MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Tesla

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tesla  (Read 1926 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Tesla
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »

Part of the FCI fleet operating out of Toledo converted to natural gas awhile ago.  Now all gone..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 05:35:24 PM »

Must be a lot of money in carbonated beverages...

UPS went that route (electric delivery vans) didn't pan out too well.    Could you imagine an electric semi tractor up here with all the road salt and cacl.  All of that stuff with water makes an excellent conductor and it's corrosive too.

18 wheeled toaster...

I believe you're thinking back to when UPS tried some hybrid vehicles.  A big difference between hybrids and pure electric. 

There's been some major improvements in batteries just in the last year or two so don't be surprised to see UPS 'revisit' the hybrid concept at some point in the future.  Right now they seem pretty satisfied with their current fleet of electrics though!

Both of these articles are from just a month ago:

https://electrek.co/2017/11/10/ups-converting-battery-electric-delivery-trucks-new-york/

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/10/ups-is-converting-diesel-trucks-to-electric-for-nyc-deliveries/

One more article:

http://mashable.com/2017/11/10/ups-coverting-diesel-trucks-to-electric/#u4AdUscjkmqL
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:38:40 PM by BigRedDog »
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »

Different yes.  Principle the same.  The electrical systems were the issues, not the mechanical systems.  Road salt, chemical de-icers and CaCl are hell on electrical systems and Tesla is no exception.  They all use the same Molex and physical connections and are all prone to water and corrosion shorting....

and Tesla's QC is questionable anyway.

Glad I'm not in the market for a remote polluting plug in electric vehicle of any kind.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2017, 08:40:07 AM »

Don't know if they are satisified (UPS) with their fleet of hybrids.  I'd say it's more like saving face and 'appearing satisified' for the public more than anything else.  They (UPS Hybrids) seem to spend a lot of time in the shop (Freightiner), getting worked on.

In actuality, I don't care.  No hybrid crap in my driveway and will never be either.  If I want a toaster I'll get a 2 slice.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 10:08:58 AM »

Different yes.  Principle the same.  The electrical systems were the issues, not the mechanical systems.  Road salt, chemical de-icers and CaCl are hell on electrical systems and Tesla is no exception.  They all use the same Molex and physical connections and are all prone to water and corrosion shorting....

and Tesla's QC is questionable anyway.

Glad I'm not in the market for a remote polluting plug in electric vehicle of any kind.

Every vehicle you own or drive already has a fairly complicated electrical 'system'. 

With modern OEM battery technology I'm typically seeing up to 7 years of life on an original battery. 

The last starter I changed was at around the 120,000 mile (9 years hanging down in all the good stuff you're describing) mark. 

That same vehicle needed an alternator at only 100,000 miles.  It was probably just a $7.00 set of brushes but it made more sense just to swap it out with a rebuilt under the circumstances.

Neither the starter or the alternator on that vehicle were anything but 90's technology plain old Ford 'technology'!!!

Only time will tell I guess.

I see FoMoCo is working on an electric F150. 

A lot of people don't realize that the first automobiles were all electric powered.  An electric motor is very simple while a comparable powered gasoline engine is 'very' complicated.

Many electrics back in the 1800s and they were actually 'killed' by Henry Ford's ability to build a lower cost vehicle.

Here's a quote from a great resource:

Many innovators take note of the electric car’s high demand, exploring ways to improve the technology. For example, Thomas Edison thought electric vehicles were the superior mode of transportation and worked to build a better battery.

Lots more on early electric vehicles at:

https://energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »

No one’s quality is braggable these days. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »

No one’s quality is braggable these days.

Thats the truth.  Build 'em cheap, stack 'em deep and sell them high...

BRD.  Back in the day wintertime was basically sodium chloride on the roads...and hot sand.  That's changed with brine, liquid CaCl and other corrosive chemicals that attack electrical systems.  One thing I always do is, I get into all my electrical connectors and fill them with di-electric grease.  At leas that keeps out the water and chemicals and prevents corrosion at least for a while.

No, I'm not buying a toaster on wheels, you can if you want.  Not me.  Electric vehicles are a 'feel good' thing' for greenies.  Problem is, the power still comes from basically a pollution emitting powerplant.

I saw a solar powered RV ar a show last fall.  It was covered with thin film panels and only had a 50 mile range.  That don't work, at all.  Concept is good.  Technology isn't there yet and when it gets there, the price (like a Tesla) is prohibitive.

Rest assured, that alternator is crapping because of the de-icer it's inhaling as you drive down the road.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 09:29:07 AM »

Interesting expose on the Tesla  "branding" - where they really aren't breaking new ground in Manufacturing - but have people think they are - and they take shortcuts and quality issues are popping up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/12/05/how-tesla-manufacturing-compares-to-other-auto-makers/#44109dfb3169
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »

Thats the same business plan the DeLorean had
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 04:34:04 PM »

Thats the same business plan the DeLorean had

We all know what happened to DeLorean..

Back to the Future...lol

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »

Forbes don't like my ad blocker so I cannot read it.  All I can say is pizz on Forbes.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2017, 05:45:35 PM »

Interesting expose on the Tesla  "branding" - where they really aren't breaking new ground in Manufacturing - but have people think they are - and they take shortcuts and quality issues are popping up.

Not a good company, and not a good owner.

Elon likes firing people who tell him what he doesn't want to hear.

What is the outcome of this?

Inexperienced youngsters I know who were pretty unexceptional engineers have went to Tesla - cause California is cool and they don't want to buy houses anyway - and they land in rolls where they are the "expert" or Chief Engineer in their area - with only a year or two experience at our company.  They then call back to their "friends" and ask what they should do for xyz.  Sorry dude - you work for a competitor, we can talk about the Lions if you want - but I'm not going to give you technical answers anymore.  Now - once I retire in a few years you can pay me as a consultant - and I'll answer all the questions you want me to.

That is not a good formula for building a large number of high quality vehicles with a low number of recalls.

But - what do I know?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2017, 10:40:03 PM »

Like I said, won't be piloting a 50 grand toaster anytime soon.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »

I think anyone who frequents this site pretty well knows that.

It's a personal preference!  I doubt I will ever have one either but perhaps would if my driving habits worked with the lower end battery options.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »

I think anyone who frequents this site pretty well knows that.

(really...lol)

It's a personal preference!  I doubt I will ever have one either but perhaps would if my driving habits worked with the lower end battery options.

I can well afford one if I wanted one and I'd pay cash but I don't want a toaster.  I'm a carbon footprint at the source person.

Just like I'd never buy a Tier 4 final diesel pickup truck.  Too much emissions garbage built with lowest bidder components.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up