MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Gardening thread... What have you planted this spring...?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardening thread... What have you planted this spring...?  (Read 5125 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Gardening thread... What have you planted this spring...?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »

Secor, north of Ida Center about a 1/2 mile.

I have a 10 pound bag of Arrostock Maine potatoes coming the second week of May.  I'm anxious to cut them and dust with hydrated lime and plant them.  CL and I will probably eat about half.  Arrostock's are not available around here at all.  Sure they are very hardy coming from Northern Maine.

Being personally delivered by my friends in Houlton, Maine.  They are stopping by for a few days in May on their way to Alaska to visit their son for a couple months.

Nice being retired.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »

I may have to break down and get one of these! 

Tertill ($249)
There are already robots to take care of your floors, your windows and your lawn; now there’s one that takes care of weeding. The Tertill is a solar-powered device that will hang out in your flowerbeds or veg patch and keep a close eye for rogue plants. It does a daily sweep for weeds poking their heads up in your garden, whacking them with a spinning string trimmer before they can become established. It’s not some sort of super-intelligent robot with superior gardening knowledge though; it distinguishes between plants and weeds based on height. Specifically: weeds are short, plants are tall. Those plants that don’t fit that criteria can have a collar fitted to prevent the Tertill from accidentally strimming them. It’s weatherproof too, and connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth.
franklinrobotics.com

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/the-robot-that-takes-cares-of-your-garden-weeds-1.3126883
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »

I need to downsize the garden.  I just cannot toss any seed potatoes out and thusly, I have enlarged the patch again.

2 rows of Ambrosia sweet corn, 7 rows of spuds (lower garden) additionally, 5 more rows of spuds in the upper (new) garden), 7 rows of onions, 2 tomato plants, 2 cuke plants and 4 zucchini plants.

Just hilled the spuds this morning....again.  Had quite a few strawberries out of the patch too.

Newport-Bill

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 03:46:50 PM »

Zucchini (enough to feed the county), cucumbers (not sure why since I usually get 2-3 then the mosaic virus kills them), cantaloupe (which I don't like but my Dad tells me you can't grow good cantaloupe in MI so I do it to spite him), butternut squash, and pumpkins (some to sell, some to carve and some for deer bait.)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2017, 05:43:26 PM »

NB, same here on the cukes. I've had that problem for at least 5 years now.  Vine grows nice, lots of blossoms. A few cukes and the next day the vine is dried up. 
I've moved out of garden to other end of my lot and let grow up the fence. Same deal.  The stuff is in the air.
I can't eat anything but burpless and they are hard to find. That's why I try to grow.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2017, 10:00:30 PM »

Randy Duseau told me to lace the cukes with Sevin so that is the plan shortly.  I have blossoms and vines right now so probably tomorrow..  The 'maters and the long green things will get a blast too.  This is the first year in 5 that I've tried cukes.  In the past they croak.

Corn is knee high already.  I side dressed it with 46 granulated urea, same stuff I use on the hay.  46 bucks a bag at Ida or Britton, no tax, ag account.  traded a roto tiller (rear tine) I got some years back (for zip) for a Garden Way seeder with all the seed discs.  Cats meow for planting corn.  I'll try it on beans next year and maybe carrots too.  Carrots are a pizzer to plant.  I've tried seed tapes and the syringe planter.  Neither one is any good.

We got a deal on onion sets at Meijers in Adrian.  The had reds and whites in hundred bulb boxes for a dollar a box and 95% came up.

3 years ago I bought a Cub Cadet counter rotating rear tine tiller.  What a tiller.  2 passes to break new ground at an IDLE.  I use an ancient Troy Bilt rear tine Pony tiller with a Harbor Freight engine as my cultivator tiller.  I space my rows 3 feet apart so keeping the patch weed free is a matter of running the little troy bilt down the rows...  and...  pre treating the patch with roundup-ultra 45% glyphosate 3 weeks before planting it, helps too.

I hate weeds.

Fingers crossed on the cukes.  I'm amazed that I never have an issue with zuchinni, it's in the cuke family too.

If they croak, I can always get all I want from Randy.  Cabbage too.

Finally, I planted my usual Kathadin and Russett and Pontiac spuds but I also planted Aroostock (Maine potatoes) and purple potatoes and I'd say they will be purple because the plant stems are purple....

The 'maters are all about CL.  I hate tomatoes.  CL says I have about 1/2 acre planted.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »

Ill dust cukes today.  And hope that's the trick..
i spray my tomatoes and peppers with epsom salts about every two weeks.

Newport-Bill

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »

I've had one of those Garden Way seeders for years.  It works great for beans.  I would have them this year but only I eat them since the kids are gone.  I have also used it for beets. Have never tried it with carrots but no reason think it wouldn't work well.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 10:28:51 PM »

I've had one of those Garden Way seeders for years.  It works great for beans.  I would have them this year but only I eat them since the kids are gone.  I have also used it for beets. Have never tried it with carrots but no reason think it wouldn't work well.

I thought it was a good trade in as much as the tiller was free and I don't like front time tillers anyway.  Had to fiddle wit it a little bit, oil the wheel bearings and clean the seed plates but it does work well on corn.  I have the straightest best spaced rows I've ever planted.  I still manually side dress the corn with 46 though I see you can get a side dress attachment for the seeder.  Corn loves Urea.

Carrots are a bugger to hand plant because the seeds are so small, like onions, why I buy sets.

Laid on the Sevin the other night.  If it rains like it's supposed to, I'll give it to them (cukes, maters and zuchinni again after the rain.  I'm starting to get tiny cukes already and the Zukes are a couple inches long.  Have some green maters too but are too small yet.

Corn is knee high and the spuds are coming along.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2017, 03:53:10 PM »

I have good news to report.  For the first time in a long time, CL and I just picked some nice cukes.  Not real big but firm and the plants show no signs of wilt at all.  I've sprayed them with Sevin 2 times now and again this morning.

Fingers crossed.  Thats 3 more than I usually get.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2017, 10:28:15 AM »

CL made cukes with onions and vinegar and they have been consumed.  We savored them as they were the first to make it in about 8 years.  Hopefully I get more, lots more. ;D

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »

No doubt, those taste super that way.  Enjoy!
Support the local economy as much as possible!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »

Love cukes and onions.   I've learned to scoop out cukes and refrigerate vinegar and onions to use a few more times

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2017, 04:48:18 PM »

Got 5 more this morning.  I'm not letting them get real big.  Picking them about 6-8" long.  No need to peel, just salt and eat.

Sevin is the hot setup.  I'm using the concentrated liquid.  One ounce to a full hose end sprayer.  Looking good, lots of blossoms too.  The Zukes are coming too.  Picked a couple this morning.  John wants the huge ones though, calls them 'wife beaters'.  Green baseball bats.

I have to weed the onions and corn when it dries out a bit.  Then I'll side dress the corn, the cukes, tomatoes and Zukes with 46 Urea.  Picked up 3 50 pound bags at the elevator today.  I need about 10 more actually.  Ordered 50 pounds of vernal alfalfa too.

Really excited about the cukes.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »

I dusted mine before I left but I'm worried now that the rain washed it off and the vines will be dried up when I get home Sunday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up