MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Media & Entertainment > I heard the strangest call on the scanner!

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47   Go Down

Author Topic: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!  (Read 44656 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: I heard the strangest call on the scanner!
« Reply #675 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »

Does it know when you're asleep?

That is what the initial call sounded like...   

that it was Onstar that had somehow decided the driver was having medical issues of some kind.  I never did hear where any department had intercepted him so hopefully he got wherever he was going ok and won't be back out driving until his issues are resolved.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #676 on: May 10, 2018, 11:09:05 AM »

It happened again yesterday at Meijer in Frenchtown Township. 

A call for a 2 year old child locked in the car! 

I do not understand how someone does this. 

We raised three children and neither one of us ever locked the car with anyone left in it!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #677 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »

I didn't actually hear this on the scanner (too far up I-75) but a bunch of first responders had to deal with it.  In all the middle of the night calls out on I-75 or US-10 I ever responded to I never worried too much about it. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2018/05/semi_hauling_8_bengal_tigers_c.html

I never did read where the tigers had been or even exactly where they are heading.  I did talk to a guy that is sure he saw the truck going through Toledo the day after the crash.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #678 on: May 20, 2018, 11:17:37 AM »

I guess actually none of these were particularly strange calls although a vehicle colliding with a house is still a bit unique. 

I've always found it interesting how the number and intensity of various fire calls occur. 

Yesterday was one of those unique afternoons.  There had been the average calls over the course of the day but overall fairly quiet.

Then a dispatch went out for a vehicle hitting a house in LaSalle and the house and the vehicle were now on fire.  There was a little extra confusion as apparently the LaSalle Chief happened onto the scene while central dispatch was in the process of dispatching the call. 

Then just a few minutes later Erie gets a call a block from their station for a vehicle crash.  It was on the Dixie which is also where the LaSalle call was (corner of Dixie and W. Stein).  Both being on Dixie complicated additional responders being able to just drive up or down the Dixie. 

Somewhere in the string there was a motorcycle crash on Telegraph at CarletonRockwood and then a call that started off in LMR's area but ended up in Exeter.  Original call was for Sumpter at Bluebush but it ended up being several miles north of Bluebush on Sumpter.  No idea how the confusion occurred but this is a perfect example of 'why' a better mapping system for central dispatch would pay off for everyone!  In this case there was probably at least a delay of several minutes for getting help to the victims. 

We drove by the house in LaSalle and I was really surprised to see it still standing and not with as much damage as I expected.  A great response from LaSalle and MonroeTown on that one.  The house was a two story home and probably over a hundred years old.  Most likely balloon framing which creates a series of chimneys to carry the fire from the basement right on up to the attic.  I've often wondered if maybe the house had been a little country store back in the early automobile days.  It looks like there may have been an 'island' for a fuel pump at one time. 

It seems like there were actually couple of other medical calls all thrown into a short timeframe.  This all happened in about as long as it took me to type it (I don't type fast). 

The staff at central dispatch did an excellent job of dealing with some frustrating situations all back to back to back!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #679 on: June 04, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »

Dundee had a call this morning for a tractor 'upside down' out off of Bigelow Road.  The caller was able to check and make sure there was no one pinned or even around. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #680 on: June 10, 2018, 08:28:19 AM »

Two calls overnight for people just laying along the road (not in the driving lane from what I heard on the dispatch). 

Must be the nice weather!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #681 on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »

I was just getting on to post that most of the fireworks were over and I hadn't heard a single call on the scanner for any issues and just now they're toning out Whiteford and Erie to assist Bedford on a structure fire on Secor road near Smith.  They suspect if may have been ignited by fireworks!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #682 on: July 04, 2018, 11:13:36 PM »

Frenchtown had a house fire earlier tonight that was started by a window AC unit. 

I don't think I ever heard of one catching fire. 

I've been to a few houses where something was smoking in the AC (central) unit but never saw one burn.

Last summer I cleaned the 'roof' air on the camper and once I got into it I did find a deflector that was molded from polystyrene beads.  I thought then about the possibility of that block catching fire and then all that air blowing right on it and blowing the smoke right back into the camper.  I did some googling and it doesn't seem to be a big recurring issue.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #683 on: July 05, 2018, 08:19:22 AM »

With RV ac units, when they overheat, they trip the breaker.  Never wanted an RV I cannot store in the garage in the off season.  Mine goes in the garage all winter.  Granted, it's somewhat a PITA to get in but, even if I had a motor home, I would have a garage to keep it in.  They hold up so much better when stored inside.

Mine is 4 years old and looks brand new.

Weathering is the number one enemy of any RV, especially to the seals and leaking seals and rot is the number one destroyer of all RV's.  I'd never buy a used one simply because most all used RV's are leaking and rotting.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #684 on: July 05, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »

With RV ac units, when they overheat, they trip the breaker.  Never wanted an RV I cannot store in the garage in the off season.  Mine goes in the garage all winter.  Granted, it's somewhat a PITA to get in but, even if I had a motor home, I would have a garage to keep it in.  They hold up so much better when stored inside.

Mine is 4 years old and looks brand new.

Weathering is the number one enemy of any RV, especially to the seals and leaking seals and rot is the number one destroyer of all RV's.  I'd never buy a used one simply because most all used RV's are leaking and rotting.

I spent a couple of decades in the boat service business and the main difference between an RV and a boat is that most boats float and most RVs don't (there are some exceptions). 

Marine AC units use the water to cool the air.  Much more efficient although they're much more expensive. 

My approach to buying used cars and used RVs and practically anything used is to look it over closely and check for the common 'high wear' points. 

I can drive a vehicle for 5 miles and have a pretty good idea what the condition of the suspension is.  Then I put it up on the hoist and give it a close inspection. 

Then negotiate price from there.  I've had dealers drop to 'my price' once I pointed out what some issues were. 

Not much I can't fix (not big on body work and my paint jobs have been known to have a run or a curtain or two but I can get the paint on!!! 

Towable RVs don't have odometers so just look at the axle and spring connections and you can get a pretty good idea how many miles are on the chassis. 

A big movement right now of people restoring some of the original RV camping trailers from back in the 50s.  Some of them look like someone put some lipstick on a pig but some of they are top notch and probably higher quality than some of the lower price products being built today.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #685 on: July 05, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »

Did you hear anything about the guy that drove his pickup way off the road on Sterns yesterday and killed a young brother and sister that were in the yard?  Seems almost deliberate for some reason.   And 2 people riding in the truck ran away from the scene.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #686 on: July 05, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »

Did you hear anything about the guy that drove his pickup way off the road on Sterns yesterday and killed a young brother and sister that were in the yard?  Seems almost deliberate for some reason.   And 2 people riding in the truck ran away from the scene.

I posted about it over in the 'morning news' thread.  Very strange.  I'm thinking he had some kind of a session where he passed out.  If he had the truck on 'cruise control' then it was going to maintain that speed until it hit something solid.  Hard to know if his riders had anything to do with what happened to him but it sure looks suspicious at this point.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #687 on: July 06, 2018, 08:52:23 AM »

Higher than 'normal' suicide intervention calls in the heat wave lately. 

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #688 on: July 06, 2018, 10:12:18 AM »

Still seems to be unsolved case on Sterns road.  I haven't heard about any witnesses coming forward or whether authorities caught up with the 2 that fled.  i read on Facebook i think that someone in Monroe reported they saw the truck earlier and he was driving erratically.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #689 on: July 08, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »

I just caught part of a dispatch on the scanner...

a leaking anhydrous ammonia tank.  I heard "main street' in the dispatch so I'm thinking in Maybee.

There were a few calls last week for them leaking but those were most leakly over pressurization from the heat wave.

It's fairly cool this morning so wouldn't be surprised someone was stealing ammonia overnight. 

For those not aware they use the ammonia for making one of the illicit street 'drugs'...   right now I don't remember which one it is.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47   Go Up