MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Windows 10

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 6748 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Windows 10
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:23:26 AM »

It's been available for a couple of days now...

anyone downloaded it yet?

I've been reading up on it and see some potential 'privacy' issues.  I'm not going to rush to download it right away.

Would like to hear comments from anyone that has though.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »

A few weeks back I needed an OS for a new build obtained from Newegg...a shell-shocker deal, so I downloaded an evaluation copy of windows 10.

Can't say much about it yet since I've actually bypassed any interaction with it by primarily accessing the 'net via Google Chrome.

I expect my free ride on Win 10 will end soon but there's a glimmer of hope that it won't since the part that said evaluation copy seems to have disappeared.

The one thing I love about the OS is the automatic updates since I'm an update fanatic.

Hell I don't even trust that to work right so I check manually anyway.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

halo_girl

• Active Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »

we did have our copies reserved but after reading up on a lot of the privacy issues and other things that we would have to find a way to "opt out of" instead of opt-in, we are not even interested in looking at it right now.  It really seems as though Microsoft pretty much wants to see every thing we do and there is nothing in way of privacy with them.  Personally we will probably start researching different operating systems.  For the time being, if it ain't broke, we ain't fixing it to suit them.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »

Bottom Line

Given the way Windows operating systems evolve over their lifecycles, it is impossible right now to overly praise or damn Windows 10 but we can start drawing conclusions compared to the differences between it and its predecessors.

My personal feeling is that Windows 10 is an improvement on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and in time it will be considered one of the great Microsoft releases. That said Windows 10 launches with more bugs than it should and (while Microsoft has crafted a super OS) it is also the most controlling and invasive version of Windows the company has ever released and a compromise does need to be found long term.

All of which means Windows 10 is both the best and most troubling Windows version I’ve used. Those determined to be on the cutting edge will upgrade and love it, but those more wedded to Windows 7 and Windows 8 should wait a little longer. The Windows 10 free purchase period lasts until July 29th 2016 for eligible users so there is time to see whether Microsoft can address the differences which make Windows 10 worse than its predecessors compared to those that make it shine.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/02/windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7-whats-the-difference/2/

Sounds to me like it's fee to get you suckered in then they will charge for future upgrades etc.
Windows 10 is supposed to be the last version release with the future being just "Windows" with continuous upgrades and no more versions. They are trying to stop pirating of software and bad releases that make them look bad like "Vista"
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:03:33 PM »

I updated to it - no problems so far - but I don't do things on this laptop that I'm worried about someone spying on anyway...

It fixed that stupid pop-up when you scrolled on the right edge of the screen that 8 put in!   
That alone is worth it.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 09:10:22 AM »

I updated to it - no problems so far - but I don't do things on this laptop that I'm worried about someone spying on anyway...

It fixed that stupid pop-up when you scrolled on the right edge of the screen that 8 put in!   
That alone is worth it.

So, did you start with W7 and then upgrade to W8 or was it a W8 laptop.  One big feature of W8 (and now 10) is that you can use a 'touch' screen with it.  Unfortunately that's a major cost.  My laptop is originally a W7 that I've just left.  It has a pretty high end screen so would probably cost less just to wait and buy a new W10 laptop once they get the inevitable bugs out.

My desktop is originally W7 and I have a 22" monitor on that.  I'll keep my eyes open for a touch screen for it...  again, once the bugs are out of W10. 

From what I read 'if' you have W7 or 8 and you connect your computer to the internet you are going to have W10 no matter what. 

Our youngest daughter has one of the early W8 Touch all in ones and she's anxious to put W10 on it.

I can't say I'm looking forward to it but I know inevitably I'll have to deal with it...   been there a few times before ;) ;) ;)

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:51:23 AM »

CNET folks say it takes hours to download.  I may give it a shot on the laptop someday when i'm done in the morning and let it run.
The old XT will probably crash if i try to load it.

halo_girl

• Active Talker
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »

From what I read 'if' you have W7 or 8 and you connect your computer to the internet you are going to have W10 no matter what. 

My tablet is windows 8.1 and our two desktops are both windows 7 - all of them are on the internet and none automatically switched to W10.  Tried following the step to remove the reserve w10 icon and it seems to have worked on my desktop computer but it came back on the tablet. I am not giving them the satisfaction of switching to W10 - can guarantee we will lose too many things; hubby is especially not happy because apparently windows media player would no longer be available and he has worked too hard and too long on his music collection and a lot of his quad stuff to not be able to play that.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 01:13:36 PM »

My wife says her reserved Windows 10 update is ready to be scheduled...but it's not something Microsoft automatically installed without permission.

There's plenty of time to take advantage of the offer.

I had an issue with Windows 8...where Microsoft allowed me to update to 8.1...but down the road when I tried to start fresh, it wouldn't let me.

My Windows 8 disc became useless.

It required a new 8.1 disc.

I found a way around it but it wasn't easy.

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »

It didn't take long - and I have a HP Pavilion laptop (no touch screen) that started with 8 then to 8.1... and now 10.

The default settings for the microsoft stuff can be changed - as I use google chrome but the new browser is called "edge" instead of explorer. 

I like the new look so far, and it's really not that much of a difference except you don't have to click through a window to get to your area - and that annoying right left automatic window pop up has been eliminated!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:37 PM »

Can you get a disc to load it from or are we stuck downloading

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 11:02:09 PM »

Can you get a disc to load it from or are we stuck downloading
Sure you can get a disc...if you buy the OS.

Updating to Windows 10 is free (via download) for those that qualify (legit installed Windows OS) but only for about a year. After that they start charging.

No point in discussing ISO files.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »

So what is the verdict?

I have one laptop running on Windows 7 - I hate to mess with that one - I bought the laptop just because it had 7 on it instead of 8.

I have reserved my copy to upgrade the laptop that runs 8.1.  I got my notification I am ready to go - but I haven't told it to go yet.

I do hate how it pops up stuff at the edge of the screen though - hence why I went out and got the Windows 7 laptop!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »

My next computer will be Apple
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up