MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Its That Morel Time of the Year!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Its That Morel Time of the Year!  (Read 2853 times)

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
Re: Its That Morel Time of the Year!
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »

Usually I don't have a lot of luck IN the woods, maybe along the edge of the woods, or a creek or fence row with trees and not a lot of grass. Can't be too sunny or have too thick brush or grass. Needs to be able to see the soil and not too dry. Old apple orchards with dead trees are good too.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 08:12:26 PM »

Chicken, I dug out my year book and found your picture. What happened to your eye in seventh grade? That bandage looks bad?  :-[

The Chicken

• Hero Talker
  • Common sense is not so common... Voltaire
    • The Chicken Channel
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »

Chicken, I dug out my year book and found your picture. What happened to your eye in seventh grade? That bandage looks bad?  :-[

I got hit by a car while riding my ten speed in Dundee.. I was hit at M50 and the East side of the bridge.. near the log cabin laundry mat..  What really messed me up was the loose gravel.. and I landed on the bottom of a broken beer bottle that cut me all around my eye..  I was knocked out cold.. My cheek was like ground hamburger...

But hey.. in 87, I wrapped my car around a tree.. went through the dash of my Chevelle with my head.. broke the same eye socket/cheek bone.. was scalped from my eyebrows to my crown.. .. split my skull open.. shattered my collar bone.. ribs.. broke my back and a compound fracture of my right femur for which I still have a plate and 8 screws holding it together... lol 

all this complaining I do about my back.. and why I can't walk.. It tracks back to that accident and how arthritis has surrounded my injury on my spine.. They is nothing that can be done about it...

Through the wonders of plastic surgery Dr. Levy and Dr. Melonkis put the rest of me back together..  It was a miracle I survived..   Just last year, I had to have some cysts taken off my eye lids.. While the doctor was there.. he abraised off the scar I had below my brow from that accident when I was 12..  It wasn't a bad scar.. they had not cleaned it well before they stitched it, and over the years dirt surfaces and the scar was blueish..  But Its gone now!!!!

But that picture in the yearbook... It was the first day I returned to school and I did not know it was picture day...  They made me get it taken... They also gave me my pictures that year.. lol   

I think the yearbook photo was black and white.. The color ones are much better.. you can see the blood spot on my bandage.. I actually found a way to make money by letting other kids pay a quarter to see what it was like behind my bandage.. It was pretty gross.. you don't get to look at what I have for free... lol 

I had an uncle that teased me because they wanted to graft Skin from my butt.. he said every time I would scratch my face.. it would smell like my butt...  Yes.. just what a 12 year old wants to hear...
There is NO in-flight Beverage Service on the 747 to HELL!

Aguilera

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 03:24:25 PM »

Anyone find one this week??  Tiny???? 

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 04:31:55 PM »

Haven't been out, maybe this weekend. Supposed to be warm and sunny.

Aguilera

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 08:07:16 AM »

I went out to a friend's house last night who said he had them growing all over........I was so excited.  They were the flat things that grow off of trees.  :(  Found nothing.

Went out to my usual spot and found nothing again.......

When do you think it will be too late?  I have heard that people either think that the season will come later this year or not at all?  Your expert opinion would be great..............:)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 07:20:12 PM »

Anyone find one this week??  Tiny????

One is exactly what I found Aguilera :( :( :(
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 08:48:33 PM »

I went out to a friend's house last night who said he had them growing all over........I was so excited.  They were the flat things that grow off of trees.  :(  Found nothing.

Went out to my usual spot and found nothing again.......

When do you think it will be too late?  I have heard that people either think that the season will come later this year or not at all?  Your expert opinion would be great..............:)

No one is an expert when it comes to morels.
I will let you know what I think after I go out this weekend.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »

No one is an expert when it comes to morels.
I will let you know what I think after I go out this weekend.

Isn't that the truth ;) ;) ;)   

A lot of "luck" involved for sure...

We have one spot on our property where they've been plentiful for many, many years.  So far this year I've gotten just one morel there and it was really at the extreme edge of "the spot" :-\ :-\ :-\

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »

Isn't that the truth ;) ;) ;)   

A lot of "luck" involved for sure...

We have one spot on our property where they've been plentiful for many, many years.  So far this year I've gotten just one morel there and it was really at the extreme edge of "the spot" :-\ :-\ :-\

Maybe you need another set of eyes, like mine, to assist.   ;)
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »

Maybe you need another set of eyes, like mine, to assist.   ;)

I've even been training the big red dog to "smell them out" ;) ;) ;)

Still no luck...   I think just a very strange combination of weather conditions this year...

I'll take a few more trips out there this week but I think the season in this part of the state is about done for this year :-\ :-\ :-\

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »

I'm going out today as well. It may be over but the late mushrooms can surprise you. One negative thing is the amount of mosquitos already on the attack. It seems like they just started.I do remember years past where the mosquitos practically carried you away while mushroom hunting. Using that as a guide it might not be too late.
Any success will be posted later--minus the location of course.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 10:25:29 PM »

We didn't find any this weekend, the air just felt drier and the ground even looked drier. The skeeters were a B.... and the grass and weeds have jumped out of the ground, making it hard to see anything. All signs of the end of the season. We gave up for this year.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:42 AM »

We didn't find any this weekend, the air just felt drier and the ground even looked drier. The skeeters were a B.... and the grass and weeds have jumped out of the ground, making it hard to see anything. All signs of the end of the season. We gave up for this year.

The mosquitoes are out in force Tiny...

and I agree with your other "end of season" signs...

We've got a spot right in our own woods that we can check pretty quick and easy so we'll keep an eye on that for another week or so but other than that I guess we're done too :( :( :(

Aguilera

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »

:'(

This year was pretty much a bust for us!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up