MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Drones... the good... the bad... the ugly!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drones... the good... the bad... the ugly!  (Read 7979 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Drones... the good... the bad... the ugly!
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »

Amazing.....the possibilities are endless.  Payload looks to be about the only limitation.

Too bad the FAA mandated licensning thats almost on par with a pilot's license for drones.  That kind of puts the kabosh on business / ag use.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2016, 07:22:42 AM »

Too bad the FAA mandated licensning thats almost on par with a pilot's license for drones.  That kind of puts the kabosh on business / ag use.

We took Valentines goodies down to our son's house yesterday.  He took me downstairs to his 'Drone Den' to show me some of his latest projects.  He had started off buying a tiny one that he could fly inside and got real good at that.  Then he started buying bigger and bigger and bigger.

Now he's buying parts and assembling his own.  A good part of that is some pretty detailed programming.

Now he's ordered the stuff to make his own goggles that he can see what the drone is seeing from where it is. 

At this point his Go-Pro camera is about obsolete (LOL)...

now he's looking at one of these!

Hands On Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Glad he's been working lots of overtime ;) ;) ;)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2016, 06:08:45 PM »

I hope he's obtained the proper licensing from the FAA.  The fines are very 'overtime' eating.  So's the jail time.  Making license plates for the state or storage racks for the Fed don't leave a lot of money for toys.

The way it stands right now, you basically need a non-commercial pilot's license to operate a drone.  Not the toy ones, but the expensive heavier ones.  I know there is a weight threshold but what it is exactly, I have no idea.  It also takes into 'time aloft' and celinig requirements.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2016, 06:57:22 PM »

I hope he's obtained the proper licensing from the FAA.  The fines are very 'overtime' eating.  So's the jail time.  Making license plates for the state or storage racks for the Fed don't leave a lot of money for toys.

The way it stands right now, you basically need a non-commercial pilot's license to operate a drone.  Not the toy ones, but the expensive heavier ones. I know there is a weight threshold but what it is exactly, I have no idea.  It also takes into 'time aloft' and celinig requirements.

He is staying completely legal. 

I had taken him my postage scale to weigh them but he decided it wasn't accurate enough plus it weighs in ounces...

he wanted to be able to weigh in grams.   So he had a nice new digital gram scale that he weighs each component on before he ads it to the frame.  He even weighs the wire he cuts off after the installation.

The heavy licensing requirements don't kick in until you're actually using it 'commercially'...

two 'pilots' can fly identical UAVs side by side and record the exact same data.  If one is using it for 'fun' (recreation) then only the UAV has to be registered.  But, if the pilot wants to 'sell' (or even give away as long as it ends up in a commercial use at any point in the future) then the pilot has to be 'licensed' to the standards you are referencing. 

The government is involved so it's not getting any clearer anytime soon :o :o :o

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »

I'm not well versed on it actually.  One of the guys I hunt with happens to be one of our company pilots (jet certified) and he has a commercially rated drone he uses for mapping purposes.  At least I can 'borrow' him if I need something droned.....

It is an expensive hobby, worse than the firearms I play with....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2016, 04:59:17 AM »

Not a lot of details...

hopefully more will be released later. 

The Sandusky (OH) county sheriff had just done their training on their new UAV in the morning when a prisoner escaped the jail that afternoon.  They were able to sue their new reconnaissance device to help capture the escapee after a short time.

http://nbc24.com/news/local/sandusky-county-authorities-use-drone-to-capture-escaped-inmate

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2016, 10:25:20 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up