MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:23:37 PM 
Started by superspice_10 - Last post by BigRedDog
I had to run outside to get something out of the car.  I didn't put on a jacket so I was moving pretty quick.  As I was heading for the car I saw a lone turkey standing about 30 feet from me and looking very surprised.  Glad I didn't take the dog out with me.

The turkey ran back out behind the barn and into the brush.  Maybe it will show up on the trailcam later!

on: Today at 12:20:49 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by BigRedDog
Just watching the 13ABC Toledo noon news while we eat lunch. 

They were just discussing the BonTon related closings and some of the impact locally.  They also mentioned that so far 'retail space' closings are occurring at a record pace for 2018.  I'll watch their website later and see if they have a link to that anywhere.

on: Today at 12:18:15 PM 
Started by SidecarFlip - Last post by BigRedDog
The township doesn't have the authority to enforce the ordinance that they are proposing so at the very least it will give them grounds to make a BIG stink if another well is proposed. That should draw attention to the process at that time and maybe keep oil drillers out of the area.
Chandler knows it's not enforceable but is Summerfields best option until legislation can be put in place for Karst areas like Monroe County. Chandler is very proactive and is basically the reason anybody else in the state is paying attention. If it wasn't for his efforts we would have a new disposal well up and running already !!

The good news is that it does not appear that they have hit anything but dry holes in the last couple of years. 

Sometimes it only takes one very motivated person to accomplish a lot!!!

on: Today at 11:47:26 AM 
Ida rescue was dispatched a bit ago to Lewis and M-50 for an elderly man acting strange.  The call came in through Onstar.  By the time Ida could get there the vehicle had left.  Onstar was tracking the vehicle and conveying the GPS co-ordinates to central who was then relaying the info to Ida.  At this point the vehicle has left the general area.

Hopefully any personal situation has also been taken care of. 

I haven't owned a GM vehicle for years so don't know what all Onstar can do.

Can Onstar determine a driver is behaving strange or would there have had to have been a person activating Onstar for this to have occured?

on: Today at 11:41:40 AM 
This thread is as close as I can think of to post this.

Big effort to re-introduce sturgeon into the Maumee River.  The Maumee is a major contributor to the algae blooms.  Not sure if there is any connection between the sturgeon going back in and the river getting cleaned up.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2018/04/16/Fall-2018-eyed-as-timeline-for-release-of-iconic-lake-sturgeon-into-the-Maumee-River.html

From above link:

on: Today at 11:15:45 AM 
After I posted this I got to thinking about how many different 'natural' disasters there are that could fall under this topic.

Using my sometimes friend 'Google' I found this neat document from Monroe County (and you wonder where all your tax dollar$$$ go) and it has this list:

Specific Hazards ... 37
1. Tornadoes ... 37
2. Flooding ... 48
3. Transportation Accidents ..................................................................................... 76
4. Hazardous Material Incidents .............................................................................. 78
5. Infrastructure Failures .......................................................................................... 80
6. Severe Winds ... 83
7. Ice and Sleet Storms ............................................................................................. 93
8. Lake Erie Shoreline Hazards ................................................................................ 97
9. Public Health Emergencies .................................................................................. 106
10. Lightning ... 108
11. Hail ... 113
12. Snowstorms ... 118
13. Subsidence ... 126
14. Drought ... 128
15-16. Extreme Temperatures (Hot and Cold) ......................................................... 137
17. Wildfires... 151
18. Earthquakes ... 152
19. Fog ... 154
20. Invasive Species ................................................................................................. 158
Terrorism and Similar Activities .............................................................................. 159
Miscellaneous Hazards ............................................................................................ 160

This looks fairly inclusive to me!

Above from:

http://cms.revize.com/revize/monroecounty/emergency%20management/Monroe%20Hazard%20Mitigation%20Plan%20Mar%202017%20edition.pdf

Note:  this is over 200 pages if you're on a slow or metered ISP.

Earthquakes was one of my first thoughts.  We do have them around here although they are often not even felt by everyone and seldom cause any notable damage. 

Back in the mid 80s I was working in Point Place but literally only feet from the state line.  I was working on a concrete floor and didn't feel a thing.  A couple of the gals were working upstairs and they came flying down the steps asking "what was that"? 

"I don't know...   I didn't notice anything unusual"!

We all stood there looking back and forth and thinking the others were crazy ;) ;) ;)

I did find this site that tracks quakes but not a lot of detail.  I'm guessing there is a better info source out there somewhere.

https://www.earthquaketrack.com/us-mi-monroe/recent

I did find this 1977 state document about historic quakes.  Interesting that one of the first words that jumped out at me is "Karst"...

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/GIMDL-CR14_216127_7.PDF

on: Today at 10:54:27 AM 
Started by SidecarFlip - Last post by Maverick
The township doesn't have the authority to enforce the ordinance that they are proposing so at the very least it will give them grounds to make a BIG stink if another well is proposed. That should draw attention to the process at that time and maybe keep oil drillers out of the area.
Chandler knows it's not enforceable but is Summerfields best option until legislation can be put in place for Karst areas like Monroe County. Chandler is very proactive and is basically the reason anybody else in the state is paying attention. If it wasn't for his efforts we would have a new disposal well up and running already !!

on: Today at 10:52:34 AM 
A personal family story from the 1985 flooding.  We had only lived down here a couple of years but had spent a lot of time getting around the area and especially the lakefront area in the county. 

One morning while it was storming we got a phone call from my Dad who was spending the winter in an RV park in Bradenton, Fl.  We had been there for Christmas and had an idea what they had for newspapers. 

Remember, this was in the time before cell phones were common and Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet so a newspaper was a necessity if you wanted to know what was going on. 

My Dad said that the entrance sign to Grandview Beach in LaSalle was on the front page of the local newspaper.  It showed the sign about half covered in water and it was accompanied by a few lines about the flooding on Lake Erie. 

My Dad's comment was he wondered just how many people in the Bradenton area even knew where Grandview Beach was.  There are plenty of people right here in Monroe that don't recognize the name much less the location.  It's just north of North Shores and Toledo Beach and on the south and east side of Otter Creek.  There is also a little confusion in that in Frenchtown there is a Grand Beach.  Close but not the same!!!

To make it even more confusing Grand Boulevard is not at either Grandview Beach or Grand Beach but rather is the main entrance to  Detroit Beach...

go figure that one!!!

But, Grand Beach does have a Grandview Drive!

Are you confused yet?  Imagine a stranger in town looking for someone before the days of GPS and cell phones.

Grandview Beach does have a Beach Street although it is not along the beach.  The main street in Grandview Beach is North Lakeshore which is really an extension of Lakeshore at North Shores...

at least they don't call that street 'South Lakeshore'!!!

on: Today at 09:40:38 AM 
As we've seen this past weekend the Lake Erie shoreline is prone to flooding under certain circumstances.  Here's an article from the MonroeNews that summarizes some of the more recent floods that have damaged the area.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180417/lake-erie-floods-of-1973-1985-and-1998

on: Today at 09:26:12 AM 
This looks like the 'end' of things at the local level. 

Now, how many years of appeals.

We happened to be able to watch the proceedings live and as Worley went on and on and on just rambling and denying everything it became more and more apparent that he is probably nuts...

and maybe that is what he was trying to establish!

http://nbc24.com/news/local/sierah-joughins-family-walks-out-of-courtroom-but-says-death-penalty-is-justice

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10