MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting  (Read 285 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
« on: October 28, 2017, 02:00:13 PM »

When I saw the headline I thought maybe it was from some type of radiation but it's referring to distracted drivers causing vehicle crashes!!!

Jennifer Smith doesn’t like the term “accident.” It implies too much chance and too little culpability.

I don't know Jennifer but I agree with her thoughts on this one...  accident is a very overused word.  Seems like we had some discussion on that several years ago!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-17/smartphones-are-killing-americans-but-nobody-s-counting
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
Re: Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »

So far there are 27 views and not a single reply...

I don't think too many are too anxious to give up their smart phones just to save their life ;) ;) ;)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »

I will admit to texting in the past, but I also recognize the diminished coordination and reaction skills as I have aged.

I only use hands free phone conversations while driving.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »

I don't txt when driving but will look at one sometimes.  But it's usually on the video display or playback feature in the vehicle..  I hardly use the hands free phone feature, mainly because i don't like to talk on the phone anyway.. And i only answer if i know the person calling

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 12:00:58 PM »

I'm pretty much the same way...will look at a text but not under any sort of traffic, and I think I have yet to pick up the phone and call anyone but will pick up on the hands free.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »

So far there are 27 views and not a single reply...

I don't think too many are too anxious to give up their smart phones just to save their life ;) ;) ;)

I don't play with my phone while I drive.

I'll pick up a call on Bluetooth Handsfree - but no looking at texts or sending one.

I am amazed at how many people have their heads down looking at their phone as they drive.  Honestly - some days it seems like the majority.

Ridiculous.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »

I'm starting to stay back of the white mark when at a traffic light, especially if I'm in the left turn lane.  There are to many people with the phone in one hand turning trying to beat the car coming at them..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »

I'll bet the buggy driver wasn't on a smart phone.  No mention in the article if the the truck driver was somehow distracted. 

http://www.ourmidland.com/news/crime/article/Michigan-Police-Buggy-crash-kills-3-kids-12315428.php

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »

I'm starting to stay back of the white mark when at a traffic light, especially if I'm in the left turn lane.  There are to many people with the phone in one hand turning trying to beat the car coming at them..

We were heading south on Dixie one afternoon last week and had to stop at Dunbar.  Interesting to see several cars turning north onto Dixie from eastbound Dunbar and completely cutting over that left hand lane and using it to start north in.  Fortunately no one that was 'entitled' to be using it legally happened to try using it or we could have had a nasty crash right next to us. 

I think it was a situation of the first driver just saw a nice shortcut and took it and the rest of the line just blindly played 'follow the leader'!  I'd guess there was more than one smart phone in use in that line of vehicles :( :( :(

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:48:53 PM »

People do that all the time everywhere.  Lavoy and Dixie is real bad for cutting into the east bound lane when turning west on Lavoy.  I think they reach that crap in drivers ed.

I have hands free in my car but I never answer the phone when driving.  I have that voice to text too but it never puts down what I say so I don't bother with that either.

LE needs to really come down HARD on distracted driving, whether it's phones or reading a book, doing up your hair or playing with yourself, it's all the same.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 07:22:14 AM »

I pick and choose 'who and where' I talk on the phone if I'm driving. 

In town in stop and go traffic I don't answer...   period!

On the freeway or out on the county roads (I do a lot of county road driving when I'm working) I'll answer if it's a family member or someone I know that understands that when I'm driving there may be some long pauses in conversation. 

As far as making calls I pull over and find a place to make the call.

In the last couple of weeks I've encountered two different vehicles on back country roads that were stopped.  Both times I stopped and backed up to make sure everything was 'ok'...   one man just pointed at his phone and gave me a thumbs up and the other man stopped talking and actually took a minute to tell me he just doesn't talk while he's driving. 

Kudos to both of them 8) 8) 8)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »

I usually enjoy articles from Jalopnik.  This one hits a few of my favorite gripes even though the language tends to be on the R to X scale!!!

https://jalopnik.com/these-are-the-driving-rules-that-everyone-ignores-1819966842

Pages: [1]   Go Up