MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > A farm equipment question?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: A farm equipment question?  (Read 10685 times)

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: A farm equipment question?
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »

Nice plow

https://www.facebook.com/AgricultureTechnologies/videos/1298631503495880/

Appears to be in Europe somewhere. 

I can't imagine plowing along and hitting one of our big rocks with that plow out front. 

My Dad always used a trailer plow on his Farmall Hs.  Breakaway hitch worked good.  I tripped it a couple of times and you just had to be quick enough to get the tractor stopped before you got to the end of the trip rope that was usually hooked to the back of the seat of the tractor ;D ;D ;D

Then he bought an AC WD 45 with a mounted 3 bottom but no trip device for rocks!!! 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »

My dad was plowing once with my brother standing beside him when he hit a huge rock. The tractor stopped dead and my brother fell in front of the big rear tire. Lucky the tractor stalled or he would have been run over. No more riding on the tractor beside dad after that.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2016, 11:15:52 AM »

Sometimes you get lucky...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2016, 07:09:04 AM »

My dad was plowing once with my brother standing beside him when he hit a huge rock. The tractor stopped dead and my brother fell in front of the big rear tire. Lucky the tractor stalled or he would have been run over. No more riding on the tractor beside dad after that.

I rode a lot of hours beside my Dad.  He was pretty safety oriented and was especially careful with things like that because he fell off a tractor he was riding on as a child and got run over by a cultipacker.  Also my Dad's 'day' job was as a crane operator (back before hydraulics when they were all cables, drums, brakes and clutches) so his reflexes were honed pretty sharp!

Sometimes you get lucky...

Correct!!!

I've never liked the wide use of the phrase 'accident'...

there are very, very few true 'accidents'...

Most everything that gets called an 'accident' is (in my opinion) the result of someones negligence or not very well planned out intentions. 

Motor vehicle accidents today are so often the result of operator inattention or distractions.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2016, 08:16:24 AM »

On the way home yesterday we jumped off the freeway at Newport to go by Al's farm equipment...

I'd heard they had a used IH Cub Cadet LoBoy 154 similar to mine.  They had it parked right out front and it definitely is in pretty good shape.  It has the skinny tri-rib front tires but then the rear tires are turf tires which doesn't make any sense to me.  I have turf tires at all 4 corners.

I also see they're an LS Tractors dealer.  Compact and Lawn & Garden variety tractors...

My first thought is they look a lot like a New Holland and when I got home and started reading on their website it looks like some of their products are built by New Holland. 

http://lstractorusa.com/

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:52 AM »

BRD your are correct there are no "accidents" they are all avoidable...

We called them car crashes, but the culture and use of the term accident is hard to overcome
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2016, 07:33:03 AM »

BRD your are correct there are no "accidents" they are all avoidable...

We called them car crashes, but the culture and use of the term accident is hard to overcome
[/b]

I blame the press and journalists for that one...

I remember a few years back when the guy crashed his car down on the turnpike going over 150 mph...

one of the Toledo TV reporters was describing the series of events that led up to the "accident"....

That is as far from an accident as you can get.  Seems like he was eventually charged with some pretty serious charges. 

But, it was no way an ACCIDENT!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2016, 09:22:06 AM »

On the way home yesterday we jumped off the freeway at Newport to go by Al's farm equipment...

I'd heard they had a used IH Cub Cadet LoBoy 154 similar to mine.  They had it parked right out front and it definitely is in pretty good shape.  It has the skinny tri-rib front tires but then the rear tires are turf tires which doesn't make any sense to me.  I have turf tires at all 4 corners.

I also see they're an LS Tractors dealer.  Compact and Lawn & Garden variety tractors...

My first thought is they look a lot like a New Holland and when I got home and started reading on their website it looks like some of their products are built by New Holland. 

http://lstractorusa.com/

I think it's the other way around.  LS copied the NH utility, open station tractor, much like Kioti started out by buying obsolete tooling and building a Kubota clone (which they got sued for, for trade dress infringement) btw.  Kubota is bery protective of their trafemark orange paint, Kioti painted their clone orange too...  Why not capitalize on a good thing.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2016, 10:18:02 AM »

I think it's the other way around.  LS copied the NH utility, open station tractor, much like Kioti started out by buying obsolete tooling and building a Kubota clone (which they got sued for, for trade dress infringement) btw.  Kubota is bery protective of their trafemark orange paint, Kioti painted their clone orange too...  Why not capitalize on a good thing.

Found this that somewhat explains the 'duplicates'!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ls-tractor-buying-pricing/244089-ls-tractor-new-holland-model.html

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2016, 05:12:59 AM »

...been a mamber of that forum for at least 15 years.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2016, 01:47:28 PM »

I was down just south of the state line and west of Toledo this morning in 'farm country'!

They're corn and beans all look good and not as stressed as here.  Lots of hay down or just baled...

mostly round bales wrapped in plastic. 

I saw a tractor just sitting in a hay field and the hay had been cut and was in windrows.  If the tractor had been working or parked with the front end toward me I probably could have seen what was mounted on the front end.

It wasn't towing anything and there was something that looked like it was mounted on a front end loader frame without a bucket...  I'm thinking it was some kind of a side rake or tedder rake but not for sure.  I haven't seen anything like it before.

Anyone have an idea of what I'm talking about.

It looked like a pretty up to date New Holland 4 wheel drive...

not really a compact tractor but not a big farm tractor either...

If there had even been anyone around I would have waited to see what it was doing.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2016, 10:41:42 AM »

This must be what I saw down by Delta, OH on Wednesday.

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=13510

The tractor I saw did not have a baler on the back though.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #118 on: September 06, 2016, 09:02:21 AM »

We were over in Ida over the weekend and saw a couple of hay balers going down the road.  One was not too far behind the other so probably owned by the same farmer.  Mounted on the top of the baler (both were conventional balers) was what looked like a small salt spreader that you see mounted on the tailgate of a pickup in the wintertime.  Maybe a 2 bushel hopper (they were both going down the road at a pretty good clip). 

I can only guess that they are spreading some kind of preservative or adding some kind of nutrient...

maybe sidecarflip will know the answer to this one :D :D :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up