MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > What do you do with pesky wildlife that moves to the City?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you do with pesky wildlife that moves to the City?  (Read 1429 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
What do you do with pesky wildlife that moves to the City?
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:28 AM »

We have friends in the city (of Monroe) that had some of their porch furniture destroyed a few days ago.  Left big muddy paw prints on the porch and pulled a lot of the stuffing out of the chair cushions.  I told her a wild critter is either looking for food (I'd guess the stuffing is synthetic so probably not a good food) or for something to build a nest with (it is springtime when lots of critters have their young). 

They finally caught a glimpse of it on Wednesday and it sure sounds like a woodchuck and it was seen heading for their shed.  I'm guessing by now it's probably tunneling under the shed!!!

I know how I handle them out in the country but pretty sure there's no exemption that allows anyone to shoot them within the city limits (anyone speak authoritatively on that?).

When we get home I'll take a couple of live traps in and try to trap it.  No telling how long that might take and also how much more damage it may do.

Does the city have any resources to help residents with an issue like this?

Sesame Street: How Much Wood Can a Woodchuck Chuck?

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Maverick

• Hero Talker
Re: What do you do with pesky wildlife that moves to the City?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 09:08:17 AM »

Conibear trap. Probably spelled that wrong !!!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »

Conibear trap. Probably spelled that wrong !!!

No, you spelled it right...

I just see one of the neighbor's dogs or cats ending up in my live traps and the Conibear is not going to be as forgiving to any domestic critter that comes snooping around.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »

These are the same live traps we use but in all my years I've never caught a critter this fast!!!

How To Catch A Groundhog

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:51 AM »

Good question - did anyone try "animal control"...  or is that just a domestic animal agency?
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »

My neighbor and i have shot at least a dozen woodchucks that liked to raid our gardens.  I wasn't happy the first year they waited until my broccoli plants were ready to start picking and one night they shredded every one of them.
I did set a live trap like in your pic and caught a baby raccoon.  I took that to a woods a couple of miles away.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 05:56:53 PM »

Another alternative is practice your "archery" skills in the location of the critter's entrance.

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »

Good question - did anyone try "animal control"...  or is that just a domestic animal agency?

When our neighbors had raccoons in their attic neither the DNR nor Animal Control would help with removal...   call a pest control operator!!!  I would guess this is going to fall under the same scenario but with (hopefully) less destruction of property. 

My neighbor and i have shot at least a dozen woodchucks that liked to raid our gardens.  I wasn't happy the first year they waited until my broccoli plants were ready to start picking and one night they shredded every one of them.
I did set a live trap like in your pic and caught a baby raccoon.  I took that to a woods a couple of miles away.

I'm pretty sure you can't shoot them within the city limits but I guess I don't know that for a fact.  That would certainly be the quickest and easiest way to go.  Anyone know for sure about discharging a firearm in the city limits?

Another alternative is practice your "archery" skills in the location of the critter's entrance.

Two things I never got around to...

golf and archery!

I guess if I could get close enough to the critter with a golf club in my hand I could dispose of it that way too ;D ;D ;D

I see lots of people down here carrying an old golf club when they're out walking their dogs (or just walking) in case another dog gets too 'involved'!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »

Although the critter hasn't been 'observed' again I stopped by after we got home and there are lots of signs it has taken up residence under their shed.  I'm on my way there later so we can clean everything from around the shed and open it all up and hopefully the critter will just decide to move somewhere that's it more secluded.  Will at least make it easier to see and hopefully easier to trap if that's what we have to do.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »

I went over to their house on Saturday and we cleaned out around the shed down to the bare gravel and dirt.  Raked everything back level and they've put down another application of 'Repel All'.

http://www.bonide.com/products/garden-naturals/view/2360/repels-all-granules

They got it at Lowes.

They yesterday I was working outside (between raindrops) and decided to clean out the dog kennel in the barn while the dog (this is the one that had the stroke) is lounging around in the house.  The dog has been out of there for two weeks and already some tunneling critter has moved in and started working...

so off to Lowes today and we got a jug of the same stuff.  Looks like it works on quite a few various critters.

Also found this on YouTube in case you're into brewing your own.  My wife is going to get some peppers and try a batch and we'll see if it works any better than the commercial stuff.

How to Make Hot Pepper Spray to Deter Garden Critters & Trapping Coons

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 09:10:49 PM »

We can shoot in Bedford township. People even have shooting ranges in their back yard. Must have a bank or wall to stop bullets..

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »

They were out with the police department on a fire call.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 06:08:45 PM »

A few years ago we had a raccoon with distemper that was hanging around our back yard, near the house/deck. I came home after work one day and it was sitting on it's haunches, drooling and kind of out of it. I called the sheriff dept. and asked if they could send animal control out to get it. They said AC doesn't do that and they didn't know of anyone who would. Said to take care of it the best way I could. I mentioned I could take care of it if they didn't mind me shooting it. They said " do what you gotta do".

I had to go into my neighbors yard to shoot it in my yard, to minimize any danger. This is in Bedford township. Damn. Racoons don't die easy.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »

"Raccoons don't die easy."

Neither do opossums!
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 08:27:54 PM »

There weren't any bears actually 'in' Midland when we lived there although you would occasionally find one not too much north of there.  This one was probably on the prowl for a bit of bear companionship and ended up making a wrong turn!!!

http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/bear-caught-after-wandering-midland-neighborhood

Pages: [1]   Go Up