MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Monroe County Crimes in the News this Morning

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe County Crimes in the News this Morning  (Read 46103 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Monroe County Crimes in the News this Morning
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 09:02:17 AM »

I'm already bored of this.

Much less crime in Monroe undoubtedly.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/25/man-buys-heroin-front-mom/

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/24/armed-robber-leaves-behind-his-wallet/

Lucky I'd already seen the article on the robber leaving his ID behind or I would have lost my coffee ;D ;D ;D

That one probably belongs in the 'only in Monroe' thread!!!

He was obviously the 'understudy' in this ring...

and his 'teacher' wasn't very good ;D ;D ;D
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 10:15:56 AM »

I am appalled that local LE and the MEN elect to misrepresent and ignore we have a problem in this community.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 10:55:22 AM »

It shows the level of education these druggies probably have...

If it wasn't a serious criminal event it would be funny.   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »

To say that crime is not on the increase is delusional.

To say that people in this community are "whining" is an insult.

To ignore what is currently happening around town will have repercussions that will change Monroe forever and not in a good way.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 11:12:39 AM »

To ignore what is currently happening around town will have repercussions that will change Monroe forever and not in a good way.

I'm sure there are plenty of statistics to 'prove' there has been no increase in crime...

it's often a matter of 'choosing' which statistics to use in your 'proof'...

thus my question as to which area of the City the Police Chief resides in...

feedback from friends, neighbors, family is often taken into consideration when determining how 'bad' things are!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »

It's a HUGE insult, Billy!

I don't know how anyone, be it local LE or MEN, that has any degree of professional integrity and responsible for good reporting can state otherwise. 

Back home it's commonly referred to headupyourass disease.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 05:48:19 PM »

Looks like he might not make it to work this week!!!

next week isn't looking too good either...

in fact I'm thinking his boss should probably start looking for a replacement ;D ;D ;D

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/26/armed-robbers-get-250000-bonds/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 06:05:54 PM »

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 06:07:28 PM »

Sweet neck tattoo.

At least Bubba will have something to hold on to!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 06:30:43 AM »

And another one should track those that have been solved   ;)

Here's another one to add to the 'solved' file ;) ;) ;)

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/26/parolee-admits-six-monroe-business-burglaries/

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:06 AM »

Here's another one to add to the 'solved' file ;) ;) ;)

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/26/parolee-admits-six-monroe-business-burglaries/

I guess that idea of parole and rehabilitation doesn't apply to addictive drug users...   8*

Whatever happened to the 3 strikes law?   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 03:38:57 PM »

I guess that idea of parole and rehabilitation doesn't apply to addictive drug users...   8*

Whatever happened to the 3 strikes law?
Several states still have that TSL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-strikes_law

Controversial results
In California, up until 2011, shoplifting and other forms of minor theft could qualify as felony petty theft if the person who committed the crime had a prior conviction of any form of theft, including robbery or burglary, and had served time in prison for that offense. In 2011 the law was changed to require three prior theft related convictions before a petty theft could be charged as a felony.

As a result, some defendants have been given sentences of 25 years to life in prison for crimes that might usually be considered outside the scope of such severe sentencing. Gary Ewing was sentenced to a life sentence for shoplifting golf clubs, after previously being convicted of burglary, and armed robbery.
Jerry Dewayne Williams' was sentenced to a life sentence for violent assault and stealing a slice of pepperoni pizza, after previous convictions for robbery and attempted robbery. A judge later reduced his sentence to six years.

In California, first and second strikes are counted by individual charges rather than individual cases, so a defendant may have been charged and convicted of "first and second strikes" arising from a single case, even one that was disposed of prior to the passage of the law. Convictions from all 50 states and the federal courts at any point in the defendant's past, including juvenile offenses, can qualify as strikes for the purpose of the three-strikes law. It is up to the prosecutor's discretion how many charges to levy against a defendant for a single criminal event.

Defendants already convicted of two or more "strike" charges arising from one single case, have been charged and convicted with a third strike for any felony (including "felony petty theft" or possession of a controlled substance prior to Proposition 36) and given 25 years to life. In the California Supreme Court decision People vs. Garcia, 1999, the Court withdrew residential burglary from the juvenile strike list. For a juvenile residential burglary to count it must also be adjudicated in combination with another felony such as armed robbery.

It is possible for a defendant to be charged and convicted with multiple "third strikes" in a single case, or for multiple "third" strikes to arise from a single criminal act (or omission). As a result, a defendant may be given two or more separate sentences that run consecutively,
Three-strikes sentences have prompted harsh criticism not only within the United States but from outside the country as well. Within California, criticism has come from organizations such as Families to Amend California's Three Strikes (FACTS). The Stanford Law School Three Strikes Project is working to reverse life sentences imposed for non-violent, minor felonies.[citation needed] Enforcement of the provision differs from county to county in California. For instance, former Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley did not pursue third strike convictions against offenders whose felony was non-violent or non-serious in nature.

The judicial flexibility of the court system at the judge’s discretion has been increasingly limited with the passing of this bill. The judges now are forced to implement certain judicial action regardless of their beliefs on what that outcome of the trial should be. This causes the natural protective safeguards ensured to individuals has been more willingly disregarded in the court system. This became increasingly evident in the O.J. Simpson trial where debate occurred on whether to change the rules of jury to allow them to be able to permit a non-unanimous verdict in criminal trials. The cost implications behind the Three-Strikes Law have also come to be very controversial, especially in the area of education. The Three-Strikes Law has required more funding from the state, money that is progressively taking more funding away from education. This leads to a less well-educated population over time, which leads to further problems within the community. The funding for this law will mainly be taken away from college education, but also from other state services such as controlling environmental pollution and regulating insurance, all negatively impacting the future of the state.

In 2009, the reported annual cost of one average prisoner was around $25,900, while the reported cost of an elderly prisoner was around $9,000 a year with both cost rising with each progressing year. This leads to the area of age in relation to this law, for although it is often overlooked it is a major factor in the overall effectiveness of the Three-Strike law policies. The longevity of the prison sentences of those convicted by the Three-Strikes law makes the prison population increasingly older aged individuals. The longer sentences causes increases in costs with not only the increased time in prison, but also because old age bring more need of medical care which the prisons have to pay. Also, crime may be considered to decrease as a person ages, placing many people in prison who may no longer need to be contained, leading to increased costs and less space for criminals who more desperately need to be locked up. Overall the Three-Strikes law has not proven its effectiveness in the reduction of crime, but actually seems to prove the opposition. The Three-Strikes law had been associated with “10-12 percent more homicides in the short run and 23-29 percent in the long run.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-strikes_law
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 04:39:29 PM »

Gary Ewing was sentenced to a life sentence for shoplifting golf clubs, after previously being convicted of burglary, and armed robbery.

Stealing Golf clubs should be a major offense  ;D

I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fact he had already been involved with "Armed Robbery"...     
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 10:13:53 PM »

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/30/man-and-two-women-arrested-attempted-theft-monroe-/

Stealing metal carts for "scrap"...   not the smartest thing, but doing it with "team"... of people with arrest warrants makes one wonder what they were thinking?
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2015, 07:38:40 AM »

Apparently this guy was really, really upset about the low price of gas...

I would have thought he would have pulled this back when some of the stations were so high!!!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/31/man-threatens-blow-monroe-gas-station/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50   Go Up