MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 11:49:02 AM 
Started by eriemermaid - Last post by BigRedDog
Actually my question is on something I haven't seen in the news yet this morning.

My oldest daughter called me about something she saw on Facebook last night...

a train hit a car on Dunbar Road (tracks closest to Laplaisance).  She wanted to know if I had heard it on the fire scanner.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't hear anything.

Anyone else see something on Facebook or hear something on the scanner?

on: Today at 10:17:44 AM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by BigRedDog
We drove by JJ's yesterday and there were a couple of service vehicles in the drive.  The whole parking lot had been plowed which seemed a little strange.  No sigh of any 'grand opening' but also no 'opening soon' sign either :-\ :-\ :-\

Panda is open. I ate there last night for the first time ever. The girls said they opened Tuesday at 1;00. They threw that place up overnight practically.
I had orange chicken and Walnut shrimp and it was ok. There menu is not extensive but theres a good selection especially if you find something you like and stick with it.
They were packed and I think they'll do good at that location.
It would be interesting to know the whole story on what Jimmy John's took so long.

Yes, would make a good business course in how 'not' to do an opening vs. how the Panda place did there project.

We didn't make it north of the river yesterday but we'll make it a destination one of these afternoons.

on: Today at 10:08:58 AM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by BigRedDog
Different yes.  Principle the same.  The electrical systems were the issues, not the mechanical systems.  Road salt, chemical de-icers and CaCl are hell on electrical systems and Tesla is no exception.  They all use the same Molex and physical connections and are all prone to water and corrosion shorting....

and Tesla's QC is questionable anyway.

Glad I'm not in the market for a remote polluting plug in electric vehicle of any kind.

Every vehicle you own or drive already has a fairly complicated electrical 'system'. 

With modern OEM battery technology I'm typically seeing up to 7 years of life on an original battery. 

The last starter I changed was at around the 120,000 mile (9 years hanging down in all the good stuff you're describing) mark. 

That same vehicle needed an alternator at only 100,000 miles.  It was probably just a $7.00 set of brushes but it made more sense just to swap it out with a rebuilt under the circumstances.

Neither the starter or the alternator on that vehicle were anything but 90's technology plain old Ford 'technology'!!!

Only time will tell I guess.

I see FoMoCo is working on an electric F150. 

A lot of people don't realize that the first automobiles were all electric powered.  An electric motor is very simple while a comparable powered gasoline engine is 'very' complicated.

Many electrics back in the 1800s and they were actually 'killed' by Henry Ford's ability to build a lower cost vehicle.

Here's a quote from a great resource:

Many innovators take note of the electric car’s high demand, exploring ways to improve the technology. For example, Thomas Edison thought electric vehicles were the superior mode of transportation and worked to build a better battery.

Lots more on early electric vehicles at:

https://energy.gov/articles/history-electric-car

on: Today at 09:45:09 AM 
Started by Deanna - Last post by BigRedDog
Amy caught that on the Net.  I bet it's them.  Fits the profile.  I'm just thinking that if they were found in a box in Missoula, Montana, Skelton had help.  Wasn't a lone wold job.

I'm pretty sure they can ID with DNA.  Skelton need his head placed in a vise and slowly tightened.  Bet he'd talk then, either that or his fingers smashed one at a time with a hammer.

It would seem unlikely there are too many groups of 3 bodies with those approximate ages out there.

The dad (sperm donor...   can't say he was much of a dad) has always said he gave the boys away to someone he didn't know.  This scenario may actually give some credence to his story.  Maybe he didn't actually kill them but he certainly didn't keep them from the potential danger!

I've been personally involved with a few of those eviction clean outs.  In this case it's good that the crew was opening boxes and looking to see what is inside the boxes.  Sometimes they do that to see if there are any valuables in the boxes.  I've never been around when they found a body but I have seen some mighty strange things that people leave behind!

on: Today at 09:40:08 AM 
Started by Deanna - Last post by blue2
The best hope is that they are still alive somewhere but the relatives do need closure.

on: Today at 09:38:41 AM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by blue2
I don't know why anyone would serve instant mashed potatoes.  It's so easy to put one in the microwave for 3 or 4 min then mash it up with some sour cream and butter.

on: Today at 08:40:07 AM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by SidecarFlip
Don't know if they are satisified (UPS) with their fleet of hybrids.  I'd say it's more like saving face and 'appearing satisified' for the public more than anything else.  They (UPS Hybrids) seem to spend a lot of time in the shop (Freightiner), getting worked on.

In actuality, I don't care.  No hybrid crap in my driveway and will never be either.  If I want a toaster I'll get a 2 slice.

on: Today at 08:35:46 AM 
Different yes.  Principle the same.  The electrical systems were the issues, not the mechanical systems.  Road salt, chemical de-icers and CaCl are hell on electrical systems and Tesla is no exception.  They all use the same Molex and physical connections and are all prone to water and corrosion shorting....

and Tesla's QC is questionable anyway.

Glad I'm not in the market for a remote polluting plug in electric vehicle of any kind.

on: Today at 08:30:22 AM 
Started by Deanna - Last post by SidecarFlip
Amy caught that on the Net.  I bet it's them.  Fits the profile.  I'm just thinking that if they were found in a box in Missoula, Montana, Skelton had help.  Wasn't a lone wold job.

I'm pretty sure they can ID with DNA.  Skelton need his head placed in a vise and slowly tightened.  Bet he'd talk then, either that or his fingers smashed one at a time with a hammer.

on: Today at 08:24:49 AM 
Chinese Sizzling in Dumbdee is close for us and I bet better,.  Never a bad meal, very polite and attentive wait staff and so clean you can eat off the floor....  and very reasonable prices too.

Only thing that we don't like there is their brocolli.  The saute it in something I don't care for.  Tastes like shitte.

Kind of disappointed with the coney island next door to them.  Had some good meals there, Al's Club sandwich is excellent, so is their burgers and coney's but I had the liver and onions and it was tastless.  Their mashed potatoes are instant and horrible, their spaghetti and meatballs blow and their pancakes ( with breakfast) are bogus too.

If you go there, stick with the onion rings (real not chopped and excellent) and standard fare and no cakes with breakfast, french toast instead.

Prices are real good at both the Coney Island and Chinese Sizzling and at the Sizzling, you might have to wait in line to get in at peak times.  It's popular.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10