MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Aid lags in hurricane-torn Puerto Rico

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Aid lags in hurricane-torn Puerto Rico  (Read 8130 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Aid lags in hurricane-torn Puerto Rico
« on: September 27, 2017, 02:32:45 PM »

I think I mentioned our mail gal in Florida is from Puerto Rico within the last 4-5 years.  When I left FL Hurricane Maria was just getting started on it's thorough battering of the island.  I had left her my contact info and made her promise to let me know when she found out anything about her family which still lives in PR.  I had about decided she was not going to respond or she had bad news but yesterday afternoon late I got a text from her saying she had finally heard from some of her family and all of them had survived the storm.  She didn't go into much detail but obviously according to the attached and most of the other news stories I'm seeing things are not good there and probably won't be back to 'normal' for a long time.  Even 'normal' there is certainly a step or two below the level of living which we experience here. 

http://www.monroenews.com/zz/news/20170927/aid-lags-in-hurricane-torn-puerto-rico
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Aid lags in hurricane-torn Puerto Rico
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 06:36:20 PM »

I have a friend that just returned from his 3rd mission trip to Hatti..Hes wondering what happened to the hundreds of millions the Clinton Foundation collected to help them.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 06:50:24 PM »

Those Administrative Fees really put a dent in what went to Haiti.

You need to pay all those people, and you need stuff to support a foundation!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 09:23:08 PM »

I've been at one of our plants in South Carolina on a new equipment installation project that the company just allowed 3 Puerto Rican brothers time off to get home to find family members they have not been able to reach through normal communication. I wished them well.....good guys, hard workers.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »

From the news pictures, there isn't much left there.  No power, no water, no food, no gasoline no communications...  very bad.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 10:32:57 AM »

From the news pictures, there isn't much left there.  No power, no water, no food, no gasoline no communications...  very bad.

Very interesting that it appears cell phone communications were one of the first on your list to be back up and running.  I'm guessing they built their towers to handle hurricane strength winds and must have generators at most if not all of their facilities. 

Communications is absolute key in any type of structured operation whether it be military or civilian.  Military used to rely entirely on radio but it appears they are utilizing cellular type more and more.

I recall in 1970 part of my duties were to drive over to a particular tracked PC and wait for the local weather maps to be transmitted from wherever (not sure if the Army had their own team of meteorologists or relied on civilian talent).  Seems like the rolls of paper were 30-32" wide and took maybe a half hour on some of them to transmit.  What I didn't realize until much later in life is that this was one of the original fax machines. 

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »

I see the media is trying to blame Trump for a slow response to making PR whole again.  It's not like our emergency response groups are setting around doing nothing..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 10:49:04 AM »

Very interesting that it appears cell phone communications were one of the first on your list to be back up and running.  I'm guessing they built their towers to handle hurricane strength winds and must have generators at most if not all of their facilities. 

Communications is absolute key in any type of structured operation whether it be military or civilian.  Military used to rely entirely on radio but it appears they are utilizing cellular type more and more.

I recall in 1970 part of my duties were to drive over to a particular tracked PC and wait for the local weather maps to be transmitted from wherever (not sure if the Army had their own team of meteorologists or relied on civilian talent).  Seems like the rolls of paper were 30-32" wide and took maybe a half hour on some of them to transmit.  What I didn't realize until much later in life is that this was one of the original fax machines.

Just to clarify for those without a military background...

In the Army a 'PC' is a 'personnel carrier'.  In this particular case an armored personnel carrier is modified to contain various communications equipment.  The 'tell tale' on the exterior is usually multiple antennas. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 10:53:04 AM »

I see the media is trying to blame Trump for a slow response to making PR whole again.  It's not like our emergency response groups are setting around doing nothing..

No, they're not doing 'nothing' but they could be doing a 'lot' more if they actually had some supplies to work with. 

I also question him not being able to do his 'photo opportunity' tour until next Tuesday...   the Hurricane hit there a week ago and he's not showing up until 'next' week...   that certainly doesn't sound like he's making efforts there a 'high' priority!!!

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »

They had something like 1500 cell towers and 1200 of them are blown down. That's going to take a while to get over.
On St Croix somebody stole one of the backup generators for an ATT tower. It's a federal offense but miraculously the generator showed back up 3 days later. Unfortunately for the criminal he forgot to wipe it for fingerprints and will probably be visiting a local prison some time soon.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

old salt

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »

No, they're not doing 'nothing' but they could be doing a 'lot' more if they actually had some supplies to work with. 

I also question him not being able to do his 'photo opportunity' tour until next Tuesday...   the Hurricane hit there a week ago and he's not showing up until 'next' week...   that certainly doesn't sound like he's making efforts there a 'high' priority!!!

Pretty lame for you BRD.  What does DJT going there have to do with the price of eggs?

https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2017/09/dont-blame-federal-government-for.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/28/aid-trickling-into-puerto-rico-but-thousands-supplies-still-stuck-port/711894001/

They need truck drivers.  Sidecar, you in the area?
Voting Democrat Will Destroy Your Family, Grow Government, Raise Your Taxes, Increase Crime, Reduce Individual Rights, And Diminish Western Civilization.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »

I might get a first hand report some day.  I have a nephew on Tol FD. He arrived in PR Thursday I assume. He is on some FEMA disaster relieve team as a paramedic.. He left Atl Thursday and that's the last we heard. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 09:48:06 PM »

Pretty lame for you BRD.  What does DJT going there have to do with the price of eggs?

https://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2017/09/dont-blame-federal-government-for.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/09/28/aid-trickling-into-puerto-rico-but-thousands-supplies-still-stuck-port/711894001/

They need truck drivers.  Sidecar, you in the area?

I'd volunteer but I don't think CL would let me go.  We have a sick pup here and she's our kid.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »

I might get a first hand report some day.  I have a nephew on Tol FD. He arrived in PR Thursday I assume. He is on some FEMA disaster relieve team as a paramedic.. He left Atl Thursday and that's the last we heard.

Hat off to your nephew both as a firefighter and for taking time out of his life to go to PR and give his time and skills to people. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up