #827 on: July 09, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »

I guess I'll have to find a new source for the string on my walk behind trimmer....   they had the best pre-cut I've been able to find.   

They may have some pretty good sale prices...

by October trimmer string probably won't be a hot item anymore so you may be able to load up with a supply to last a few years.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #828 on: July 09, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »

I say good riddance.   Hopefully it will get demoed though.   Last time I was in there and I bet that was 20 years ago, the place was a dump.   I'd imagine once they vacate it will deteriorate fast.

I wouldn't stock up on string.   It actually is designed to break down over time so that all the bits you break off in use degrade.   Even in the package it gets more brittle over time.   I just recently learned this after not understanding why my string sometimes is fine and sometimes seems like it breaks every few minutes.   Thinking back, its been old string.   Storing it in a cool, dry place may help--not sure.   

Newport-Bill

• Super Talker
« Reply #829 on: July 09, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »

When the Dearborn one closed years ago I waited a few weeks and then went over to get things.  Found it was pretty well picked over pretty early.  Was able to get a couple garden shovels and that was about it.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #830 on: July 09, 2017, 12:30:12 PM »

K-mart and Sears both closing in Toledo now..
The Alexis road store always seemed pretty busy.
The Sears at Westgate not so much and it's in a great area.  Westgate booming but Costco across the street.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #831 on: July 14, 2017, 10:27:26 AM »

We hadn't seen any signs of life around Fino's the last couple of times we were leaving Kroger on S. Monroe St.  Last night we drove over through the parking lot and there wasn't a single thing there other than a lot of trash blowing around.  No 'closed' sign in the window but the electric 'OPEN' sign wasn't on either.  Anyone heard anything?

Gone on vacation maybe?
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Newport-Bill

• Super Talker
« Reply #832 on: July 14, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »

Went to Gander Mountain yesterday to see what items they had left.  Still had quite a bit of stuff in many of the departments.  The signs say 25-60% off but I found you can't rely on the signs in the departments to be accurate.  I went to see if I could get a deal on broadheads and the sign said 30% on all archery but I had the guy scan them and they came up 40% off.  So I got a couple of packs of Muzzys regular $30 for $18.

They said they are going to reopen as Gander Outdoors in Belleville but did provide a date.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #833 on: July 14, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »

That makes a lot of sense for them.   New owner of the Gander Mountain name and some assets is the owner of Camping World.  My understanding is he did not buy any of the inventory as he thinks the inventory mix is all wrong .   Last I saw he was renegotiating every lease and if the landlord doesn't want to play, the store closes.    I'd assume they will co-locate with Camping World in Belleville which probably has plenty of space with some juggling since they sell RV's there.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #834 on: July 14, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »

Apparently a few more stores have closed in the Mall.   Finish Line is no longer listed as is the antique place. Vanity, Rue 21, and Payless all closed in bankruptcy.   If you count Carson's as one store, don't count Applebees which isn't actually in the mall, and don't count vending machines there are only 25 tenants left.   News articles about Carson's seem to think bankruptcy is in their near future and suddenly there stock is trading like mad and the price has tripled (from $0.31) in the last two days. 

Wonder if the owners still want $15M for the property?

I don't think this is a Monroe problem.   In my travels I've been in some other similarly-sized towns and even some bigger than Monroe, the malls are dead.   People will drive an hour to a "destination" mall but not 10 minutes to a small mall.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]   Go Up