MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > The latest in scam & spam calling... local numbers!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The latest in scam & spam calling... local numbers!  (Read 509 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
The latest in scam & spam calling... local numbers!
« on: June 07, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »

The latest 'wave' from the spam callers is the caller ID showing a local Monroe number.  So far I'm seeing all 241- numbers but I suppose that may change too.  It's also making it more difficult for Mr. Number to acquire enough history to 'block' the calls.  Guess I'll start letting any 'unknown' local numbers go to voicemail >:( >:( >:(
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: The latest in scam & spam calling... local numbers!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »

They just hangup if you don't answer.  I've never had a scammer leave a VM..
I had some calls every day for a couple of months that i never answered.  They seem to have stopped calling.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »

I have called one number back and it was an older lady in what sounded like her home, saying she never called me....I wonder if they just take numbers at random and use someones number when it is not being used by the number owner??

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:21:13 AM »

I had one that even spoofed my own number

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 10:14:54 PM »

I had one that even spoofed my own number

I haven't had that one yet...

must have been a new 'tech' that didn't understand the objective.

I've been getting 2-3 of these a day lately.  Mr. Number doesn't recognize the number because the spam callers only use it a relatively few times so it never makes it into their database. 

Newport-Bill

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 09:32:06 AM »

My latest scam calls have all been from the "Windows Technical Center" and that my computer is spitting out messages about being infected with malware.  Well being an IT guy, in IT Security no less, and also being a smart *** I have employed 2 different responses but in both I sound very alarmed and into them "helping" me.

The first one I start off by saying I have 3 computers all running and they need to tell me which one has the issue.  They always just say "your computer" but then I ask them for the IP and MAC address of the one causing the issue.  They tell me that is private info and they can't tell it to me so I argue with them on since it is my info they can tell it to me.  That usually goes back and forth for 5 minutes or so until I tell them I found the machine with the issue.  They then always tell you to launch task manager and so I act like I don't know how and that takes a while.  Then I shout "Oh Allah, there are 100s of processes running!"  which provides them some glee as that is the indication I have an issue per them.  So they tell you to go look for some windows process which you will always find and then start to tell how they will help you.  At that point I fumble with their instructions some more until I get tired then I tell them they are #%$&^* scammers until they hang up but I probably have wasted 15 minutes of their (and of course my) time.

The second by far is a much easier one.  When they tell me to go to the PC I tell them it has been really slow lately probably because of the malware so it will take some time to boot up so "Please don't hang up since I REALLY need your help!" and I place the phone by the TV speaker.  I then take the remote and run the volume up real high and then low and then high for a couple of minutes then pick the phone back up and say "its almost booted PLEASE DON'T HANG UP" and then start the cycle over.  I can usually get at least 20 minutes of this fun every time before they eventually give up.  Sometimes I just set the phone down on the table next to me and every now and then pick it up and say "hold on" and then in between tab the table with a pencil right by the phone receiver.  They tend to hold on longer that way.

So as I said I do waste my time screwing around with them but I laugh every time after as it is quite fun.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »

And the scammers and the spammers have even more new tech at hand...

Ringless Voicemail....   your phone never rings and yet when you go to use your phone you have a voicemail waiting!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/03/business/phone-ringless-voicemail-fcc-telemarketer.html

I've had a few of those and I blamed Verizon that something was wrong with my phone...   that if I somehow couldn't receive a call I could still receive a voice mail.  I realize that could be happening but now it looks like I was just the victim of this new technology.  I use Mr Number to block calls on my cell phone but if it never rings then Mr. Number can't block it. 

I wonder if Verizon will be blocking these type calls in the future :-\ :-\ :-\

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 10:13:21 AM »

"I  wonder if Verizon will be blocking these type calls in the future"
Not if they are making money off the user.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 12:13:23 PM »

"I  wonder if Verizon will be blocking these type calls in the future"
Not if they are making money off the user.

Exactly!!!!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »

I almost always let it go to voicemail - but on accasion they find a number close enough... 

When I call back it either has a pre-recorded   "the survey is over"... push 1 to placed on our do not call (I'm already on the list!- I figure it just add someone to the sell this number list)   or  my favorite - the "the number is not in service"   

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1]   Go Up