MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Science & Technology

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Science & Technology  (Read 17181 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Science & Technology
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:04 AM »

Redwood Fossil: Canada Diamond Mine Yields 50-Million-Year-Old Specimen

(And no...it's not about the Republican Party) ;D

A search for diamonds in Canada's far north turned up a rare fossil — a chunk of a redwood sealed in volcanic rock more than 50 million years ago.

A study of the well-preserved specimen, which also contains a sliver of amber, shows that the now-icy region where it was found had a swampier past.

The wood was found a few years ago in a kimberlite pipe, named the Panda pipe, over 1,000 feet (315 meters) below Earth's surface at the Ekati diamond mine, just south of the Arctic Circle in Canada's Northwest Territories, the researchers say. A kimberlite pipe, a type of volcanic pipe, forms when kimberlite magma pushes through deep fractures in the Earth's crust to create a vertical tubelike structure that's wider at the top like a carrot. Kimberlites have the deepest origins of all magmas on Earth and when they cool, they leave behind rocks dense in crystals, sometimes holding diamonds.

More here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/redwood-fossil-50-million-canada_n_1906049.html?ncid=webmail2
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
Re: Science & Technology
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »

Redwoods are awesome. Amber fascinates me.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 12:44:33 AM »

The Mystery Of Black Holes

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:45:16 AM »

What Is Liquid Air And How Is it Used To Store Energy?

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »

Frenchfry, don't clutter this thread with videos from CNN...Use your words if you have something to add... ;)
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »

Frenchfry, don't clutter this thread with videos from CNN...Use your words if you have something to add... ;)
I'll just file your opinion in the same circular file as those from my other detractors.

But it does prove that the right-wingers that often assail you are wrong on many levels.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »

I'll just file your opinion in the same circular file as those from my other detractors.

But it does prove that the right-wingers that often assail you are wrong on many levels.

It's nothing personal...I just don't like being assaulted with mass video loads all in one thread... :-\

I'm NOT a "right-winger" either...!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:56:37 AM »

It's nothing personal...I just don't like being assaulted with mass video loads all in one thread... :-\

I'm NOT a "right-winger" either...!
You're wasting your breath complaining about the videos....this isn't your site and therefore don't make the rules.

I have accused you of being a rightie in the past....and the righties have accused you of being a leftie....I guess you're a fence-sitting centrist...perhaps the only true independent on the forum.

The others mouth the words but their opinions are always 100% right-wing talking points.

I cannot say the same for you so I was wrong to label you as a rightie. Sorry.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »

Now you've done it - there will be a dozen video's before you can blink...

Stay tuned for what others think - and of course the "lecture series"...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »

You're wasting your breath complaining about the videos....this isn't your site and therefore don't make the rules.

I have accused you of being a rightie in the past....and the righties have accused you of being a leftie....I guess you're a fence-sitting centrist...perhaps the only true independent on the forum.

The others mouth the words but their opinions are always 100% right-wing talking points.

I cannot say the same for you so I was wrong to label you as a rightie. Sorry.

Well, now you're just being an a**hole...

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »

Well, now you're just being an a**hole...
How so?

BTW...I'm pretty sure your complaints about my videos should have been enough to ingratiate yourself with the righties...you didn't need to go with the name-calling on an apology.  8*
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:23:48 AM by Frenchfry »

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »

NASA Releases Images Of A DYING STAR

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 01:33:38 AM »

The Most Popular Cell Phones ALL Contain Toxic Metals

The Most Popular Cell Phones ALL Contain Toxic Metals

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »

New Malware Demands Payment To Get Control Of your Computer Back (Easy Fix Found On Youtube)

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »

(Reuters) - Forget the diamond as big as the Ritz. This one's bigger than planet Earth.

Orbiting a star that is visible to the naked eye, astronomers have discovered a planet twice the size of our own made largely out of diamond.

The rocky planet, called '55 Cancri e', orbits a sun-like star in the constellation of Cancer and is moving so fast that a year there lasts a mere 18 hours.

Discovered by a U.S.-Franco research team, its radius is twice that of Earth's but it is much more dense with a mass eight times greater. It is also incredibly hot, with temperatures on its surface reaching 3,900 degrees Fahrenheit (1,648 Celsius).

"The surface of this planet is likely covered in graphite and diamond rather than water and granite," said Nikku Madhusudhan, the Yale researcher whose findings are due to be published in the journal Astrophysical Journal Letters.

More here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/11/us-space-diamond-planet-idUSBRE89A0PU20121011

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Up