MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Nature & Environment

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nature & Environment  (Read 12711 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Any kind of a spray to just slow down plant growth?
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »

I know we have sprays to make plants grow faster and we have sprays to make plants die completely...

but is there anything to just 'slow down' the growth?

I have several hundred feet of ditch bank I mow.  I'm afraid if I just kill everything then some of the bank may just wash out if we get some heavy rain so I want to leave everything 'alive' but just not growing to the point I have to mow it every few weeks. 

Any suggestions or preferably something has some first hand knowledge of?
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Maverick

• Hero Talker
Re: Nature & Environment
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »

I think there is a retardant chemical but not really sure. You might want to try 2 4 D as it kills the broadleaf weeds and plants but does not effect the grass which will stay and not allow erosion on ditchbanks
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

Newport-Bill

• Super Talker
« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »

I know they spray fruit to keep it from ripening more when shipping so maybe that same thing whatever it is? 

The 2 4 D would leave the grass which you would still have to mow.  What if you mixed up some Roundup REALLY REALLY weak?  May not do a kill but enough to make it fight through it thus slowing the growth.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »

Roundup light would be really risky.  2 4 D is your best bet on the cheep.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2017, 09:15:16 PM »

I've sprayed Roundup on scrub trees and cat tails growing in the ditch. I think since I sprayed mostly on the upper portion the small weeds and grass weren't affected.
As a side note I ask the county mower why he didn't cut down the cattails.  He said the deer feed on them..
I ask if that wasn't pretty stupid providing food for the deer next to the roadway..
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:18:58 PM by blue2 »

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »

Yep 2-4D.  Just make sure it has no additives.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #231 on: July 18, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »

Thanks for all the ideas but I don't want to 'kill' off any of the vegetation (well, maybe the small patch of cattails)...

I just want them to not grow as fast as they usually do. 

I grew up in Midland and my Dad worked for Dow Chemical and farmed on the side so I literally grew up with 2-4-D.  When Dow started selling it to the military to use in Agent Orange they had to increase production.  There were frequent 'peaceful' demonstrations outside the plant fence near our 'main drag'.  We would usually make at least one tour down there on Friday and Saturday nights just to see who was protesting. 

I've sprayed Roundup on scrub trees and cat tails growing in the ditch. I think since I sprayed mostly on the upper portion the small weeds and grass weren't affected.
As a side note I ask the county mower why he didn't cut down the cattails.  He said the deer feed on them..
I ask if that wasn't pretty stupid providing food for the deer next to the roadway..

I'm usually ahead of the county on mowing the ditch so they just lift up their mower and chug on by.  On the occasion that I don't have it mowed they will mow it all including the small stretch of cattails.  When we moved here we didn't have any cattails in the ditch (maybe the prior owner had sprayed them) but then the road commission cleaned the ditch...  took out maybe 4-5".  Since then we've had that one small stretch.  Maybe the road commission 'seeds' the cattails after they clean?!   I've never seen the deer eating them or even seen where anything had been eating on them but they are literally right next to the road and that doesn't sound like a good place to 'feed' the deer ;) ;) ;)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Newport-Bill

• Super Talker
« Reply #232 on: July 18, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »

Only thing I know that eats cattails is beaver and muskrat and they go for the bulb end.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #233 on: July 18, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »

Hummm.......I thought beaver only ate into savings and retirement accounts.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #234 on: July 18, 2017, 08:19:51 PM »

Hummm.......I thought beaver only ate into savings and retirement accounts.

8*  Good one   8*
Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up