MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Miscellaneous

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 73   Go Down

Author Topic: Miscellaneous  (Read 163358 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: Miscellaneous
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2008, 07:53:46 AM »

Summary of Life

GREAT TRUTHS THAT LITTLE CHILDREN HAVE LEARNED:

1) No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.
2) When your Mum is mad at your Dad, don't let her brush your hair.
3) If your sister hits you, don't hit her back. They always catch the second person.
4) Never ask your 3-year old brother to hold a tomato.
5) You can't trust dogs to watch your food.
6) Don't sneeze when someone is cutting your hair.
7) Never hold a Dust-Buster and a cat at the same time.
8) You can't hide a piece of broccoli in a glass of milk.  (It looks like an 8+) = a smiley)
9) Don't wear polka-dot underwear under white shorts.
10) The best place to be, when you're sad, is Grandpa's lap.

GREAT TRUTHS THAT ADULTS HAVE LEARNED:

1) Raising teenagers is like nailing jelly to a tree.
2) Wrinkles don't hurt.
3) Families are like fudge.. mostly sweet, with a few nuts.
4) Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
5) Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.
6) Middle age is, when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

GREAT TRUTHS ABOUT GROWING OLD

1) Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
2) Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
3) When you fall down, you wonder what else you can do while you're down there.
4) You're getting old, when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.
5) It's frustrating, when you know all the answers but nobody bothers to ask you the questions.
6) Time may be a great healer, but it's a lousy beautician.
7) Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.

THE FOUR STAGES OF LIFE:

1) You believe in Santa Claus.
2) You don't believe in Santa Claus.
3) You are Santa Claus.
4) You look like Santa Claus.

SUCCESS:

At age 4 success is . . . . not! piddling in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 17 success is . . . having a drivers licence.
At age 35 success is . . . having money.
At age 50 success is . . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers licence.
At age 75 success is . . . having friends.
At age 80 success is . . not piddling in your pants.

Always remember to forget the troubles that pass your way.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2008, 01:18:16 AM »

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Lady Arbella

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2008, 01:20:53 AM »

If your dog doesn't like someone, you probably shouldn't either.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2008, 01:30:22 AM »

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2008, 08:38:41 PM »

In the 1400's a law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence we have "the rule of thumb"
-------------------------------------------
Many years ago in Scotland , a new game was invented. It was ruled "Gentlemen Only...Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.
The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.
Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the U.S . Treasury.
Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.
------------------------------------------
Coca-Cola was originally green.

It is impossible to lick your elbow.

The State with the highest percentage of people who walk to work:

Alaska

The percentage of Africa that is wilderness: 28% (now get this...)

------------------------------------------

The percentage of North Americ a that is wilderness: 38%

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $ 16,400

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The average number of people airborne over the U.S. in any given hour:

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer.

The San Francisco Cable cars are the only mobile National Monuments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history:

Spades - King David

Hearts - Charlemagne

Clubs -Alexander, the Great

Diamonds - Julius Caesar

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

Only two people signed the Declaration of Independenc e on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later.

Q. Half of all Americans live within 50 miles of what?

A. Their birthplace

Q. Most boat owners name their boats. What is the most popular boat name requested?

A. Obsession

Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter "A"?

A. One thousand

Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers all have in common?

A. All were invented by women.

Q. What is the only food that doesn't spoil?

A. Honey

Q. Which day are there more collect calls than any other day of the year?

A. Father's Day

----------------------------------------------------------

In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes.

When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase.. "goodnight, sleep tight."

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts... So in old England , when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them "Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down."

It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's"

Many years ago in England , pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the phrase inspired by this practice.

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!

Don't delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2008 when...

1. You accidentally enter your PIN on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
RETARDED GRANDPARENTS
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 11:08:40 AM »

(This was actually reported by a teacher)

After Christmas, a teacher asked her young pupils how they spent their holiday away from school.  One child wrote the following:

We always used to spend the holidays with Grandma and Grandpa. 
They used to live in a big brick house but Grandpa got retarded and they moved to Florida . 
Now they live in a tin box and have rocks painted green to look like grass. 
They ride around on their bicycles and wear name tags because they don't know who they are anymore. 
They go to a building called a wrecked center, but they must have got it fixed because it is all okay now, they do exercises there, but they don't do them very well. 
There is a swimming pool too, but they all jump up and down in it with hats on. 
At their gate, there is a doll house with a little old man sitting in it. 
He watches all day so nobody can escape. 
Sometimes they sneak out, and go cruising in their golf carts.
 Nobody there cooks, they just eat out.  And, they eat the same thing every night – early birds. 
Some of the people can't get out past the man in the doll house.  The ones who do get out, bring food back to the wrecked center for pot luck. 
My Grandma says that Grandpa worked all his life to earn his retardment and says I should work hard so I can be retarded someday too. 
When I earn my retardment, I want to be the man in the doll house. 
Then I will let people out, so they can visit their grandchildren.

PRICELESS . . .

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 11:09:49 AM »

Watch out! You nearly broad sided that car!" My father yelled at me.

"Can't you do anything right?"

Those words hurt worse than blows. I turned my head toward the elderly man in the seat beside me, daring me to challenge him. A lump rose in my throat as I averted my eyes. I wasn't prepared for another battle.

"I saw the car, Dad. Please don't yell at me when I'm driving." My voice was measured and steady, sounding far calmer than I really felt.

Dad glared at me, then turned away and settled back At home I left Dad in front of the television and went outside to collect my thoughts.

Dark, heavy clouds hung in the air with a promise of rain. The rumble of distant thunder seemed to echo my inner turmoil.

What could I do about him?

Dad had been a lumberjack in Washington and Oregon. He had enjoyed being outdoors and had reveled in pitting his strength against the forces of nature. He had entered grueling lumberjack competitions, and had placed often. The shelves in his house were filled with trophies that attested to his prowess.

The years marched on relentlessly. The first time he couldn't lift a heavy log, he joked about it; but later that same day I saw him outside alone, straining to lift it. He became irritable whenever anyone teased him about his advancing age, or when he couldn't do something he had done as a younger man.

Four days after his sixty-seventh birthday, he had a heart attack. An ambulance sped him to the hospital while a paramedic administered CPR to keep blood and oxygen flowing. At the hospital, Dad was rushed into an operating room. He was lucky; he survived.

But something inside Dad died. His zest for life was gone. He obstinately refused to follow doctor's orders. Suggestions and offers of help were turned aside with sarcasm and insults. The number of visitors thinned, then finally stopped altogether. Dad was left alone.

My husband, Dick, and I asked Dad to come live with us on our small farm. We hoped the fresh air and rustic atmosphere would help him adjust. Within a week after he moved in, I regretted the invitation. It seemed nothing was satisfactory. He criticized everything I did. I became frustrated and moody. Soon I was taking my pent-up anger out on Dick. We began to bicker and argue. Alarmed, Dick sought out our pastor and explained the situation. The clergyman set up weekly counseling appointments for us. At the close of each session he prayed, asking God to soothe Dad's troubled mind. But the months wore on and God was silent. Something had to be done and it was up to me to do it.

The next day I sat down with the phone book and methodically called each of the mental health clinics listed in the Yellow Pages. I explained my problem to each of the sympathetic voices that answered.

In vain. Just when I was givin g up hope, one of the voices suddenly exclaimed, "I just read something that might help you! Let me go get the article." I listened as she read. The article described a remarkable study done at a nursing home. All of the patients were under treatment for chronic depression. Yet their attitudes had improved dramatically when they were given responsibility for a dog.

I drove to the animal shelter that afternoon. After I filled out a questionnaire, a uniformed officer led me to the kennels. The odor of disinfectant stung my nostrils as I moved down the row of pens. Each contained five to seven dogs. Long-haired dogs, curly-haired dogs, black dogs, spotted dogs jumped up, trying to reach me. I studied each one but rejected one after the other for various reasons - too big, too small, too much hair. As I neared the last pen a dog in the shadows of the far corner struggled to his feet, walked to the front of the run and sat down. It was a pointer, one of the dog world's aristocrats. But this was a caricature of the breed. Years had etched his face and muzzle with shades of gray. His hipbones jutted out in lopsided triangles. But it was his eyes that caught and held my attention. Calm and clear, they beheld me unwaveringly.

I pointed to the dog. "Can you tell me about him?" The officer looked, then shook his head in puzzlement.

"He's a funny one. Appeared out of nowhere and sat in front of the gate. We brought him in, figuring someone would be right down to claim him. That was two weeks ago and we've heard nothing. His time is up tomorrow." He gestured helplessly.

As the words sank in I turned to the man in horror. "You mean you're going to kill him?"

"Ma'am," he said gently, "that's our policy. We don't have room for every unclaimed dog."

I looked at the pointer again. The calm brown eyes awaited my decision. "I'll take him," I said.

I drove home with the dog on the front seat beside me. When I reached the house I honked the horn twice. I was helping my prize out of the car when Dad shuffled onto the front porch.

"Ta-da! Look what I got for you, Dad!" I said excitedly.

Dad looked, then wrinkled his face in disgust. "If I had wanted a dog I would have gotten one. And I would have picked out a better specimen than that bag of bones Keep it! I don't want it" Dad waved his arm scornfully and turned back toward the house.

Anger rose inside me. It squeezed together my throat muscles and pounded into my temples.

"You'd better get used to him, Dad. He's staying!" Dad ignored me.

"Did you hear me, Dad?" I screamed. At those words Dad whirled angrily, his hands clenched at his sides, his eyes narrowed and blazing with hate.

We stood glaring at each other like duelists, when suddenly the pointer pulled free from my grasp. He wobbled toward my dad and sat down in front of him. Then slowly, carefully, he raised his paw.

Dad's lower jaw trembled as he stared at the uplifted paw. Confusion replaced the anger in his eyes. The pointer waited patiently. Then Dad was on his knees hugging the animal.

It was the beginning of a warm and intimate friendship. Dad named the pointer Cheyenne. Together he and Cheyenne explored the community. They spent long hours walking down dusty lanes. They spent reflective moments on the banks of streams, angling for tasty trout. They even started to attend Sunday services together, Dad sitting in a pew and Cheyenne lying quietly at his feet.

Dad and Cheyenne were inseparable throughout the next three years.

Dad's bitterness faded, and he and Cheyenne made many friends. Then late one night I was startled to feel Cheyenne's cold nose burrowing through our bed covers. He had never before come into our bedroom at night. I woke Dick, put on my robe and ran into my father's room. Dad lay in his bed, his face serene. But his spirit had left quietly sometime during the night.

Two days later my shock and grief deepened when I discovered Cheyenne lying dead beside Dad's bed. I wrapped his still form in the rag rug he had slept on. As Dick and I buried him near a favorite fishing hole, I silently thanked the dog for the help he had given me in restoring Dad's peace of mind.

The morning of Dad's funeral dawned overcast and dreary. This day looks like the way I feel, I thought, as I walked down the aisle to the pews reserved for family. I was surprised to see the many friends Dad and Cheyenne had made filling the church. The pastor began his eulogy. It was a tribute to both Dad and the dog who had changed his life And then the pastor turned to Hebrews 13:2 "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers."

"I've often thanked God for sending that angel," he said.

For me, the past dropped into place, completing a puzzle that I had not seen before: the sympathetic voice that had just read the right article...

Cheyenne's unexpected appearance at the animal shelter. . .his calm acceptance and complete devotion to my father. . and the proximity of their deaths. And suddenly I understood. I knew that God had answered my prayers after all.

Life is too short for drama & petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly.

Live While You Are Alive.

Tell the people you love that you love them, at every opportunity.

Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

And if you don't send this to at least 4 people - who cares?

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2008, 12:17:43 AM »

DRINK, STEAL, SWEAR & LIE

I met this guy while I was in Albuquerque and he has
a motto he lives by everyday. He said listen carefully and
live by these 4 rules: Drink, Steal, Swear, & Lie.

I was shaking my head 'no', but he then told me to listen
while he explained his four rules. So here they are:

1.. "Drink" from the "everlasting cup" every day.

2.. "Steal" a moment to help someone that is in worse shape
 than you are.

3.. "Swear" that you will be a better person today than
 yesterday.

4.. And last, but not least, when you "lie" down at night
 thank God you live in America and have freedom.

I am not as good as I should be,  I am not as good
as I could be.   but THANK GOD
 I am better than I used to be !

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »

DRINK, STEAL, SWEAR & LIE

I am not as good as I should be,  I am not as good
as I could be.   but THANK GOD
 I am better than I used to be !

That might make a pretty good "signature line" FF ;) ;)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 10:21:41 AM »

This form letter is to inform the misinformed about the
formation of a new Forms Forum that is forming. The formal platform of the Forms Forum is to perform reforms for the deformed forms formed by the former Forms Forum.

All forms formed before the former Forms Forum formed must now conform to the reformed formula that is to be used for formulating preformed forms (However, any form not reformed by the Forms Forum may stay in whatever form it was formed in).

All future forms formed after the formation of the new Forms Forum must conform to all reformed formulas as well as all  formulas formerly formed by the former Forms Forum.

If this formidable form has left you uninformed, please form a line at the forms desk to file a form for the former form which was formed to keep you further informed.

Sincerely,

The Fformer Foreman of the Forms Forum

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2008, 03:18:01 PM »

Strange Animal Laws
Part 1

· There is a law in Oak Park, IL that prohibits roosters from crowing  before 6 a.m.

· In Louisiana, it is illegal to wear an alligator costume.

· In Alaska, strong penalties exist for allowing huskies inside school buildings.

· Pets are prohibited from "snarling" or "growling" at police, mail, or pizza delivery persons. At Anglo-American common law, the offending pet would be dressed up like a human and publically executed.

· Dogs are prohibited from flying a kite on most public beaches.

· Mississippi has laws against "rowdy cats" who freely roam the city limits. If the owner can be located, he or she may be placed in jail along with his or her cat.

· National Park Service laws do not allow anyone to kill a bear with their bare hands just to impress a girl.

· In Kingsville, Texas, there is a law against two pigs having sex on the city's airport property.

· A law in Fairbanks, Alaska, does not allow moose to have sex on city streets.

· It is against the law in most places to give fast-food french fries to park animals.

· You can't kill a squirrel with a gun in a courtroom in Canton, Mississippi.

· In Hazelhurst you'll get in trouble if you carry fish down the
street.

· In Atlanta it's against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or a street lamp.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2008, 03:24:53 AM »

You know your life sucks when...

- A black cat crosses you path and drops dead.
     - You take an assertiveness training course and you're afraid to tell your wife.
     - The candles on your cake set off your smoke alarm.
     - Your chauffeur is on parole for car theft.
     - You have to take out a loan just to get money for the down payment.
     - Your children's school calls to surrender.
     - The bride's family throws rocks instead of rice.
     - Your wife wraps your lunch in a road map.
     - Your plants do better when you don't talk to them.
     - All your modeling jobs are for cartoonists.
     - Your engagement ring is, upon closer inspection, plastic.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

illuminerie

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2008, 03:37:33 AM »

Lol. Oh, man. If I showed this to my neices they'd never use the toilet again.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2008, 12:48:50 PM »

Snow and ice spread across the Ohio Valley on Tuesday, closing schools, knocking out power for thousands of homes, and causing an epidemic of that dreaded disease, snowphobia.
Symptoms of snowphobia:
      > excessive sweating in the presence of tire chains.
     > an overwhelming urge to sing "Prestone, Prestone, who needs Prestone?"
     > sleeping with your galoshes on.   

Brian McNamee told Congress he injected Roger Clemens's wife with Human Growth Hormone as well as Roger Clemens with steroids.
This investigation is far from over.
Their family dog is a St. Bernard but when they bought it, it was a Maltese.

At the Grammys, the Foo Fighters won best rock album.
Those Foo Fighters are hard workers, they fight more Foo before Nine A.M. than most people fight all day.

The U.S. population will soar to 438 million by 2050 according to projections released Monday by the Pew Research Center.
Apparently, another hidden impact of the writers’ strike

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 73   Go Up