MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Its That Morel Time of the Year!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Its That Morel Time of the Year!  (Read 3203 times)

The Chicken

• Hero Talker
  • Common sense is not so common... Voltaire
    • The Chicken Channel
Its That Morel Time of the Year!
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »

I would cut an paste this article, but there are some great pictures.. and they tell you of a Festival!!!

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detroit/May-2011/Boyne-City-039s-National-Morel-Mushroom-Festival/index.php?cparticle=2&siarticle=1#artanc
There is NO in-flight Beverage Service on the 747 to HELL!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Its That Morel Time of the Year!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »

I would cut an paste this article, but there are some great pictures.. and they tell you of a Festival!!!

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detroit/May-2011/Boyne-City-039s-National-Morel-Mushroom-Festival/index.php?cparticle=2&siarticle=1#artanc

We were out looking today but didn't find anything.

Well, we did see a big tom turkey.  Saw him first with his tail all spread out a long way from us.  Walked that way and never saw him run and suddenly my wife saw him about 10 or 12 ft from her and one of the dogs.  Tom ran and I turned the big red dog loose (we had two dogs but the other one is a runner and won't come back until he's ready) and she took Mr. turkey for a run through the fields.  When she got close to him he finally flew way up high in the air...    just amazing really how high and far they can fly.

We heard a couple of pheasants...  saw some rabbits and squirrels....    and lots of different wildflowers are in bloom.  Our Trillium is loaded with flowers this year...   don't ever remember seeing so many on it....    but we didn't see a single morel...   maybe tomorrow or the next day :) :) :)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:56 PM »

You've got me drooling. Just moved to a new area, and don't know where to start looking. but I WILL look!

Aguilera

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:22:02 PM »

We have been looking for about 2 weeks.  The Sunday before last we found twenty little grays.  Since then........4 more.  It is getting a bit discouraging.  I love the hunt and plan on going out again tonight.  We have gone almost every day since the end of April. 

I will say we went out to Pointe Moulee (sp?) and found that to be a very SCARY place.  Besides for the shotgun shells everywhere and the random deer carcases, we found nothing.  Not even where a shroom was cut off.  I couldn't believe how many dead deer were littering an area in different stages of decay.  Do people not have any pride anymore?  Gross.............

Another thing, watch the ticks this year.  I have roamed the woods since I was a child and have NEVER had a tick on me.  I found 2 on me within the past 2 days.  Thank God that neither had seemed to bite me and neither were embedded in my skin.  Sick.  I will definately be checking myself over more when we get out of the woods.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »

We have been looking for about 2 weeks.  The Sunday before last we found twenty little grays.  Since then........4 more.  It is getting a bit discouraging.  I love the hunt and plan on going out again tonight.  We have gone almost every day since the end of April. 

I will say we went out to Pointe Moulee (sp?) and found that to be a very SCARY place.  Besides for the shotgun shells everywhere and the random deer carcases, we found nothing.  Not even where a shroom was cut off.  I couldn't believe how many dead deer were littering an area in different stages of decay.  Do people not have any pride anymore?  Gross.............

Another thing, watch the ticks this year.  I have roamed the woods since I was a child and have NEVER had a tick on me.  I found 2 on me within the past 2 days.  Thank God that neither had seemed to bite me and neither were embedded in my skin.  Sick.  I will definitely be checking myself over more when we get out of the woods.

I hear you about the ticks Aguilera...   I posted this about them just this morning in the "songs stuck in your head thread" :) :) :)

I was out working in the yard and woods most of the day yesterday...

I found one tick crawling on my ear and then my wife checked me over and found one trying to get "dug in" on my shoulder blade...

I guess I shouldn't have been singing this song out in the woods 8* 8* 8*

Brad Paisley - Ticks (Live) (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

And I've been checking my hidden morel spot every couple of days and haven't found anything yet either :-\ :-\ :-\
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

The Chicken

• Hero Talker
    • The Chicken Channel
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »

don't they like wet warm mornings?  Maybe its been too wet or not warm enough...

I know the people who would hunt shrooms in our woods, it was a family with five kids..  They would fill bread bags with Morels..

I bet they were the only ones to ever go into those woods..  None of us or our neighbors were ever interested...  These people were once out neighbors, that's why they always came back to hunt there...  They lived on the other side of Milan.. and during season never missed a Saturday... 

Maybe the people who live there now would let you go in the woods to hunt.. There is little Sandy Creek that also runs through those woods.. but I don't know how well anymore..  That creek is so overgrown with trees and crap.. I bet the Pike don't run up that far as they one did...  I ran down a lot of pike when I was a kid and would catch them with my bare hands..

But I do know.. They would fill bread bags with Mushrooms..  They would freeze them...

The Address is 2401 Yensch Road... Dundee zip Code.. not Maybee  In Case BRD has a map for that..  but those woods are within Day, Yensch, Stewart and Plank Roads...  But the part of the woods where I am taking about is near Day Road... 

It will be at least  month before I can make it up there... and I think June is pretty much the last month or it gets too hot...  Am I right? 

Seriously.. If you want to go and look..  Maybe the people living there would let you.. doesn't hurt to ask..

ell

• Hero Talker
  • Nothing beats a good paddle
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »

I found a few morels in my yard under my apple trees.  It was the first time I've seen them in the 24 years we've lived here.  They were delicious.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thouroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Aguilera

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »

Thanks Chicken!  Do you have any particular people that are nice that may say yes?  We, my two sons and my husband and I, have made it a new hobby but it gets boring walking around for 2 hours and finding one.  That's what happened tonight.  I love the hunt.  Don't ask me why but I do! 

We have gone three years in a row behind Munson Park and found one once........nothing in two years.  What a bummer!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 12:45:10 AM »

Hey chicken that's the area where I was raised. My parents bought your grandparents farm back in 1950. We used to go out in that area every spring. I thought Little Sandy Creek ran along Oelke Road farther North of Day Road. There was a fence row there where we found about 3 bushels when I was a kid. The next year the farmer had it all bull dozed out. We used to walk that creek everyday in the spring looking for Pike. I'm suprised we didn't run into you out there. We walked the fields in the summer looking for arrow heads. My brothers have quite a collection of them with spear heads and tomahawks.

Three of my brothers and my nephew have been finding them for over a week now. One found 42 by an old elm tree stump. Most are the early gray ones but some were about 4 inches tall. The late orange ones should be up soon and are a lot easier to find. All this rain and muggy weather should bring them up now.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:03:31 AM by Tiny »
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

The Chicken

• Hero Talker
    • The Chicken Channel
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 02:05:18 AM »

There is another little creek that runs under Yensch between Oelke and Ostrander.. But this one is approximately 1/8 mile south of Day Road and runs south of Day.. coming almost along side of it before it crosses Day Road.. then it travels somewhere between Day and Stone.. Then I think it crosses Stone.. I know it winds and turns a lot, because its the same creek that runs behinds my Aunts house on Blue Bush, east of Raisinville..

The Culvert was probably five feet as it goes under Yensch.. I played there all the time.. and there was another spot in Rehbergs farm where they had a partial stone bridge.. and a low bank.. We built a fort there..

One time.. I was singing inside the culvert.. good acoustics..  I was singing Roberta Flacks' Killing Me Softly.. and these older boys.. there were three of them.. They were not men but older than me.. 

They walked up on me because they were spear fishing... I was never so embarrassed in all my life..

Was that you?

LOL..  I know I already told you about the time I put my car in the ditch in the dead of winter.. freezing cold and snow everywhere..  Your parents house was the nearest one.. It was late at night and I was on a toot!..  I told them my grandparents owned the farm before them.. they remembered the name.. They were so nice.. I think you mother made me tea and you father and brother got a tractor.. pulled my car out... Still had time to make the bars in Maybee!!!..

They were very nice people....

We will have to wait on an official map ruling about Little Sandy Creek from Big Red Dog...

How late do Morels stay in season?  I have no problems asking people who live there if we can go in the woods... I am sure I can talk somebody along there into anyway.. I mean.. all we want to do is look for mushrooms...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:43 AM »

I finally found ONE yesterday...   in a strange place to say the least...

I'd taken the big red dog for a walk and we looked while we were on our walk...

I wish I could teach her to sniff them out for me ;) ;) ;)

No luck so I started mowing some lawn...   finally went out to mow a little field are we hadn't mowed yet this year and happened to see one just before the mower ran over it.  No where near anyplace we've ever found them before...   But we'll take it 8) 8) 8)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:02:33 AM »

I found a few morels in my yard under my apple trees.  It was the first time I've seen them in the 24 years we've lived here.  They were delicious.

We've always had good luck looking around old apple trees ell...

not sure what it is...  if it's just he right combination of soil or if  they feed off something on the roots of the apple trees or something like that.  Just know it's a good place to start looking!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:11:37 AM »

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »

Not a fungus fan....never could stand 'shrooms.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 09:19:54 AM »

Not a fungus fan....never could stand 'shrooms.

That's OK Ff...   leaves more of them for those of us that are fans ;) ;) ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up