MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Monroe City council green-lights launch into social media

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe City council green-lights launch into social media  (Read 1600 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Monroe City council green-lights launch into social media
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:23:19 PM »

Hard to believe it's taken them this long to get up to speed...

I guess they're still listening to those famous words of George Armstrong Custer...

"don't change a thing with this town until I get back from the plains" ;) ;) ;)

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20160621/city-council-green-lights-launch-into-social-media--
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
Re: Monroe City council green-lights launch into social media
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:09:58 PM »

Hard to believe it's taken them this long to get up to speed...

I guess they're still listening to those famous words of George Armstrong Custer...

"don't change a thing with this town until I get back from the plains" ;) ;) ;)

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20160621/city-council-green-lights-launch-into-social-media--

It's not like it wasn't brought up as a suggestion 5-6 years ago... ;) :)
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »

It's not like it wasn't brought up as a suggestion 5-6 years ago... ;) :)

I guess some people just wanted to wait and make sure this 'internet thing' was going to catch on before they made a commitment :o :o :o
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:21:19 PM »

They had to hire another full time employee to make it happen.

Piss poor investment if you ask me.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 01:01:22 PM »

They had to hire another full time employee to make it happen.

Piss poor investment if you ask me.
At least now they may be able to get news to the public.

I guess the person with the mailing post cards contract  at 20K is out of a job?     

Planning department jobs will be safe however - as this plan took forever... wonder what their next "Plan" is... ;)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 07:39:52 PM »

At least now they may be able to get news to the public.

I guess the person with the mailing post cards contract  at 20K is out of a job?     

Planning department jobs will be safe however - as this plan took forever... wonder what their next "Plan" is... ;)

I thought that getting the news to the public was the job of the local News Paper?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:01 AM »

I thought that getting the news to the public was the job of the local News Paper?

MN?  You are joking right?  The only 'news' I see in that rag is off the wire AP garbage.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »

Local papers aren't in the "free" business of doing the government's job - and therefore are selective of what they publish

That's part of the business model - they charge governments for publishing their minutes (business) 
Dundee doesn't even publish theirs in the only local paper they have.   

Maybe the town crier would be better if you don't think that new fangled technology will stick  (facebook)  :)     but it's better than the mass mailing of postcards they've been using and much less in costs!

....  if only there were more libraries in town with free computers and internet ;)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »

Some of us don't partake in Facebook.

If this is the new medium of communication, I guess I am SOL, because I am not going to turn over any information to MZ.

Google - I can't help it.  They offer useful things I like to use. 

Zuckerberg?  He is offering nothing that I need or want, and he is doing a bunch of shite I don't agree with.  I don't partake in his clown services.

It's funny when friends ask why I didn't come to their party and I tell them - well - you never invited me to a party, so I didn't come.  Well - it was posted on Facebook!  If you can't figure out I'm not on Facebook by now - I can only assume you didn't want me there.  There are many mediums of communication outside of that forum that you could use.....  E-mail, texting, calling, coming by the house, US Mail, having someone else tell me.  Nope - they just put it on Facebook and call it a day. 

I've had friends that are buried up to their azz in Facebook think that I moved out of town because they haven't heard from me.  Nope.  I'm in the same place.  Same phone number.  Same E-mail.  You don't return messages - what am I to do?  The only way you answer anything is on your message board?  Sorry Charlie - not on there - guess we are doomed to not communicate then.

I feel like I should apologize to them or something for not caring enough to want to read all the trivial updates and what are they doing now shite they put up.  Like I cared what you had for lunch?  That you are cutting the grass?  That the dog had the runs?  Too much information - no thanks.  And behind it all is the guy who is selling your information.

Not going to do it.  Bad enough Google is into me.

Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 11:03:08 PM »

Facebook works best for long range/distance family/friends as you can communicate without really communicating - by sharing pictures and events.

If you did the same in a group text -  you'd be so annoyed at receiving  every response - regardless of if you are involved -  you'd be leaving the group as most do.

Emails are for business - rarely used for family stuff. 

I still like the old fashioned "phone call"  but there are no phone directories for cell phones - so it's back to square one...   and facebook seems to work if you have the fortitude to skip the adds and crap. 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 09:32:38 PM »

Nope.

Not gonna do it.

I'm going to skip the whole social media thing, outside of reading a few select Twitter feeds, which to me are essentially headlines for print media.

You want to know something else that is really really ticking me off?

When I click a link for an article on a Newspaper Website for a topic that I find interesting - and I find a webcast.  I don't want a webcast.  I don't want to watch someone talking about a topic when I go to a newspaper website.  I want to READ articles written by JOURNALISTS that know how to WRITE.  If I want to WATCH things - I will go to ESPN or the Local TV Station or an outlet like that.

I mean WTF.  Can't people read anymore?  Can't people WRITE articles?

What ever happened to College Kid anyway?  I would love his take on this topic.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 10:22:18 PM »

Facebook pretty good for family's that like to keep in touch and share (brag) experiences. It's fairly easy to keep the skunks out if you pay attention to the security stuff. Lock everybody out but your friends. Not everybody avail at same times to talk. Just post on Facebook and friends and family catch up. Twitter and Instrgram good for sharing quick stuff.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 09:11:34 PM »

Facebook pretty good for family's that like to keep in touch and share (brag) experiences. It's fairly easy to keep the skunks out if you pay attention to the security stuff. Lock everybody out but your friends. Not everybody avail at same times to talk. Just post on Facebook and friends and family catch up. Twitter and Instrgram good for sharing quick stuff.

I hear ya.

I got a phone.  I got e-mail.  I receive mail.

Don't need it.

I heard from the in-laws today that other in-laws were posting on their drive up north yesterday, and how long it was taking, and why all the delays.

Too much information.  I have better things to do thanks.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 09:53:05 AM »

Never would have gotten in touch with some of my college classmates from the 70's if not for the power of facebook and the ability to use the internet for searches...     
 - (I did have phone and email of a few - much nicer to see pictures as well as group discussions like here - and they can be in a private group)

and a majority of High schools are using it for setting up their "class reunions"....   along with that dinosaur called e-mail :) 

Still better than relying on postcards and someone watching the closed circuit broadcast of the council meetings for getting out government news.   
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 06:18:35 PM »

Closed Circuit?

Better to go and see if you can get a councilperson to say something really stupid.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up