MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Family Vacation ideas

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Family Vacation ideas  (Read 1229 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Family Vacation ideas
« on: December 22, 2017, 12:07:34 AM »

Looking to take family/grandkids somewhere

Considering all inclusive stuff  - Caribbean   vs Cruise

Who has done either  and suggestions  about either welcome at this time.

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Family Vacation ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 06:59:31 AM »

Never did the all inclusive, but did a few cruises.

The cruises had many activities geared for kids, some organized events as well. 

I did the 3 Day/4 night and the 5 day/6 night.  My preference was the shorter but that was just me being frigidity.

Enjoyed the port visits too......one a day usually, but what I enjoyed as much as anything was just setting on the veranda and enjoying the view of the sea in open water.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 09:38:56 AM »

I thought you said someone was going to Puerto Rico?

Typically a place like that wouldn't appeal to me but I wouldn't mind going now.  Sounds like if you get away from the coast you'd be right into the heavy damage.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »

About the best CL and I will do is Fla next winter.  I think we will go down for a couple weeks with the camper.  Our friends from Maine want us to go.  We can jump around and play tourists for a couple weeks, which is probably all I can stand anyway.

Everything I need or want is right here.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 06:06:22 PM »

I still like to explore a little bit, not as much as I once did.  Work took me pretty well around the world, and I loved every minute of see something beautiful, new, and exciting.  I was fortunate to see what all I saw!

I could do it for a month or so, but I've been gone from home for so much and so long it's good to just kick back and watch the river flow.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 06:50:27 PM »

I thought you said someone was going to Puerto Rico?

Typically a place like that wouldn't appeal to me but I wouldn't mind going now.  Sounds like if you get away from the coast you'd be right into the heavy damage.
My Sister is going - February so I can get a report then

We are going to Maine again this summer -   and I'm trying to get to two other places while I can enjoy -  my favorite -  Ocracoke Island  off the end of Cape Hatteras, and Kauai - with a Galveston Tx visit in between.

This is a family thing my wife wants to do -   Disney cruise -  and I'm looking for beach resort options instead.     
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »

Going to Maine this summer as well with the camper but then we have friends who live just south of Houlton on a huge lake.  We will be 'camping' in their yard by the water and trucking around the state with them, they have a camper as well.  CL wants to go to Bar Harbor, I want to swing into LL bean in Freeport and climb Mt. Kathadin, the highest peak in Maine, 5280 feet to the top, one mile.  It's told by our friends that the mountain came up short by 8 feet so some locals built a pile of stones at the top 8 feet high to make it a mile high...

Always entering the Maine Moose draw too.  One day, I'll hit and get myself a Bullwinkle in the deep freeze.  I have a built in resident guide that knows all the good spots to hunt.

Just talked to them, we talk every day.  It's -3 there and was -14 this morning and they have about 18" of snow on the ground which is a lot less than they usually have right now.  Last year, we got pictures with the snow so high, it was even with the roof line on the house on the ground floor.  Snowshoes are mandatory as is a snowmobile.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 07:23:06 PM »

They should have piled on another 13' of so to make it a mile high!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 10:28:52 PM »

They should have piled on another 13' of so to make it a mile high!

No, 5280 feet is a mile long or high makes no difference.  Last time I checked it didn't.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 07:15:24 AM »

Duh, yes......the mountain is 5,267, 13' less than a mile........been there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Katahdin

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 10:29:07 AM »

Duh, yes......the mountain is 5,267, 13' less than a mile........been there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Katahdin

Maybe it's 13 feet then.  Our good friends live near the base of it and that is what he told me, 8 feet.  In as much as I've never been there (yet), I have to take his word for it.  8 or 13 is kind of moot.  Just a mile high by fiat... ;D

Myself, I'd rather pile 8 feet of rock than 13 feet of rock but then Mainers are resourceful people.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »

Ended up finding a nice home on North Captiva Island  -  multiple stories and multiple bathrooms - on an Island that is only accessible via boat.   Pool next to the beach -

After that I'm thinking Alaska...   unless we go for the Northern Lights in Finland
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »

Ended up finding a nice home on North Captiva Island  -  multiple stories and multiple bathrooms - on an Island that is only accessible via boat.   Pool next to the beach -

After that I'm thinking Alaska...   unless we go for the Northern Lights in Finland

That's a nice area.  We've been down along Pine Island and you can see North Captiva offshore. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: [1]   Go Up